1275th Engineer Bn

My new friend Chris is trying to find information on his older brother's battalion. Here's his letter. Am going to see what I can find. Am writing to the Army Corps of Engineers Office of History, this morning.

Dear Marion,

Thank you for responding so quickly. I served as a Naval Aviator primarily in the Pacific from 1958 til 1966. I did not fly during the "hot war" in Viet Nam, at which time I was on staff duty on the east coast. I'm inquiring about my older brother William (Bill) Mays, who served in the 1275th combat engineers. He arrived in France on 25 May 1944 and his record (which was recovered from the burned out St Louis Facility), indicates he served in Northern France , The Ardennes, and the Rhineland. He then depaarted Europe and like so many others, was sent to the Pacific on 30 July arriving 9 September after the Japanese surrender. Any info regarding the 1275th during their stay in Europe would be greatly appreciated. I have difficulty finding his battalion.

Thanking you in advance.

Chris Mays

Chris informed me his brother is buried in Youngstown Ohio.

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

FINALLY! Finding a few things...

http://www.wilmon.com/normandy.html

The following list depicts each landing LST 493 made in France as recorded in the official deck logs. The information includes the location, date and time of beaching and retracting, military designations of personnel and equipment, and significant occurrences.

LeHavre 4/9/45 - 1456 4/9/45 - 1645 U.S. Army 1275th Eng. "C" B.U.- 288 officers and enlisted, 60 vehicles

Marion J Chard

I have asked him for further info on his brother, including birth date and serial number.

Marion J Chard

I found this name on Ancestry.com

Gochenauer Clair N. Conestoga Memorial Conestoga US Army 1275th Combat Batt. 1911-10/19/1979 Europe-Pacific

Will try and contact the family to see if they have any info on his unit.

Marion J Chard
Charles T Hackett who served with this combat engineer bn
Marion J Chard

Trying to locate any members or family members who may be able to assist.

Victor J Carnoali

Marion J Chard

Len Stoddard Brenchley

POCATELLO, Idaho - Len Stoddard Brenchley, 74, passed away at his home on July 8, 1999.

He was born Aug. 13, 1924, in Wellsville, Utah, to Thomas Clegg Brenchley and Catherine Stoddard Brenchley. He graduated from Cache High School and later earned a B.A. in education from Utah State University. He lived in Logan, Utah, until 1952 when he moved to Pocatello.

Len married LaWana Miller on September 3, 1947, in the Salt Lake LDS Temple.

He worked as an electrician prior to completing his schooling in education. He then worked as a teacher at Alameda Jr. High. This led to his becoming a guidance counselor there. Afterward, he transferred to Hawthorne Jr. High to work as a guidance counselor and the vice principal. He was also a boys' counselor when Highland High School opened in 1963. In 1966 he left Highland to work at Idaho State University Vo-Tech as a vocational guidance counselor. He retired in 1986.

While serving with the 1275th Army Engineering Battalion in Europe during World War II, Len received the Purple Heart award.

Len is survived by his wife, LaWana M. Brenchley, Pocatello; his sons, Douglas L. Brenchley, David (Brenda) Brenchley and Tom C. Brenchley, all of Pocatello; his daughters Alecia (Reynold) French, Rexburg, Idaho, DeAnn (Bill) Denney, Pocatello, Dawn (Randy) Moore, Pocatello, Wendy (Lannie) Workman, Pocatello and Jennifer (Evan) Harrison, Erda, Utah; one brother-in-law, George Leavitt, Honolulu, Hawaii; 22 grandchildren and 8 great-grandchildren. He was preceded in death by his parents and two sisters.

Marion J Chard

It's sad I can only find obits, but this may lead to a family member who wishes to disclose more info about their loved one and his service with the 1275th.

William W. Cloe Jr.

Date published: 6/11/2002

A funeral for William Weedon Cloe Jr., 77, of Stafford County will be held at 3 p.m. Wednesday at Aquia Episcopal Church. The Rev. Cuthbert Mandell will officiate. Burial will follow in the church cemetery.

Mr. Cloe died at his home Saturday, June 8, 2002.

A native of Stafford, he grew up at Laurel View, the family home.

He had retired as a statistician with the Occupational Safety and Health Administration.

Mr. Cloe, who was a 1949 graduate of the College of William & Mary and a 1952 graduate of George Washington University, was a life member of Aquia Episcopal Church. He served on the vestry for many years and sang in the choir.

Other memberships included the Stafford Lions Club, the Stafford County Historical Society and the Rappahannock Music Society.

He was an Army veteran of World War II, having served with the 1275th Combat Engineer Battalion in the European and Asiatic-Pacific theaters.

Survivors include his wife, Margaret Pillar Cloe; a daughter, Elizabeth Morrow Cloe of New York City; a son, William Weedon Cloe III of Mechanicsville; a sister, Mary Wright Cloe Gates of Visalia, Calif.; a brother, John Haile Cloe of Anchorage, Alaska; two grandchildren; and several nieces and nephews.

The family requests that expressions of sympathy take the form of contributions to the American Diabetes Association, Rappahannock Chapter, Box 1385, Fredericksburg, Va. 22402; or to Aquia Episcopal Church, Box 275, Stafford, Va. 22555.

Marion J Chard

Well this is certainly interesting... This is regarding a daughter's request for her father who was a member of the 1275th.

http://boards.law.af.mil/ARMY/BCMR/CY2007/20070006219.txt

This is a case brought up to the military board for reconsideration for a Purple Heart.

Marion J Chard

Richard "Happy" Lunn

RICHARD "HAPPY" LUNN

09th January 2011

LUNN RICHARD "HAPPY" 85, of Palm Harbor, passed away Jan. 5th. He was born in Carnegie, PA on May 28, 1925 and came to Florida in Oct. of 1970. He was a member of the 1275th Combat Engineer, serving in Europe and the Philippines during WW II. He is survived by his wife of 44 years, Dorothy; sons, Richard, Jr. of Pittsburgh and Frank of Palm Harbor; four grandchildren and three great-grandchildren. The family has requested donations be made to the Suncoast Hospice Foundation. Send condolences at post-gazette.com/gb

Marion J Chard