345th engineers

My Dad Stephen F. Baker was in 345th engineers. He lived in Springfield,Mass. He was in the Rome Arno ,North appennines campaign, He was in the motor pool, and went to mine and demolition school in Naples in 1944. any info ,pictures , would be appreciated. I have a picture of him at the beach on the balcony of the red cross club overlooking the prominade with some war buddies. I wonder where that was located. I also have a picture of him with a jeep (lizzie) was painted on hood.The ID numbers on the hood last four I could make out was 5206 any pics of 345th would be appreciated as I post-205-0-53897700-1316308932_thumb.jpgmight spot him in pics.One of hid buddies was " Bull Nelson" wrote on back of picturepost-205-0-53897700-1316308932_thumb.jpgpost-205-0-50163200-1316309053_thumb.jpgpost-205-0-26716300-1316309645_thumb.jpg

Bob Baker email (removed for privacy sake by M1 - too many spammers can get a hold of your email - Our policy is for members to get in touch with you via private messages on our forum. They simply click your username to get in touch with you. If non-forum members need to get in touch with you, they can write to me and I will put you in touch.)

Attached Files
.jpg   9-17-2011 9;22;02 PM dad pic 2.jpg (Size: 112.88 KB / Downloads: 0)
.jpg   9-17-2011 9;24;05 PM dad pic3.jpg (Size: 46.58 KB / Downloads: 0)
.jpg   9-17-2011 9;25;42 PM dad pic 4.jpg (Size: 64.18 KB / Downloads: 0)

The 345th Engineer General Service Regiment was activated on 15 June 1942 at Camp Crowder, Mo. The 345th was deactivated at Foggia, Italy on June 30, 1946.

In Italy they were under the command of The Peninsular Base Section.

Campaign Credits:

29. Naples-Foggia

31. Northern Apennines

35. Rome-Arno

Meritorious Unit Commendations:

1 Jan - 6 Aug 44, General Order 47, Hqs. Peninsular Base Section, dated 9 Feb 45.

6 Aug 44 - 1 April 45, General Order 208, Hqs. Peninsular Base Section, dtd 6 Aug 45.

There are several mentions of the 345th EGSR in "THE CORPS OF ENGINEERS: THE WAR AGAINST GERMANY".

Tasks of Base Section Engineers

Base section engineers drew a multitude of assignments. Many of them were calls for a few men to sweep mines, clear away debris, or repair plumbing. Others' tasks were larger. The ninety-five work orders the 345th Engineer General Service Regiment handled in August 1944 ranged from repairing a water faucet at Villa Maria (the General Officers Rest Camp in Naples) to installing 225 pieces of equipment for a huge quartermaster laundry and dry cleaning plant at Bagnoli.

This unit was the first base section engineer construction organization in Na-

ples. Its early assignments included setting up an engineer and a quartermas-

ter depot, repairing railroads, building POW camps, and working on the Serino

aqueduct. The 345th was also responsible for all street and sewer repair in

Naples, although civilians did the actual work.

Thunder38, did you just post your first post after 5 years? I just found that interesting! Well thanks for the photos. Pictures with things like the Jeep named "Lizzie" are always prized from the point of view of modelers. Those are the kinds of things that you like to add to your models but you want to keep things accurate to what really happened. Thanks for sharing!

Maj Todd O. USMC, Retired
Grandson of LTC John O'Brien

Nice to see your first post. Looks like you joined in 2006. Thanks for sharing those photos and the information you have. Many thanks to Larry for posting info for you.

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Thunder38, did you just post your first post after 5 years? I just found that interesting! Well thanks for the photos. Pictures with things like the Jeep named "Lizzie" are always prized from the point of view of modelers. Those are the kinds of things that you like to add to your models but you want to keep things accurate to what really happened. Thanks for sharing!

Thanks all I do is work and lost the site for sometime. I have a pic of him with a motorcycle somewhere he was in motorpool. I wish could find out more. 345th is short on info

My father was also in the 345th Engineer General Service Regiment in WWII in Africa, Italy & Greece. He has a 16 page (abut 11 pages of text) paper about the regiment's activities. It is titled "Mission: In Support Of ..." subtitle: "A breif history of the 345th Engineer General Service Regiment, covering the first three years of its existence -- from 15th June '42 to 15 June '45" by Lieutenent Colonel Lawrence M. Hoover, Commanding Officer.

If you do not have a copy let me know.

Hello Bentspoke, welcome to the forum. The forum members would greatly appeciate any information on the 345th EGSR you would like to share with us. We do not have a copy of the unit history and would be very interested in obtaining a copy. Can you post a .pdf copy of the history or email a copy to me or Marion so we can post it?

(note: Marion will be out of town at the 36th/540th reunuion today thru sunday)

My father would be very happy to share the 345th Engineer General Service Regiment history by Lt Col Hoover will all who would be interested. I am sure that Lt Col Hoover would be plesed too. Give me a little time to scan my hard copy to a pdf. I am not very experienced with forums. What is the proper procedure to post the pdf file?

When you reply to a post, just below the reply window you`ll see the Attachments area.

click on the "Browse" button, find the file on your computer, click "open", then click on the dark blue "Atttach This File" button. The uploaded file will appear in a new line, then on the right side click on "Add to Post". when done click Add Reply.

When you reply to a post, just below the reply window you`ll see the Attachments area.

click on the "Browse" button, find the file on your computer, click "open", then click on the dark blue "Atttach This File" button. The uploaded file will appear in a new line, then on the right side click on "Add to Post". when done click Add Reply.

Dear SonofaMP,

I got "Upload Skipped (This file was too big to upload)". It is a 3.25Mb pdf file. Any suggestions?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  345th Engineers Genral Service Regiment rollsballs 9 10,950 09-21-2011, 11:15 PM
Last Post: bentspoke