Al Kincer

Hi:

If any of you have read Al Kincer's latest entry on his page, then you will know how strongly he feels about trying to give his men the credit they deserve. If you haven't read it, I will let you read it now:

Marion...I noticed under "Links" A paragraph re. Anzio 1944  Army Military History that is printed as follows.

Earlier on 25 May, at 0730, troops of the 91st Reconnaissance Squadron, 85th Infantry Division, U.S. II Corps, racing north from Terracina across the Pontine Marshes, met soldiers of the 1st Battalion, 36th Engineer Combat Regiment, from the Anzio beachhead, effecting the long-planned and longer-awaited link-up between Fifth Army forces. With the physical juncture of the II and VI Corps, the beachhead ceased to exist and the formerly isolated soldiers became the left flank of the Fifth Army. Clark personally greeted the II Corps troops three hours later. What a shame that history is sometimes written so badly. The 91st was sitting ion their butts in Terricina. Of course the 5th Army troops was Co B 48 Engrs. I wish I could right this wrong so my guys could get the credit they deserve. AL

I wrote back to Al and said,

Amen to that my friend.  Oh if we could only go back.  Well, we do have some say Al, I can "sort of" right a wrong.  No I can't change that danged history books, but I do have the Internet as a strong ally.  We can make quite a few people aware of mistakes that were written and tell them what really happened.  So even though I can't FIX things, I can attempt to make some minor repairs.

Trust me, now that I have begun my life long journey into my father's history and the history of the 540th, I realize how little recognition they received.  Seems now that I have accepted the assignment to educate the masses.  But, it is not only the history of the 540th, but the gleaming history of all combat engineers.  I have taken on quite a job, but it is one that I am happy to be a part of.  So with you and the other combat engineers veterans behind me, maybe we can show the world what you guys were (and are) made of.  So I am counting on you and them to tell me everything you possibly can so I can share it with all those interested.  You and I are already off to a good start. 

My best to you.  We make a good team.

So while I can't rewrite the history page for him, I can give it my best shot and write about it here so that other people can see it. Let the truth ring out!

-_-

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"