Lest we forget

It's just a short photoalbum but some schoolchildren in this neighbourhood learn how life was for an American soldier in World War 2.

http://www.limburger.nl/apps/pbcs.dll/sect...&theme=1455

These pictures are on the website of our newspaper. I hope they will go on with events like this so the next generation will know what happened, what those men have been through and learn that a lot of men and women paid the ultimate price for freedom.

Frank

BRAVO!

I am so glad to see this continue. Man, we sure need this in the states. Unfortunately now, many don't even know there was a WWII. Can you believe that? Just blows my mind.

I wrote to our local high school about a year or so ago, and told them about the project I was working on (my website, my documentary etc.), and you know what? The principal never even acknowledged my letter. I thought it would be interesting to talk to the kids, show them what I was doing, and make sure they knew how important it was to remember WWII.

Now that is sad.

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

That's soooooo sad. I can't believe it. How can things like this happen in the States????

I just wrote this email to the family of Paul Carter. This happened about 2 weeks ago:

A few weeks ago I visited the grave of Paul on September 17th because it was exactly 66 years ago since he lost his life. I would like to make a picture of it but I forgot it because of this.

I placed the flowers in front of the cross and suddenly someone was standing behind me and asked me if I am the person who adopted the grave. He was an American tourist, I think he was between 55-60 years old. We had a conversation about Paul and the adoption program and he made a picture of me standing next to the grave and then I took a picture of him standing next to Paul's grave. Both pictures were made with his camera. We were talking about remembering the sacrifices the men like Paul made and suddenly he gave me a hug and a kiss. I didn't know what to say at that moment. He went on and I decided to go home thinking about what happened and how thankful this man was. Back home I realised I completely forgot to take a picture but it was quite an experience to see how American people remember the troopers of different wars.

I hope the schools will go back in time and teach children some history lessons. Not only about WW2 but also about other historical markers which changed the history of the country or the world.

Frank

Frank, thanks for all you and others like you (have to mention Vee here!) do to keep alive the memory of these men. Perhaps it is because our land was not taken over by a foreign power that makes it easier for Americans to forget. My kids sure as hell will grow up knowing about it and so will my boy's Cub Scout Den.

Maj Todd O. USMC, Retired
Grandson of LTC John O'Brien

Frank, thanks for all you and others like you (have to mention Vee here!) do to keep alive the memory of these men. Perhaps it is because our land was not taken over by a foreign power that makes it easier for Americans to forget. My kids sure as hell will grow up knowing about it and so will my boy's Cub Scout Den.

I know your kids will know what happened Todd. Good to see you mentioned Vee too, she also deserves to be recognized.

Frank

Frank, that is a very touching story. Glad you shared it with us. Bless the man who hugged ya!

Well I suppose all this is in our personal hands and we should do all do what we can to make sure THEY don't forget. It is the personal responsibility of every member of this forum, to do what they can to spread the word and keep these memories alive. Don't hand this off to someone else; be proactive. You can make a difference in the world. I know!

:armata_PDT_01:

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NEVER FORGET Mike 2 2,957 06-19-2009, 01:58 PM
Last Post: roque_riojas
  LEST WE FORGET chucktoo1926 2 3,013 12-15-2006, 06:20 PM
Last Post: roque_riojas
  Battle of the Bulge - Never forget Walt's Daughter 0 133,578 12-19-2004, 11:56 PM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter