1254th Engineers

Just an FYI on the book that was scanned and posted. If you look at the photo that accompanies the previous article about Major Crump, he's seen holding a book in his hand. That's the same unit history book that was scanned. Simply entitled, "Catfish".

Full disclosure: I have to give credit to my brother-in-law, George Sisson, for scanning the entire book. The only thing I did was convert from a bunch of single jpeg files for each page to one large PDF file for easier browsing.

John

If you ever need a PDF streamlined, just let me know. I have the full blown version of Adobe PDF and do this all the time. I should probably make your file smaller too, so it will be easier for others to download.

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Thanks, Marion. That could be a big help.

Just an FYI to other readers. I have a book called "World War II Order of Battle: An Encyclopedic Reference to U.S. Army Ground Forces from Battalion through Division, 1939-1946", by Shelby Stanton. It's great for finding out historical data about just about every unit, battalion size or higher, in the Army during WW2 with regard to certain critical dates and attachments to other units. I'm happy to look up information, scan it and forward to anyone who has an interest. The book is also on Amazon ("Prime" eligible, BTW) for about $67. Great reference book for the money.

John

Hi: A new friend who found our site this week, is actually looking for a physical copy of the book. I explained it would be a tough search, since these books are rare, but thought I'd put out the word for him. So...if anyone happens to come upon a hardbound copy, please let me know and I will pass along the info to the gentleman below.

Dear Marion

I just tonight discovered your wonderful site…, a great labor of honor and love certainly! I just became aware of the existence of the book “Catfish, The history of the 1254th Combat Engineer Battalion”….do you know where I can purchase an original? I would like to offer it as a gift to a friend who’s father was in the 1254th.Many thanks for your kind help.

Sincerely

Phil Vallerand

Marion J Chard

I am not aware of where you can find an original copy of the book. Our family has an original copy that was the source of the scanned copy that Marion was so kind to upload here. I did find a site that had information to the fact that a copy had sold on eBay last year, but I could find no more listings for the book on EBay today. I'll keep my eye out for a copy and, if I locate one, I'll post a notice here.

John

Thanks John. They are TOUGH to come by.

The book for my dad's unit, is of course rare too, and when I finally found one years ago, I wound up paying over $100.00 for it. They are rare and with rarity, comes cost!

Marion J Chard

Hi John, I want to thank you for scanning the book. I was over joyed to see my dad's picture in the last photo in the book. He is center of the back row. It looks like it might be from Washington or a training camp in the US.

Anyway - it was terrific and thanks to Marion for posting it. My dad name is John Conti who moved to NJ after the war, his address was his mother in law's in NY. Mom stayed there with my brother until dad came home in 45.

I noticed that my dad's name appears with the picture above. But he is standing in the last picture back row. So I think they have the two pictures mixed up. Dad's name appears along with 2nd squad 3rd platoon company C he is listed as J. Conti fourth from the left and that is where he is standing in the last picture of the book.

No big deal but it took me a few minutes to figure out why the total number of names didn't match the photos.

Ah, guess I will have to look at that.

Marion J Chard

Hi everyone!! It's been awhile since I was here. My dad was in the 1254th combat engineers, Creed R. Wallen. He passed March 10, 2015. I have pic but I don't know how to post them.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  special service engineers & rail engineers Ron Nash 17 586,994 11-15-2012, 10:43 AM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter