Hitler's Bunker

Link courtesy of Jim Hennessey

Hilter's Bunker

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Memorial Day 2005.. Just sitting here and remembering back 60 years ago, three weeks after the war in Europe ended. Remembering the friends and aquaintances from our company that were not that lucky and are still in Europe. At this time we were nicely living in houses in Austria, hot food three times a day, finally issued new uniforms and our only worry was about going over for the eminent invasion of Japan which was a posibility. Luckily this didnt happen thanks to Harry Truman using his head. The sun is well "over the yardarm" so I'm just sitting here imbibing in my first Jack Daniels and water and remembering what this "holiday" is really about. I realize many people think it is just another day off from work and a cause for celibrating.. Our division left men from Africa, through Tunisia, Sicily, Italy, France, and Germany.. That is what ithis holliday if arealy about, plus those others that died in other wars and conflicts. Sorry I got up on my soapbox.

This holiday was different for me, because I've had a whole year to reflect on all the work I've been doing with all the vets I've met and all of the research I've performed regarding my father and his buddies. So I looked at it from a whole new perspective. Not that I didn't think of these things before because I had, but it really hit home this May 30th.

When we went over to my brother-in-law's summer home here in Alger this afternoon, we had a toast to all our fallen comrades and took the time to remember them.

I am glad that you are here and able to write to all of us, share what's in your heart and imbibe in some of life's little and finer things such as a Jack Daniels. Bless you my friend and never apologize for getting on your soapbox. You ARE amongst friends and I don't think anyone here would ever think that you were preaching or getting carried away. I know that I love to hear from you and I am sure that I speak for many others who visit and participate in our forum.

Your name came up tonight while we were toasting and talking about WWII. My husband told his brother about Berchtesgaden and the fine selection of liquor. Of course I expounded upon the 3rd Inf Div. Bravo!

So have another one and I will toast with you from afar. :pdt34:

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  My visit of the Eperlecques Bunker Pas De calais sixgun 7 5,711 10-09-2014, 05:55 AM
Last Post: verow
  HE GOT HITLER'S HAT: Walt's Daughter 0 2,160 07-16-2012, 08:23 AM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  Hitler's invisible planes? Walt's Daughter 0 2,227 08-14-2009, 04:52 PM
  Color Photographs "Hitler Up Close" arve 0 2,078 06-04-2009, 11:54 AM
Last Post: arve
  How Hitler's 50th birthday party sparked World War II Walt's Daughter 1 3,011 04-20-2009, 10:52 PM
Last Post: civilwargal
  Hitler's Private Train Jim Davis 0 2,302 01-17-2009, 12:11 AM
Last Post: Jim Davis
  Get your shovels out- Digging for Hitler's Gold civilwargal 2 3,403 02-29-2008, 11:47 PM
Last Post: roque_riojas
  HITLER'S JEWISH SOLDIERS afc7883 4 4,772 12-21-2007, 04:36 PM
Last Post: Dogdaddy
  Hitler backs Rashid Ali in his fight against Britain Walt's Daughter 0 2,427 05-12-2007, 09:53 AM
  Giving Hitler Hell Walt's Daughter 6 5,542 09-09-2006, 03:29 PM
Last Post: j3rdinf