Anti-gay church's right to protest is upheld

Anti-gay church's right to protest at military funerals is upheld

http://www.cnn.com/2011/US/03/02/scotus.westboro.church/index.html?hpt=T2

I too don't understand the supreme court's ruling. Yeah people we do have freedom of speech, but that speech CANNOT infringe upon the rights of others. This is an unfortunate turn-of-events and a disgusting interpretation of our constitution.

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Anti-gay church's right to protest at military funerals is upheld

http://www.cnn.com/2011/US/03/02/scotus.westboro.church/index.html?hpt=T2

I too don't understand the supreme court's ruling. Yeah people we do have freedom of speech, but that speech CANNOT infringe upon the rights of others. This is an unfortunate turn-of-events and a disgusting interpretation of our constitution.

I totally agree. It makes me SO angry that I see flames.

How someone could even begin to think that behaviour like that belongs at a funeral of anyone is beyond my comprehension. It's stressful enough without having these idiots show up, or threaten to show up. Even with the patriot gaurd keeping them far away, mourner's know the "church" is there. It infringes on the mourner's right for peaceful assembly on private property. OC towns could deny them a permit to assemble/display on public property along the route, and traffic obstruction, or public nuicense (blew that spelling), but no one wants to get dragged into court with these people. They always win, and then turn around and use the money to protest MORE.

It really torques me off to see those idiots with their offensive signs. These are not students, they are for the most part middle age and older. Stupidity has no age or social boundaries. I am always offended when they claim to be Christians. I might not agree with the lifestyles of other people but I try to be respectful of all people regardless of my own beliefs. These so-called Baptists should be ashamed of themselves.

It's one man and the church members are his true family members; wife, cousins, kids, grand kids. I find it creepy and disgusting.

I wonder how they would feel if the table was turned? What if a group of protesters showed up with picket signs and taunted the group when one of them died? You wanna bet they'd pitch a b--ch to the press? Let them scream freedom of speech then!

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

This is just one man's opinion, but I think there are times when we have too much freedom of speech in this country and this was one of those times. I have tried to put myself in the shoes of a family member or friend of the deceased soldiers, hearts breaking from grief... being forced to read those signs.. I would not have suffered it well. I'm fairly certain that the Founding Fathers never imagined the manner in which that right to Free Speech would be abused.