WWII, France , December 24,1944

WWII Christmas letter sent from "Somewhere is France" December 24, 1944, from American GI, Clifton to Catherine. Published in, "'til then" letters home from the front.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYs96v93Mow&feature=related

Vee

Vee:

You won't believe this, but I just yesterday I received a letter from a gentleman from the 100th Inf Div. We hadn't talked in quite a while, and then you post this video. Serendipity.

Did you know that the 100th Inf Div was with VI Corps?

Sam will enjoy this.

Thanks,

M1

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Sam wrote to me and said her name is:

Catherine Cain Pickle

Thanks Sam!!!

Marion J Chard

I'm so glad you received a letter from this gentleman to whom you hadn't talked in quite a while ..

Say thank you to Sam for me to have given the name Catherine, I love this video! I never tire not of the looking at

Marion did not know that the 100th Infantry Division was with VI Corps ! (hehe)

Vee ;)

Vee, I have more information from Sam. Here's the letter he sent yesterday:

My Dear Marion:

I do not know what made me suddenly explore some website a few days ago and to realize it was your doing. At any rate we are now at a new stage of knowledge and as they say......it's a small world.

I know Catherine but did not know Clifton. I had corresponded with her in 2004 before she published her book "till then" and gave her permission to use 100th Inf Div stuff from our "Story of the Century" . And I gave her a bit of support as well. She wrote in a personal note:

" I would welcome your review of my effort to share these letters in a meaningful way with a world who will soon see these once young, now old, men and woman no more.

I want to thank you for your legal advice about my use of certain printed resources and your support over the two years I have been working on this project. Your encouragement has meant much to me. Please let me hear from you."

She also sent me an original (or reproduced copy) of one of her husband's letters. Her name is Catherine Louise Cain and her husband William Clifton Pickle. He was with the 398th Cannon Company. Died in Feb 2000.

She has a BA & MA in History and a Phd in Curriculum, is 86, and had preserved some 300+ letters from her husband and included them in a book published by University of Mississippi. I think it might have been a "vanity press" publication, that is self-published. She lives in Olive Branch, Miss.

And so the story goes on and on. May I ask about the guy who sent you that video ? Or give him my email. I may be able to fill in some gaps.

Fondly,

Sam

A follow-up letter:

Marion:

...By the way, this seems to be spreading. You mentioned that one of the contributors to your forum was a lady from France interested in WWII material. Well guess what ???? I too have a contact in France. She has been a long time friend of the 100th, leading many many tours of our guys to our battle sites. She has attended one or possibly two of our Conventions here in the states and is considered a Historian as well. Her name is Lise Pommois, perhaps Vee has heard of her.

I have her address and email as well if anyone is interested. She lives in a place called Niederbronn, France.

I also have the address and phone and email of Catherine Cain Pickle if further contact is desired.

Take care.

Sam

Marion J Chard

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Anniversary of Operation Dragoon - Aug 15, 1944 Walt's Daughter 3 5,585 08-19-2019, 06:55 AM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  June 6, 1944 Walt's Daughter 2 4,128 06-06-2015, 11:00 AM
Last Post: CaptO
  Diary - Book 788 Oct 30, 1944 - FDR Library Walt's Daughter 0 2,344 04-04-2015, 08:36 AM
  70 Years Later, Widow Given Husband's WWII Dog Tag Found In France sixgun 4 5,276 03-12-2015, 12:19 AM
Last Post: brian m
  Tanks In France; Road Repair Of Tanks; 2nd Armored Division, Normandy sixgun 1 3,038 12-17-2014, 02:30 PM
  The Attack On Pearl Harbor - December 7, 1941 sixgun 7 7,155 12-08-2014, 09:55 AM
  Utah Beach Normandy 1944 sixgun 1 3,273 09-28-2014, 09:38 AM
Last Post: Jean Jacobson
  Invasion of Southern France (Frejus) event June 2014 Walt's Daughter 1 3,166 03-05-2014, 10:09 AM
Last Post: Jean Jacobson
  Plomium France jim armstroong 17 14,082 07-06-2012, 10:54 AM
  1944 Britain GIs having fun before D-Day sixgun 0 1,997 05-31-2011, 03:34 PM
Last Post: sixgun