The Battleship of Presidents - USS Iowa

http://www.pacificbattleship.com/

The Battleship of Presidents - New home in LA

Built in 1940, the USS IOWA served our country for over 50 years. Designated the "World's Greatest Naval Ship" due to her big guns, heavy armor, fast speed, longevity and modernization, she kept pace with technology for more than 50 years.

USS IOWA is now transforming to the most interactive and educational museum of its kind and will make its new home in Los Angeles this year.

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

The Battleship was a proud symbol of our nation's military might. :clappin2:

All Hands...

With our special thanks to Molly Rossman of Oakland, California, and to Ron Barrett of Piedmont, California, All Hands will be receiving two sets of spectacular photos of USS Iowa in transit under the Golden Gate.

The set of 3 spectacular photos attached to this email are by Molly Rossman...

All Iowa photos are in High Resolution and should make great 9 x 10 prints suitable for framing.

Tom

Tom Helvig, CTRCM, USN/Retired (1953-1975)

Command Master Chief (1974-1975)

Volunteer Writer/Editor The Iowan History Letter

post-2-0-92994400-1338205329_thumb.jpg

post-2-0-74430700-1338205351_thumb.jpg

post-2-0-27420800-1338205372_thumb.jpg

Attached Files
.jpg   IOWA A.jpg (Size: 113.21 KB / Downloads: 0)
.jpg   IOWA B.jpg (Size: 113.16 KB / Downloads: 0)
.jpg   IOWA C.jpg (Size: 94.17 KB / Downloads: 0)
Marion J Chard
http://albums.phanfare.com/slideshow.aspx?i=1&db=1&pw=zxH4izc6&a_id=5597175
Marion J Chard

How would any battleship be greeted in San Francisco now? Protests?

Maj Todd O. USMC, Retired
Grandson of LTC John O'Brien

Hi Maj. Todd,

I suppose that's always possible, but people have been protesting our country's involvement in military conflicts dating back to The American Revolution and every war since then. The difference today is mass media. On TV a demonstration by 1000 people can look like ten thousand, depending on the camera's position. I believe that most Americans still consider themselves to be patriotic today and anyone who is old enough now to have had a father or a grandfather who served in WWII have nothing but respect for The Iowa and the Sailors who served on her.

I take for one form of evidence for my original comment the fact that the commercial that the Marines shot all over the US was originally intended to be shot by or on the Golden Gate Bridge. The SF Poweres-That-Be denied the USMC the permission so that scene in the commercial was shot with the Golden Gate in the background. Click here for a story from them time. This isn't the only evidence just one that I immediately remember. They just seem to never given up the '60's counter-culture mindset ad have voted those types into power.

But to heck with them, it made the commercial even better.

Maj Todd O. USMC, Retired
Grandson of LTC John O'Brien

That was a beautifully done commercial. Gives ya goosebumps if you know what I mean.

You know what really gets me about the anti-military people? They'd be the first ones screaming and hollering for protection if this nation was attacked and they and their loved ones were being killed and/or threatened. Those people live in some little utopia in their heads, and have no real concept of how the world runs, and who fought and died for their freedom, so they DO have the opportunity to shoot their mouths off at will.

Even as an teenager protesting the war in Vietnam, I was simply against an unjust and unnecessary war, not the military and not against the country my father fought to protect.

Long live the Marines!

Marion J Chard

Here's a video -

Shipmates...

An early look at what tours aboard Battleship Iowa will eventually include...

Tom

Tom Helvig, CTRCM, USN/Retired (1953-1975)

Command Master Chief (1974-1975)

Volunteer Writer/Editor The Iowan History Letter

68 Boothby Drive

Mt. Laurel, NJ 08054

Published on Sep 6, 2012 by JoeBuscaino

While only fifteen percent of the USS Iowa is currently available to be seen, Pacific Battleship President, Robert Kent says that in the next couple of years up to 95 percent will be available to the public. In this video he takes Los Angeles City Councilman Joe Buscaino along with members of the media on a tour the unseen USS Iowa.

Marion J Chard

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Philip P. Rowan named President/CEO Of the Battleship New Jersey Walt's Daughter 1 3,818 03-04-2012, 12:18 AM
Last Post: ND-Jim
  Funding rescinded for Battleship New Jersey Walt's Daughter 0 2,027 08-09-2011, 08:39 AM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter