Occupation Duty

Ah organized incessant boredom. Three hoo-rahs for the occupation army! :drinkin::drinkin::drinkin:

I've often heard that things got a bit crazy in Europe with the G.I.s because there was nothing to do and that's when ol' trouble would start to brew. Let's look at the formula, bored young men who just fought a war + mindless jobs + loneliness = total craziness with much drinking and carousing! Lots of men wound up in the brink!

:pdt40:

I know my dad didn't get home until November of that year and I wondered what the heck all those engineers did for nearly six months ??

But the real prize was a German middle aged man, Herr Wulff, who spoke both German and English, who I hired as my civilian deputy. He managed, bought, stole, wheedled, bargained, traded and procured all our needs at no cost to us.

Ah, now there is a real prize of man. Sounds like he was the best thing that could have happened to the 3rd Inf Div Occupation Army. As you said, he probably did a few things that the "normal" you wouldn't have done, but I'll tell you if I was there, I would have done the same thing. A little creative license after all you guys had gone through. It was all part of your "pay" and well earned as far as I'm concerned. The drinks are on me. :drinkin: Wow, how much aspirin was acquisitioned from medical supplies? You guys must of had some dillies of hangovers!! Oh my aching head... :pdt12::pdt12:

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Messages In This Thread
Occupation Duty - by 3_7_I_Recon - 06-28-2005, 11:20 PM
Occupation Duty - by Walt's Daughter - 06-29-2005, 06:45 AM
Occupation Duty - by j3rdinf - 06-29-2005, 08:03 PM
Occupation Duty - by texas38 - 06-30-2005, 01:06 AM
Occupation Duty - by Walt's Daughter - 06-30-2005, 10:30 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post