My dad's DOG TAGS!

Guess what? My husband was going through the boxes that we brought home when we closed on my house this month and lo and behold while rummaging through an old button tin, he found a real treasure. I heard, "Honey, you aren't going to believe what I found!" And there in this tin that almost got tossed, were my dad's tags. Oh I was dancing. Tell me that the gods haven't been shining down on my lately. I think I have several guardian angels. -o--o--o-

What were the odds????

Still dancing in Alger

:bluejumper:

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Marion I can relate to that yea what a awesome treasure.

mom (mom turn 90 in aug) was going through some paper ,she came across all of dad order`s i saved them from the file nine bucket.

dad`s dog tags are in here jewery box`s

sharon

My advice to everyone now is to go through every little tin, cardboard box, scraps of paper, etc. You never know where you will find the next little treasure.

Here's to our dad's dog tags! :drinkin:

Marion J Chard

I can relate very much to the foregoing postings. How important these treasures are.

In my case it is letters and other documents.

A British Royal Artillery soldier was killed by a landmine shortly after landing at Agnone, Sicily. His daughter had been born just before he left England for the Mediterranean so of course she never knew her father. She was able to send me copies of letters he wrote home, photos, service documents - in some cases originals for me to scan.

With this we were able to build up a picture of what was happening over 60 years ago. It also means that in May 2005 I will be visiting the area where he died and the War Cemetery at Syracusa where he is buried and taking a headstone photo for Barbara as a thank you for her help in my research. He is not forgotten.

Colin.

Mare; I know how you must feel coming across those dog tags of your fathers.

Heaven knows where mine ever ended up. After so many moves, things seem to come up missing.

Now, I don't want to act Maudlin, but your discovery reminds me of an insident long ago. It all started out with a pair of womens whatchamacallits. You know, Shorts that are made to look like shorts. Well,---my wife flo, had a pair, and they were pea green, and green WAS in fasion then. I ask her if she would refrain from wearing them out in public, even if it was in the back yard. she said she liked them and would wear them if she wanted. So, one day I put them in the garage insinerater and up they went, never to be thought of again-----untill, one day, during Desert torm, I felt a bit nostalgic, and went to look at my uniform, you know--- olive green, creased pants, sgt stripes, good conduct & ruptured duck medals. It was nowhere to be found. Sooo, I asked Flo if she knew where they were. All she said was, remember my(i just rembered the name) culots.That's all she had to say I'm just

thankful thats all she threw out. GOD Help us keep our memories

Mare;; Dad must be up there saying------"That's my little girl"

Your tribute to him is bound with love

chucktoo

Mare;  I know how you must feel coming across those dog tags of your fathers.

Heaven knows where mine ever ended up. After so many moves, things seem to come up missing.

Now, I don't want to act Maudlin, but your discovery reminds me of an insident long ago. It all started out with a pair of womens whatchamacallits. You know, Shorts that are made to look like shorts. Well,---my wife flo, had a pair, and they were pea green, and green WAS in fasion then. I ask her if she would refrain from wearing  them out in public, even if it was in the back yard. she said she liked them and would wear them if she wanted. So, one day I put them in the garage insinerater and up they went, never to be thought of again-----untill, one day, during Desert torm, I felt a bit nostalgic, and went to look at my uniform, you know--- olive green, creased pants, sgt stripes, good conduct & ruptured duck medals. It was nowhere to be found. Sooo, I asked Flo if she knew where they were. All she said was, remember my(i just rembered the name) culots.That's all she had to say I'm just

thankful thats all she threw out. GOD Help us keep our memories

Mare;; Dad must be up there saying------"That's my little girl"

Your tribute to him is bound with love

chucktoo

Aww, she threw out your uniform? I don't think the exchange rate was quite fair. Sheez, I would have thrown out the green shorts too. :lol::lol:

:wub: Aww, shucks thanks, Chuck. I hope I am making him proud. This is the most fun I've ever had doing research. Well heck, it's close to home. I look forward to every little sentence of info I receive. To me it's like being a little kid at Christmas.

:clappin:

Marion J Chard

I can relate very much to the foregoing postings. How important these treasures are.

In my case it is letters and other documents.

A British Royal Artillery soldier was killed by a landmine shortly after landing at Agnone, Sicily. His daughter had been born just before he left England for the Mediterranean so of course she never knew her father. She was able to send me copies of letters he wrote home, photos, service documents - in some cases originals for me to scan.

With this we were able to build up a picture of what was happening over 60 years ago. It also means that in May 2005 I will be visiting the area where he died and the War Cemetery at Syracusa where he is buried and taking a headstone photo for Barbara as a thank you for her help in my research. He is not forgotten.

Colin.

Oh Colin, wish I could be in Italy for the Commemoration Ceremony for the 60th Anniversary. Well unless I come into a whole load of money between then and now... Hey, I will live it vicariously through you. I am counting on you to take pics and send them to me.

The committee that's putting it together (see post under Anything WWII - 60th Anniv...) asked me to submit something for possible inclusion for the ceremony. I thought that was awesome. I am trying to think about what I am going to write. I would like to do honors for my dad and his entire unit. Have to put my brain into overdrive.

I'm glad that you could put together some history for the daughter of that vet. I KNOW how grateful she must be. Three cheers for Colin for filling in some of the void in her life. :drinkin: Drinks are on me!!!

Marion J Chard

Marion: Just read this older one from you. Great find gal. Still had one of mine along with my CIB, ETO medal and ribbon with battle stars and my Bronze Star and other

useless sundry stuff but my brother showed up about 2 months ago with my other dog

tag in a cigar box filled with pics and letters from way back when. Quite a find, so kinow just how you feel. These things were only missing for over 60 years or so when we both married and moved out of my dads house. By the way, check out ww2 myths.

Joe, yeah I was really excited. And to think that the little tin almost got left behind, but grabbed at the very last moment. I know that dad was guiding our hand in that one. Wow! Yes, I guess you DO know how I felt. It still gives me goose bumps when I think about it. Must be the year for lost dog tags! :pdt20:

Marion J Chard

Marion,

I can relate to your wanting to dance with the find of such a treasure. While up taking care of my daddy he gave me his dog tags and some jewelry that he made for my mother while he was over in Korea. This was such a great honor as I will always have these to remember him by. He has given my husband his Trench Coat, snake bite kit that he was issued by the Army while he was overseas, even some old C-Rations that he had left from WWII. He has all of his orders and his citation letter from the President. He had all of his medals and insignias also. This is such a wonderful present anyone can every get.

They will be put on display in his house foreever.

MyDaddyMyHero

Proud Daughter of MSG. Vincent G. Leckey :pdt34:-o-