Unknown for me but interesting for you

Last weekend I attended at the Memorial Day ceremonies in Henri-Chapelle (Saturday) and Margraten (Sunday). The weather conditions on Saturday were fine but on unday a lot of people got soaked and the fly-over was cancelled. I was walking over the cemeteries and for some reason I am always looking to the units.

I spotted (for me) some strange units but maybe you'll know more about them or you'll be interested in one of them. Below you can see the pictures.

Truman Kimbro CMOH.

dsc4294kleiner.jpg

A friend of mine adopted this grave but wasn't able to find a thing about him. Can someone please help us with it? I have never heard about this unit.

dsc4334kleiner.jpg

Now some pictures are coming and I can't say anything about them ... watch some dates on the crosses. Some men died in August 1945.

dsc4304kleiner.jpg

dsc4420kleiner.jpg

dsc4425kleiner.jpg

dsc4432kleiner.jpg

That's all. I hope some of you will see or even find ome interesting stuff or so. I am not a technician myself but I would like to share this with you.

Regards,

Frank

Good morning Frank:

You'd be amazed at the number and types of engineers units in WWII. I don't know if you ever saw this list, but it's pretty cool.

Types of WWII Engineer Units

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

:blink::o Now I have something to read again ;). Thanks M1.

What a really cool list M1, I have never come across it before and it has to go in my favs'. So much info too!

Colin.

Glad both of you are enjoying the list. I compiled it many moons ago, and added to it along the way.

This list, as well as other interesting tidbits, can be found on the main site.

One day I WILL have more...I have so much material waiting to be scanned and uploaded. I believe it will take months and or years to accomplish it all.

Well, must run, back to work on the documentary. Had to re-do a couple of chapters two narratives. Listening for last minute imperfections, and well, found a few yesterday. One more to go... Tedious, but will be worth the effort.

Hugs to both,

M1

Marion J Chard

Hi Frank, great pics, thank you.

As for 1stLT John Bigler his unit the 307th AEB was the organic engineer Bn of the 82nd Airborne Div. According to the 82nd`s website the division crossed the Rhine on April 6 1945 so Lt Bigler died during the timeframe of the crossing.

The 307th has their own website here: http://www.307th.org/index.ph?option=com_content&view=frontpage&Itemid=53

The last picture is realy interesting, how did a Merchant Marine Seaman end up buried in Belgium? another one to put on the list to lookup.

Thanks a lot for the information.

As for the Merchant Marine man ... he is buried in Holland ;). Nevertheless it's strange.

From the website: Tillman County Veterans War Memorial

There is a picture of Mr Fry and the following information at this webpage:

http://www.mybragpage.com/wwii/fry_bobby_w

S 1/c Bobby W. Fry, son of Mr. and Mrs. W. D. Fry, graduated from Hollister High School. Entered Merchant Marines in Dec., 1944, trained in St. Petersburg, Fla., Charleston, S.C.; served in the Marshalls, Panama, Cuba, Scotland, Belgium; was killed in action Aug., 1945 in Belgium.

The following information is from the book, "History of Tillman County (OK), Volume II", a 1978 publication of the Tillman county Historical Society and is used with their consent. It is based on an article on page 269 of publication which included a list of boys killed while in the service of our country, from Hollister, OK.

The article listed info above and also stated that Mr. Fry was a 1943 graduate of Hollister High School. He died August 12, 1945. He was KIA and buried in Margraten National Cemetery, Margranten, Holland.

------------------

This info from the Merchant Marine website: http://www.usmm.org/

During World War II, some mariners were buried in National Cemeteries overseas or were listed among those missing on Memorials in National Cemeteries. The cemeteries are maintained by the American Battle Monuments Commission or by the Veterans Administration.

Of the 595 mariners listed, the remains of 476 are in the Cemeteries; 119 are listed as "Missing" on a Memorial. The list of names was obtained from the American Battle Monuments Commission.

Mariners Buried or Commemorated in European Theater National Cemeteries

Great addition Larry. Move to the head of the class!

:armata_PDT_37:

Marion J Chard

nono, i like it here in the back corner

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Interesting facts on Army Engineers Walt's Daughter 0 132,544 06-24-2005, 02:36 PM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter