THE REICH: THE FALL

Last night I stumbled upon yet another TV program about the Nazis on The History(Hitlery) channel. This one was called THE REICH: THE RISE, and was the first of a two part documentary which concludes tonight with Part Two:THE REICH:THE FALL. There was surprisingly some new color footage taken by German citizens as well as some really good personal stories of German citizens and how they either supported or hated Hitler and Co. The brainwashing and peer pressure for kids to join was tremendous. We knew that already but it's still interesting to hear someone actually admit to it. I don't think I could have resisted it as a child myself, so that's one more thing to be grateful about being born in the USA.

Hope everyone is enjoying this Christmas season. Yesterday I had to have a blood sample drawn for some lab work. After it was finished the nurse wished me a Merry Christmas! I reciprocated and then thanked her for saying Merry Christmas rather than Happy Holidays. I sometimes forget that myself and lapse into the PC greeting so it was a good reminder :blush:

I saw The Rise too. It was very good. Afterward they had Hitler's family. It was about the relatives that Hitler had (Siblings and others) that he worked to minimize if not hide during his reign. Very interesting. It was pretty late, however, and I couldn't watch the whole thing. I was in Camp Lejeune on a trip yesterday and drove up to Suffolk, VA today. Tomorrow it's back to Lejeune after some meetings, and Friday I fly back to Albany. Busy, busy, busy.

Maj Todd O. USMC, Retired
Grandson of LTC John O'Brien

About the only thing I can say is that I was part of the fall of the third Reich. The 34th.----

Lee and I watched it last night too. It was excellent. Most of the footage, neither one of us had seen before, and that's saying a lot for the two of us. Looking forward to part two.

It was interesting to see so much HOME footage in Germany. And as they mentioned, the Reich didn't allow it and would confiscate the cameras/film, of those caught. It was obvious they didn't want the world to know what was going on behind the front lines. They certainly didn't want the world to see the extent and success of the Allied bombing of Cologne.

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

About the only thing I can say is that I was part of the fall of the third Reich. The 34th.----

Heh heh! Good stuff!!

post-214-1235275488.jpg

Maj Todd O. USMC, Retired
Grandson of LTC John O'Brien

Thank you Sir, One step back,Hand salute ! Two,Parade Rest,at ease. Rocky of the 34th RED BULLS..

I am still surprised at the number of concentration/work/death camps the narrator mentioned as being in Germany...I think I heard the number 20,000 camps! That number times thousands of inmates is hard to get my mind around, but it's true. BTW....that reminds me of a GREAT post war German film titled "As Far as my feet will carry me." It's really a terrific movie that was based on a true story about a German POW who escaped from a Soviet work camp in Siberia. I bet M1 and Lee have seen it !

Hmmm, I will have to dig deep on that one. Let me ask Lee today. He's not up yet. ha-ha!

Yes, the number of cc's is staggering. We always think about the major ones, but truly forget how many there were. Depressing isn't it, even now?

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

For anyone who is interested, this fine two part series will be available for purchase on April 15th. I received a $25.00 gift certificate yesterday and used it to pre-order mine on Amazon.com. Hope you all had a peaceful and joyous Christmas this year!

Thanks to the US Armed Forces, "The Reich" fell a bit faster ..... and deeper!

So my hat's off to all American and Allied soldiers playing their part in the downfall of that monster and his gangsters.

Erwin