old monument to 6th engineers in vierville

thanks marion and verow for replying.

the NEW monument is nice and appears more formal in its appearence, but the issue i'm trying to raise is the OLD monument is still standing but badly vandalised and hidden from the public's view and yes, i may have claimed the wrong photo was from 1944 but from what i hear it was put up in 1944 or 1945 and it's been moved to a bad place and allowed to fall into ruin.

if that situation is fine with you i can understand, after all there is a new monument and it appears fitting and well placed, but the old monument was supposedly put up by the very people who were on the ground at the time and i feel personally that that is important to remember.

after all, our fathers and grandfathers put up a monument to remind us forever of their fallen comrades and it has been misplaced and has fallen into ruin, and before it becomes part of someone's garden wall we should decide if the replacement is good enough or should we voice our opinion and lend our support to restore the original to its original condition and advocate for better placement or more communication as to where it is now.

by the way, i have tagged myself as "dave in england" but i am an american citizen who now lives in england and even though i am both an american citizen and a british citizen i feel very much american and my viewpoint is always influenced by this.

if you want to see where the old monument is then go to google maps and put "rue du 116eme regiment usa, vierville" in the search bar. when it comes up switch over to satalite view and look at the left end of the road, there you will see at the dead-end of the road a small structure. this is the monument that i photographed last week and posted that photo on my first posting. -i'd put it in as a link or image but i don't know how-

thanks for listening and replying-- dave

Messages In This Thread
old monument to 6th engineers in vierville - by dave in england - 08-12-2010, 06:15 PM
old monument to 6th engineers in vierville - by dave in england - 08-13-2010, 04:29 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Monument pays tribute to role of engineer battalion in WWII Rhine crossing CaptO 1 3,094 04-25-2017, 10:36 AM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  special service engineers & rail engineers Ron Nash 17 587,040 11-15-2012, 10:43 AM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  monument of the 6th engineer special brigade Herman 4 9,751 06-12-2009, 12:42 PM
Last Post: verow