Told to take down article

Received this letter tonight. This was in response to an article we had posted (with full credits given). I have pulled the article. Sad in this day and age that you can't post good news, even when you post the article and give credit to the author and site. :wildwestdude:

Your site or a user of your site has posted copyrighted articles belonging to Military Times Media Group. Some examples of such unauthorized use can be found at the following urls:

http://www.6thcorpscombatengineers.com/eng...8&st=0&

Military Times Media Group has the exclusive rights to these articles. Please remove all such articles from your website immediately and cease and desist from posting entire articles. Any continued posting or use will be considered willful copyright infringement.

While we object to your lifting of entire articles, you are free to hypertext link to articles on our Web sites so long as you display no more than a headline and/or first paragraph. Our terms of service also prohibit framing and inline linking, in which our content is lifted from our sites and displayed on your site. For more information, see our terms of service at www.militarytimes.com/terms.

For more information about requesting permission to reproduce and/or distribute our content, please contact Mike Randazzo at (703) 750-7314 or e-mail reprints@atpco.com.

Please respond to this e-mail within 24 hours confirming that each and every posting of Navy Times material has been taken down and that you will not engage in any further unauthorized copying of Navy Times materials.

Sincerely,

Tobias Naegele

Editor in Chief

Army Times Publishing Co.

Army Times, Navy Times, Air Force Times, Marine Corps Times, Defense News, Federal Times, Armed Forces Journal, Training & Simulation Journal and C4ISR Journal

6883 Commercial Drive, Springfield, VA 22159 * Tel. 703-750-8620

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Oh, I should add, this was an article which was shared with me by members of the military, who were proud of the accomplishments of one of their own.

Marion J Chard

In their defense, I guess we could have LINKED to their article. But the whole thing is still SILLY as far as I'm concerned, for as I stated above, as long as you give credit where credit is due...

But I shall abide by their regulations, for I'm not out to be a rebel or be defiant.

Case closed, but this post shall remain on our site.

Marion J Chard

Jim H wanted me to add something for him. Here's for you buddy!

Marion

Your love and respect for Veterans

history is admirable.May God and Country

Bless You.American Vets love your web-site

Love Ya- Keep Up The Great Work

JIm Hennessey-87th-Inf.Div.

Marion J Chard

Received a nice letter back after I replied to their email and told them I had taken down said article. Thank you Scott. I do appreciate your reply. He provides an example of something from our site, if he were to use it on their site. It is all in the use/reference and how it would be displayed.

Marion

Marion,

Your email traffic has been forwarded to my attention. I want to personally thank you for reading our content and attempting to "do the right thing" by acknowledging good work done by hard working writers. Legal text comes off unintentionally harsh, but Denise's intentions were to protect our company assets and she was working on my behalf. From reader your response, I am confident that you meant no harm to our organization.

I encourage web sites and forums to provide their readership a sentence or two from our stories and then provide a link back to our original content located on our web sites. I'm sure that you can understand that our online success depends on people visiting our web site (i.e. page views).

I can provide an example using material on your web site:

Future "sister" site www.ww2engineers.com

I am in the PLANNING stages for a "sister" site to VI Corps Combat Engineers. It would have the same exact flavor of the main site because I would use the templates (colors, fonts, etc.), but its focus would be for ALL WWII engineers.

Read the rest of the story here: http://www.6thcorpscombatengineers.com/eng...?showtopic=3078

If you have any questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to email or call me personally.

Thank you.

M. Scott Mahaskey

Managing Editor/Interactive & Visual

Army Times Publishing Co. (A Gannett Company)

6883 Commercial Dr., Springfield, VA 22159 USA

Office: (703) 750-7438

Mobile: (202) 438-7408

www.militarytimes.com

www.mahaskey.com

Marion J Chard

Dear M. Scott:

I DO appreciate your reply, as you can imagine how I felt upon reading initial email from your office. "Cease and desist", can be pretty harsh words...

I repeat, I am sorry for any incursions which may have resulted, but our/my intentions were only to give praise (and credit) where credit was due. I merely posted contents of an email sent from a member of today's military, who happens to be a dear lady friend and a navy "lifer", who was proud of said woman's accomplishments.

I happen to be the proud daughter of WWII combat engineer, and part of my job is to educate the world about "my boys" and give them their long-overdue recognition. I also strive to share news and events about those currently serving, and am very proud of our military, past and present.

Thank you for sending a personal reply.

Regards,

Marion

Marion J Chard

Thank you for your well-intentioned efforts to promote veterans and those actively serving. In fact, I would be honored if you would continue to post snippets of Military Times content on your web site as you see fit. Again, our only request is that such postings be limited to a sentence or two (headline usually works best), followed by a link back to the original content located on our web site. Our content - your web site - it seems like a natural fit.

Best wishes, and please don't hesitate to contact me again in the future.

M. Scott Mahaskey

Managing Editor/Interactive & Visual

Army Times Publishing Co. (A Gannett Company)

6883 Commercial Dr., Springfield, VA 22159 USA

Office: (703) 750-7438

Mobile: (202) 438-7408

www.militarytimes.com

www.mahaskey.com

Thanks! :armata_PDT_01:

Marion J Chard

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post