Your WWII collections

I just spoke with Michael Brodhead from the Army Of Engineer's Office of History, and this is what he shared with me regarding our conversation of donated works of history.

...We have a Deed of Gift form, to be signed by donors and us. The wording

gives the impression that the donors are signing their lives away. But we

freely allow others to use the material, asking only that the users give us

credit. Also, we do not charge for anything. So I hope we are not part of

the problem--which is a serious one...

I also want everyone to know, this is where I plan on bequeathing my entire collection, for I know it will be shared with others, and will benefit future generations. All our work is for naught, if it can't remain public domain. :armata_PDT_23:

Now, let me share with you something I encountered while gathering data for my documentary. This will explain Michael's reference to, "...we do not charge for anything..."

Several weeks ago I found some wonderful footage, which I wished to include in part two of the production. As I always. I tried to find who had submitted said footage to make sure I could use it within the documentary. Well I did track it down (saw it originally on YOUTUBE), and told them my intentions, and stated I was producing this on my own. I did hear from them, but dig this; They said I could use it within the production for $350.00. First off, I cannot afford that kind of money, and secondly, I discovered the footage was filmed by the Army Signal Corps during one of the invasions in 1943. That makes it public domain! And I learned it can be gleaned from the archives...

I don't mind helping out with cost, say paying for a DVD, or paying postage, but $350.00 for a copy of a couple minute film? I am really annoyed, outraged and furious. :machinegun:

I've had experience dealing with film studios, etc., and I am happy to pay a fee to use copyrighted materials, i.e. fees I paid for permission to use the music White Christmas, but that's a whole different bag of nuts! :squirrel 2:

"Caveat emptor"

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Messages In This Thread
Your WWII collections - by Walt's Daughter - 08-05-2010, 10:56 AM
Your WWII collections - by Walt's Daughter - 08-05-2010, 01:24 PM
Your WWII collections - by colinhotham - 08-06-2010, 12:34 PM
Your WWII collections - by Walt's Daughter - 08-06-2010, 01:37 PM
Your WWII collections - by Dogdaddy - 08-06-2010, 06:44 PM
Your WWII collections - by Walt's Daughter - 08-06-2010, 08:05 PM
Your WWII collections - by armored infantry - 12-22-2010, 12:39 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  WWII Museum Center for Collections & Archives Walt's Daughter 2 5,628 02-02-2018, 10:23 PM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter