29th Engineers US Army?

Received this letter yesterday:

Dear Marion,

I came across your web site while recently trying to find information about

my fathers experience in WWII. He is 87 years old and has trouble

remembering details about the war, so I may not have the correct information

to research. He told me he was in the 28th/29th Combat Engineer Battalion,

but I am having trouble locating anything about this division.

Would you be able to direct me to where I should go to research information

about this unit, or tell me if I need more information before continuing?

Any assistance you may offer, is greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,

Mari Nishiguchi

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Dear Mari:

So far I've only been able to find this info on the 29th Engrs.

29th Engrs (Topographic)

LTC George A Jacob, AUS Ret

272 Sea Woods Dr, N

St. Augustine FL 32084-6451

Phone: 904-461-8746 Fax: 904-461-8745

EMail: PPXX00C@prodigy.net

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have located a book on the 29th Engineers. Says there were stationed in Alaska.

Hammett, Dashiell; Colodny, Robert The Battle of the Aleutians: A Graphic History, 1942-1943 Illus: Sgt H. Fletcher 29th Engineers Adak, AK 1944 1st (scarce) wraps 5 1/2 x 8 na dj 20pp Fine as new, mint Produced by the Intelligence Section, Field Force HQ- Adak, AK Oct. '43 This very rare booklet about the war in Alaska was written by Dashiell Hammett in his pithy style. It is profusely illustrated and show GIs fighting and having fun in the cold weather. many maps show the chronology of events. A real collector's item. 29th engineers stationed with Headquarters Western Defense Command. 1944 Produced by the Intelligence Section, Field Force HQ-Adak, AK Oct. '43 This copy has been stored in a closed box for sixty years. It is the story about the war in the Aleutian Islands of Alaska. From the arrival of the Japanese at Dutch Harbor in June of 1942 through the campaigns of Kiska and Attu, Amchitka , Chichagof Harbor and others. "Even thse enemy detachments responsible for the small- arms fire reported by planes over the island [Kiska] after July 28th had cleared out..." Hammett was sent to the Aleutians in August, 1943, and in September of that year he was sent to Adak , where he was assigned to help compile a two-year history of the Aleutian Campai $212.00 Inventory Number 731-70027 Military WWII Aleutians

http://cornellpubs.home.comcast.net/Templa...es/MILITARY.htm

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You may also want to check out my Research Section on my forum at:

http://208.56.11.96/Invision/index.php?showtopic=23

I would strongly suggest contacting the Army Corps of Engineers. They generally have folders on each engineer unit and might be able to aid you in your research.

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Jack Hemstreet - 29th Inf Div - 11th FA Walt's Daughter 0 2,478 09-04-2015, 08:30 AM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter