Info needed PFC George KASHULA

Dear forum members and readers:

Just received this letter from a woman in France. She seeks our help finding the members of this soldier's family, or any photos, etc, you can muster. If anyone has any info at all, please post it here or contact me as soon as you can. With appreciation, M1

Dear Madam,

I'm writing from Normandy, France and I'm searching for information about PFC George KASHULA from Pennsylvania.

I explain why I'm searching for. I belong to a french association named "Les Fleurs de la Mémoire". Since last year, George Kashula's grave was assigned to me and I visit his grave to put flowers. Since, I decided searching information to know more about him, perhaps find a picture of him to put a face on a name.

George Kashula belonged to the 453rd Truck Company, 5th engineer special brigade. His army serial number was 13128251. He was killed on june 6th 1944, Omaha Beach (dead of wounds) and is buried at american cemetery Colleville-sur-Mer. His town was Wilkes-Barre (PA) and was enlisted at Luzerne (Luzerne County).

I would be most grateful if you have other information or a picture.

Respectfully

Catherine MEUNIER

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

I found this:

http://www.findagrave.com/forums/ubbthread...;Number=1386698

I wonder if that was Catherine who posted as Alaska? Couldn't just be coincidence. There seems to be a lot of info about George there.

U.S. World War II Army Enlistment Records, 1938-1946

Name: George Kashula

Birth Year: 1922

Race: White, citizen (White)

Nativity State or Country: Pennsylvania

State of Residence: Pennsylvania

County or City: Luzerne

Enlistment Date: 23 Nov 1942

Enlistment State: Pennsylvania

Enlistment City: Wilkes Barre

Branch: Branch Immaterial - Warrant Officers, USA

Branch Code: Branch Immaterial - Warrant Officers, USA

Grade: Private

Grade Code: Private

Term of Enlistment: Enlistment for the duration of the War or other emergency, plus six months, subject to the discretion of the President or otherwise according to law

Component: Army of the United States - includes the following: Voluntary enlistments effective December 8, 1941 and thereafter; One year enlistments of National Guardsman whose State enlistment expires while in the Federal Service; Officers appointed in the Army of

Source: Civil Life

Education: Grammar school

Civil Occupation: Semiskilled machine shop and related occupations, n.e.c.

Marital Status: Single, without dependents

Height: 67

Weight: 130

I believe this is George listed on the 1930 census with his family. His parents immigrated from Lithuania to the U.S. His father in 1907 and his mother in 1898.

1930 United States Federal Census

Name: George Kashula

Home in 1930: Hanover, Luzerne, Pennsylvania

View Map

Estimated birth year: abt 1922

Relation to Head of House: Son

Father's Name: Michael

Mother's Name: Fefla

Race: White

Parents' birthplace: Lithuania

Household Members: Name Age

Michael Kashula 44

Fefla Kashula 39

Michael Kashula 19

William Kashula 17

Elizabeth Kashula 15

Charles Kashula 14

Anna Kashula 12

George Kashula 8

Maj Todd O. USMC, Retired
Grandson of LTC John O'Brien

Thanks Todd, that info is about all i got on Mr. Kashula at this time.

The 453rd was an Amphibious Truck Co. ( D.U.K.W. ) assigned to the 5thESB and operated on the far eastern beaches of Omaha.

Taken from a DUKW website:

http://458thseatigers.homestead.com/DUKW.html

Nineteen companies were allocated to the invasion: 12 assigned to Omaha Beach, and 7 to Utah Beach. All were loaded with ammunition and other cargo, which would be crucial during the early stages of the invasion. The DUKWs embarked on LSTs in Weymouth, England on 5 June 1944, and moved across the channel for the invasion. LSTs off-loaded DUKWs 14 miles offshore shortly before the attack began. The DUKWs formed two columns and headed for shore.

The 453rd, 458th and 459th Transportation Corps Amphibious Truck Companies were assigned to the initial assault. Their mission was to deliver their cargo, then shuttle between the beach and the ships, offloading supplies and establishing supply and ammunition dumps. From June 6-7, 1944, the three companies lost 41 DUKWs while delivering supplies from ships to supply dumps established just behind the front lines. The ability to move vital supplies directly to the front lines, and the courage of the crews under enemy fire made the DUKW a vital, integral part of the Normandy Invasion.

Thanks guys!!! You rock!
Marion J Chard

Catherine, if you are reading this, please be patient for more information. To find family members, and other info, it may take days, weeks, or months. Hopefully someone will be searching for this man, and will find our post and respond to all your questions.

Catherine, si vous lisez ceci, s'il vous plaît être patient pour plus d'informations. Pour trouver des membres de la famille, et les autres informations, il peut prendre des jours, les semaines, ou les mois. Avec espoir quelqu'un cherchera cet homme, et trouvera notre poste et répond à toutes vos questions.

Kindly,

Marion

Marion J Chard

Still looking for more clues. Received this from Catherine, this evening:

Hello Marion,

Do you remember me ? I'm Catherine, from Normandy, France and I emailed you last year because I was searching for George Kashula, 453rd quatermaster truck, KIA on june 6th 1944 Omaha beach. I'm still searching informations about him. I"m not able to find something and I would like to know if you have informations since last year.

You know, my son Corentin (11) takes care of his grave and he would like to know more about him and to have a picture of him. My family takes care of three soldiers' graves. We know now two of them and have contact with the two families, except George. These soldiers are very important for us.

I don't know where I can search to find something. It's very difficult.

Is there still living family ? I know had several sisters and brother. Perhaps he has nephews or nieces, I don't know.

Hoping receive news from you.

Respectfully - Catherine MEUNIER

post-2-0-71094400-1319338626_thumb.jpg

post-2-0-78330100-1319338642_thumb.jpg

Attached Files
.jpg   Looking for info on George K.jpg (Size: 388.3 KB / Downloads: 0)
.jpg   Looking for info on George K - 2.jpg (Size: 469.99 KB / Downloads: 0)
Marion J Chard

Found some new information on the family that was not available last year and may have located descendants of George`s oldest brother Joseph & 2nd oldst brother Michael. There was nothing found on his younger sisters, Annie & Elizabeth/Isabel or brother Charles, brother William died 29 May 1980.

I found an Obituary for Joseph`s wife Nellie:

Nellie B. Kashula, 97, formerly of Slocum Township, and a longtime resident of Nanticoke, died Saturday morning at Birchwood Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, Nanticoke, where she had been a resident for the past five years.

Born on July 4, 1909, in Danville, she was a daughter of the late Anthony and Catherine Niemiec. She resided in Nanticoke most of her life and was a member of Holy Trinity Church.

Early in life, she worked at General Cigar Co., Nanticoke, and later in the local garment industry for several years. Her main interests in life were her home and family.

She will be remembered for being an excellent seamstress and had a great talent for sewing, crocheting, quilting and crewel work. She also loved baking.

She was preceded in death by her husband, Joseph Kashula, in 1965; granddaughter, Donna Kashula; great-granddaughter, Lynnette Rosencrans. She was the last member of her immediate family, being preceded in death by 11 brothers and sisters.

Surviving are children, Joseph Kashula Jr. and his wife, Louise, Huntington Township; Marlene Dickshinski, Ooltewah, Tenn.; William Kashula and his wife, Elizabeth, Mountain Top; James Kashula and his wife, Sharon, with whom she last resided in Slocum Township; seven grandchildren; three great-grandchildren; numerous nieces and nephews.

Funeral services will begin Tuesday at 9:30 from Davis-Dinelli Funeral Home, 170 E. Broad St., Nanticoke, with a Mass of Christian Burial at 10 in Holy Trinity Church, South Hanover Street, Nanticoke, with the Rev. James Nash, her pastor, as celebrant. Interment will follow in St. Casimir’s Cemetery, Muhlenburg. Friends may call Tuesday, 8:30 to time of service, at the funeral home.

