An uplifting letter from an engineer

Bill and I have been corresponding for years, and I consider him one of my best friends. Even though we've never met in person, we have one of those bonds-across-the-miles relationship, which we both really treasure.

Bill has had quite a few health problems (please keep him in your prayers), so I don't hear from him as often as I used to, but this week he sent a letter, which I replied to, and in turn I received yet another one this morning.

This letter is truly inspiring, thus I wanted to share it with you:

Dear Marion: The good Lord is looking out for you. What a difference two days make! I don't know what the world is coming to. I get so depressed with what is going on in the country. Then, two days ago, I was eating a waffle in a little dive and four young boys were seated in the opposite end. They were probably 14 to 15 years old and having a good time. When they left, the last one eyed me, smiled and gave me a thumbs up. When I went to pay my check, the mgr said those 4 boys that just left had paid it, and the tip! I wear an old military cap (so I don't have to comb my hair) and its pretty obvious looking at me that I am an old vet. Mind you, these were just school boys. Their actions kind of get my head screwed on right after all the bad stuff. Been up since 3am so its back to bed for me. Please stay in touch; your the greatest and a real morale booster.

My best

Bill

:armata_PDT_37:

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

There is some hope, I guess!

Maj Todd O. USMC, Retired
Grandson of LTC John O'Brien

I would not mind shaking the hands of all three of those gentlemen :armata_PDT_37:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Original letter from a 540th reunion - 1948 Walt's Daughter 0 1,865 02-23-2016, 07:34 AM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  Letter sent home from Anzio - Sgt Joe Miller - 36th Eng Walt's Daughter 4 4,581 01-27-2012, 12:17 PM
  A Fathers Day Letter - June 1943 Walt's Daughter 0 2,404 06-29-2009, 07:13 AM
  A letter from Dan Manning Walt's Daughter 0 2,256 03-23-2008, 07:10 PM
  Exciting letter France - 540th Engineer Walt's Daughter 18 14,808 03-02-2008, 12:01 PM
  Letter and more from a 39th'er Walt's Daughter 6 96,419 02-07-2005, 05:03 PM