RIP Vernon Joseph Baker Dec. 17,1919-July 13, 2010

I was sad to learn that First Lt. Vernon Joseph Baker, a WWII Medal of Honor recipient died July 13th at age 90. Lt. Johnson won the Medal of Honor for his heroic actions on April 5-6, 1945 near Viareggio, Italy, when he and his platoon killed 26 enemy soldiers and destroyed six machinegun nests, two observer posts and four dugouts. Other medals he earned were: Bronze Star, Purple Heart and (from Italy) The Croce Al Valor Militaire.

It was ironic that it was only last week that I watched a documentary about the heroic actions of Black soldiers in WWII, when the US Military was still segregated. One of the stories was about Vernon Baker, and how he was the only Black WWII soldier still living when the belated MOH's were awarded to him as well as the others who had to receive them posthumously from (then )President Clinton in the 1990's.

Rest In Peace Lt. Vernon J. Baker..

:( Bless him

Thank you for taking the time to recognize him and express a few words about his loss to the world.

RIP!

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

RIP Lt. Vernon J. Baker..

http://www.anakstore.com/2010/07/vernon-joseph-baker/

Vee

Thanks Vee, for posting that link. I just used a fraction of the info about him on Wikepedia. For anyone who is interested in seeing his actions reenacted the DVD is called "A Fighting Force..African Americans in the Military," available from The History Channel Store. I got my copy on ebay for around $8.00 and shipping was free. This documentary is both heartbreaking and inspiring and has made a lasting impression on me. It tells the story of all the African American GI's who received the MOH posthumously as well as the story of Lt. Vernon Baker.