------------------

An obit for William J. Bendowski, mentions a daughter, Becky Kashula and husband, Joseph, Hanover Township; & grandchild Joseph F. Kashula III;

------------------

An obit for Robert Navin; mentions sister Mrs. Michael (Dorothy) Kashula of Wilkes-Barre Twp

------------------

Family of George`s oldest brother:

Joseph Kashula, b. 1 Nov 1908, d. 15 Nov 1965

Wife: Nellie B Niemic b. 4 July 1908, d. 9 Sept 2006

Chidren:

1 Joseph Kashula, Wife: Louise __?

Child: Joseph Kashula Jr. married Becky Bendowski

Child: Joseph Kashula III.

2 Marlene,

3 William Kashula, wife: Elizabeth

4 James Kashula, wife: Sharon

Family of George`s 2nd oldest brother

Mike Kashula, b. 22 Mar 1911, d. 14 Aug 1991

Child: Michael N Kashula Jr., wife: Dorothy N Navin

Last known addresses:

Joseph F Kashula

1608 State Route 239 Stillwater, PA 17878-9225

(570) 864-3344

Associated: Louise E Kashuia

Joseph F Kashula Jr

26 Allenberry Dr Hanover Township, PA 18706-1474

Associated: Becky J Kashula

Becky J Kashula

26 Allenberry Dr Hanover Township, PA 18706-1474

Associated: Joseph F Kashula

James P Kashula Sr

41 Camp David Rd Wapwallopen, PA 18660-8815

Associated: Sharon E Kashula

Sharon E Kashula

41 Camp David Rd Wapwallopen, PA 18660-8815

Associated: James P Kashula

Michael N Kashula Jr

699 Metcalf St Wilkes Barre, PA 18702-7506

Associated: Dorothy N Kashula, Dorothy N Navin

Dorothy N Kashula

699 Metcalf St Wilkes Barre Township, PA 18702-7506

Associated: Michael N Kashula, Dorothy N Navin

William A Kashula

596 S Main Rd Mountain Top, PA 18707-2255

(570) 678-7566

Associated: Elizabeth A Kashula

Elizabeth A Kashula

596 S Main Rd Mountain Top, PA 18707-2255

(570) 678-7566

Associated: William A Kashula

----

maybe related:

Stephanie Kashula

332 Parkview Cir

Wilkes Barre, PA 18702

Oh my God! I can't believe this. Just saw your post and sent a note off to Catherine. I can't imagine what she will say when she sees this. Thank you, thank you for all your hard work!!!

:huggybears:

Marion J Chard

Here's the response. Can you tell how happy she is? :P :P B) B)

YAOOOOOOOOH, Marion, I'm so happy. Thanks a lot for your help. I must tell you I would let down to search for George. But now, I have hope.

I must translate the informations you emailed me, because it's very important I understand very well.

I'll email you later to explain you several things about George's family, but it will be difficult to explain it in english.

Keep the touch

Marion J Chard

Sorry I didn't see this post earlier, the 453rd was assigned to the 348th Beach Group.

Tom

post-1317-0-18293800-1321319692_thumb.jpg

Attached Files
.jpg   X0067.jpg (Size: 380.54 KB / Downloads: 0)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  info about 351st engineers general service haitian93 2 4,736 05-15-2019, 12:28 PM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  Info 133rd combat engineers battalion Benrist 10 12,055 06-18-2018, 07:34 PM
Last Post: mollymgen
  Info on Tech 4 Edward L Kelly New Guinea WWII KAYOK 3 4,609 02-11-2018, 08:29 PM
  Restoring a '44 gmc from 276th engineers/remagen bridge. Any info pics please Caretaker 1 3,113 09-07-2017, 12:03 PM
  Info - Charles U Culmer Enrico 18 16,463 09-27-2016, 06:42 PM
  Info on 253rd Engr Combat BN tiamariawithkaz 3 6,665 04-15-2015, 01:01 PM
  Looking for 97th Inf Div info Walt's Daughter 6 8,108 11-01-2014, 09:25 AM
  Searching for info on Jerry Warren from Grand Rapids, Michigan James Burton 9 8,065 10-30-2014, 11:17 AM
  I have info and a picture for Howard Wolham James Burton 1 2,705 10-29-2014, 11:25 PM
  JPaul looking for info on parents during WWII Walt's Daughter 30 26,105 06-08-2014, 10:54 AM
Last Post: JPaul