2837th Engineer Petroleum Distribution Co.

My name is Dave and I'm the son of a WWII Engineer. My dad, Paul Meek, was the company supply sgt for E Co. 368th Engineer (GS) Regiment and the 2837th Engineer Petroleum Distribution Co. in northern France. While he was not part of VI Corps, I hope someone here will be able to give me some information about these units, or point me to someplace that has some. I have had contact with the Corps of Engineers and received a history of the regiment. It's great, but raises a lot of questions as well. So, I hope to hear from some of you.

Dave, what kind of specific questions do you have?

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Sorry I haven't been active lately. Work drives me crazy.

In june, I met with Michael Brodhead at the Corps of Engineers support facility in Alexandria. They have a lot of WWII documentation, but not at the regiment, battalion or company level. For that I went to the National Archives and found unit histories, and photos, for both of my father's units.

Also, thanks to this site, I was able to find information on the convoy and ship that took my father to England. Stuff he would never discuss untill I was a veteran myself.

So thank you for pointing me in the right direction.

You are most welcome.

Yes, as far as the Alexandria facility, it can vary. I found some really good info there and it gave me a good start on my father's unit. Then NARA in Maryland was the BIG CATCH with hundreds upon hundreds of pages on the 540th. A real gold mine.

Happy to hear back from you and delighted to hear about your progress. So glad I could assist you.

Marion J Chard

Well received a phone call from Grant Allen, whose father was also with this company. He knew very little about his father's service and I told him I would try and reach Dave to see if I could put the two of them together. Well it worked, and last night they talked on the phone. Superb!

Dave thanks for getting in touch with Grant. Would love for the two of you to be able to share any info with the rest of us. :pdt12:

Marion J Chard

This is a pretty old thread, and I'm a newbie to this site. My dad was a staff sergeant in A Co., 368th GS Regiment. He didn't talk too much about his WWII experiences, other than he "pumped gas for Patton". I've since learned that the 368th was one of the engineering units that constructed and operated the major POL pipeline across northern France. I was told some time ago that there was no unit history for the 368th. Dave mentioned that he found unit histories in the NARA facility in Maryland.. I'd be interested to see if he was able to find anything about the 368th there.

Thanks!

Bill Darrow 

Hi and welcome. Thanks for posting.Yes, an old thread, but we have a habit of resurrecting old posts with a high success rate.  Hope we can fill in some gaps for you. 

Marion J Chard

Bill,

Search also in our "bible" https://archive.org/details/corpsofengineers00beck. Page 411

Colin.