Women in Combat

A little background - at least as far as the USMC is concerned. Currently females are excluded from the following MOSes (Military Occupation Specialty): 03XX Infantry, 08XX Artillery, and 18XX Tanks and AMTRACKS. Currently, no females serve in any infantry regiment or below, artillery battalion or below or any tank or AMTRACK unit. As an aside, the USMC only has battalion sized tank, AMTRACK, and Light Armored Vehicle (LAV) units. LAVs are manned by 03XXs so they fall under the infantry female exclusion. There are females at the artillery regiment level (the regimental headquarters battery.)

In Iraq and Afghanistan women have gotten into many firefights and acquitted themselves well. Most of these happen while on convoys. Others have been fired on while serving in FETs - Female Engagement Teams. These were created so females could talk to, or search if necessary, Muslim females. They go out with grunts on patrols, but their role is limited to their particular mission. I know the Army has FETs and I would assume the Army's female exclusion rules are similar to the Marines'.

It seems the above has added fuel to the fire that some stoke to get females in combat roles in the US military. The main stated motive behind this (as far as I have been able to discern) is so females would have equal opportunity to promotion.

I have very definite views on this but before I say what those are, I would like to hear everyone else's opinion.

So . . . .what say you?

size0-army.mil-99270-2011-02-15-060220.jpg

iuyuiyu.jpg

Ya, I know this is a real controversial subject. I have talked with others, including many military men, and have heard both sides of the story. Several felt that women simple can't play the same role, and therefore shouldn't be in direct combat.

Me, well I guess I'm torn. If a woman CAN do the job and she wants to... I do feel they have a role in the service, though at times I don't know if that always includes the front line action.

Waiting to hear from others.

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Can't seem to find my ten foot pole.

Anyone who thinks Women can't fight has never been married! :o

Looks like no one wants to step in it, eh? Well I'll start crafting my response but it will be a couple of days until I can post. I was gone last week to Camp Lejeune and next week I will be TAD to Quantico. Busy busy busy.

Maj Todd O. USMC, Retired
Grandson of LTC John O'Brien

We seem to be experiencing a lack of replies as of late. Hopefully it's just the weather and everyone is busy out of doors.

Marion J Chard

I'm out with the flu. Yes, I had the vaccine back in early October.

My first post to this topic was entirely in jest and I hope nobody took it literally. I've had mixed feelings about allowing women to fight as infantry, artillery and so on, and probably for many of the same reasons as many. Growing up as a child of the WWII generation I was taught about all the things women shouldn't or can't do. Times have changed (duh!)and I've had to modify many of my long held beliefs, as women have proved me wrong. I'm trying hard not to allow this post to become a novel, so I'll get to the point. Speaking as a civilian I do not think it's right to deny women the right to fight anymore if they have completed the required training and have the desire to serve in combat alongside their "Brothers." I will continue to wish they decide not to...especially if they are also Mothers, but I believe women have proved time and again that they are both physically and emotionally capable of performing the same tasks as men and it's wrong to deny them the opportunity to fight if they wish to.

I think that's nicely put.

Marion J Chard

Well as Gulf War era, and DH is still in, here's my stand and I'll leave it at that since everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

I hated, no loathed, seeing less qualified less experienced MEN sent to the zone because they were men. And then was looked down upon because I HADN"T been in the hot zone. Geesh, damned if you do, damned if you don't.

I do agree that the personal ingrained need for some men to protect women, does and will forever get in the way of a combat zone. It cannot be helped. Should that exclude them from the duty? Is the overall risk of the mission too great? Sigh.....

Could we hack it? Hell ya.

Ask my Special Ops DH who crept up on my while I was ironing. He almost had to explain why he had a Rowenta embedded in his brain.

Or the scorpion that crept across my foot in the Loo last week. After he was stunned senseless by my screaching, he was promptly flushed to the sea.

Or the rattlesnake in the front lawn, who I moved with a broom stick to the woods.

:D

We fight hard, long and dirty. Well, the good ones do.