The "NUTS" cave - Help preserve a piece of history

This was in response to a Belgian official, who wanted to tear down the NUTS cave and put a parking garage in its place! Looks like he took a lot of heat, and this probably won't transpire now. People have their heads up their arses, don't they.

Reg has been on this and is making sure the idiots don't go ahead with their plans.

============

The 101st Divisional HQ , NUTS CAVE , will be open to the public in December !

Don't miss this unique experience to actually be in the same room where McAuliffe and his Generals made crucial decisions , where he slept and where he wrote his famous reply to the German demand to surrender : NUTS .

This place was the "OVAL OFFICE " in the battle for Bastogne and was visited by Patton ,Julian Ewell , Harry Kinnard ,Col Harper , Bob Sink , Ned Moore , Gen. Eisenhower, Omar Bradley...and many more ...

Come and visit this Historical Marker and check out the great displays .

The people there will welcome you and your bunch with arms wide open .

OPENING HOURS !!!

Friday 11 December : Afternoon

Saturday 12 December All Day

Sunday 13 December All Day

Don't miss it !

Reg

===================

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

http://www.nieuwsblad.be/Article/Detail.aspx?articleID=GV52GVRG3

The above link won't be readable by most since it's in another language, but I placed it here to show how outraged people were by this proposal.

Reg Jans sent this to me. I have attempted to translate it using one of my favorite free web translators. It did a pretty good job. Looks like I will have to change a few things, but right now, you will get the drift of the article.

============= Translation

22/10/2009 A veteran salutes for a paspop that general McAuliffe proposes: the closings of the barracks of Bastogne experience they as a big blow.

American veterans angry on minister De Crem General McAuliffe had during WWII headquarters in barracks that now closed must

NVT - American veterans are fierce over the closings plan of minister of Defense De Crem for the Heintz-barracks in Bastogne. From that had general McAuliffe during the Ardennes offensive its headquarters and spoke he against the Germans the famous 'Uses!'. That minister of Defense Pieter De Crem (CD&V) in our country 23 army barracks want to close, is come also American veterans of the Second world War - and especially that of the Ardennes offensive - to ear. The veterans are angry because De Crem in Bastogne the Heintz-barracks want to close. And that is not just a barracks. 'No', says Reg Jans, that now and then American veterans takes around visits in Bastogne and with them invariably the barracks. 'In the cellars of the barracks had the American general Anthony McAuliffe during the Ardennes offensive its headquarters.'

When the Germans McAuliffe in December 1944 in its headquarters came tell that he self better wanted to deliver, spoke the general it since then legendary word Use! out. of. Today almost daily American veterans come visit the battlefield of the Ardennenoffensief and regularly leads Reg Jans them to the former headquarters of McAuliffe, that volunteers as a small museum organized. 'Many have been put on as they that come', says Jans. 'Your state that really in the heart of the Ardennes offensive. In that barracks, McAuliffe has met with Eisenhower and with Patton. That is a historical spot.'

That that now threatened becomes, makes many Americas angrily. They mail on different internet forums indignant reactions. 'It became a shame that the efforts of the American soldiers now forget through the men that they at that time defended', writes a Michael Billingsley. Stan Talks writes: 'My father fought in the Ardennes. When he years later on to Belgium returned, became he with open arms goods received through the men that he there wanted to learn know. The Belgian population is not the efforts of the Americas forget, but the Belgian government evidently well!'

'I feel myself quite badly through this news', says veteran Don Burgett. 'My comrades that died during the Ardennenoffensief, rest in peace because they know that their offering geapprecieerd becomes through the men for who they this did. With one pen feature does a politician that to nought.,. I hope that the Belgians self by the next elections that politicians will remind.'

'This affair lies zéér sensitive at the American veterans', says Filip Willems, an Easterly-Fleming that the memory of the 101ste Luchtlandingsdivisie of the Americas holds vividly. That an important role played during the siege of Bastogne. 'That men their life risked that and gave many that also their life. They peck it not that there at a symbol as the former headquarters of McAuliffe is hit. I understand them sore good.'

Marion J Chard

The latest from Reg. Jump in guys and help preserve an important part of WWII history. Don't let the politicians win!

==========

Dear friends ,

The city of Bastogne asked us to collect as many supportive letters as possible and hand them over on monday !!!!

So to everyone of you : "Please send me your letters of support to preserve the NUTS Cellar !" ASAP ! Veterans : "Your input is also very important here " .

Letters should be sent to : reg.jans@telenet.be

All letters in English , French and Dutch are welcome !!!!

We NEED your support !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!To keep history alive !!!!!!!

Many thanks

Reg

Marion J Chard

Dear ladies and gentlemen:

I am the daughter of a WWII combat engineer, who fought in the Ardennes/Alsace campaign. I sincerely hope any thought of erasing a very important segment of history, will not come to fruition, for preserving the "NUTS" cave will always play an important role in the education of present and future generations.

Every time another piece of WWII history is destroyed, we risk it slipping into obscurity. Another parking structure or shopping mall, can be built anywhere, but the "NUTS" cave should remain as a reminder of a strategic moment in time. Lest we forget...

Regards,

Marion Chard

540th Combat Engineer WWII

http://www.6thcorpscombatengineers.com

http://www.6thcorpsmusic.us

Marion J Chard

I hope this will help too:

I would like to express my feelings about the closing idea of the Heintz Barracks through this letter.

65 Years ago soem strange people came across the ocean to liberate us from the Nazis. They came all the way for us. Many of them gave their lives for people they had never known. One of the thoughest battles was the Battle of the Bulge. It was a heroic fight which was won by the Allied troops. The costs were very high. Many of them lost their lives.

We will always remember what they did for us.

Now, 65 years later, we also have to remember the fallen German troops. There is 1 spot in Belgium which got world fame. That’s Bastogne. The though battle at Bastogne got even more fame because of 1 word. “NUTS”!!!!!!! We have to remember that forever.

We have to teach the next generations what had happened overthere and about the cruelty of war. War is something which may never happen again. The best way to teach the next generations is to preserve the sites where the most important things happened. 1 Of those spots is the Heintz barracks. The word “NUTS” was the best way to decline the surrender option from the Germans. Let’s teach our children there why war may never happen again. So many important spots are already lost so we have to preserve it.

We also have to pay respect to the veterans who are still coming over nowadays. They did so much for us and we can’t say thank you and destroy where they fought. That’s why we have to preserve the barracks.

It’s “NUTS” to destroy them.

Frank Gubbels

Noorbeek, The Netherlands.

Dear Mare,

Thank you so much for your support . I received your letter very well and will forward it to the authorities in Bastogne , who are on our side !

Hereby I promise you to do EVERYTHING within my power to save this Historical Marker and to preserve the legacy of those who paid the highest price for our freedom . Those who remain and those who never returned .

If you have any questions , don’t hesitate to drop me a mail at reg.jans@telenet.be .

I’ll be updating the website on a regular basis so you will be able to read the recent news and updates : http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=1768...0241&ref=ts

Thank you for supporting this cause, I really do appreciate .

Please don’t forget to spread the word because we still NEED more letters to support us .

In friendship

Reg Jans

Bastogne

Belgium

Marion J Chard

If you haven't send a letter pleaase do it immediately!!!!!!!!! They need them right now.

Yes they do. I hope more than a few people from our forum will take two minutes to jot a note off. This is important. Hey all you WWII devotees. Make your voice heard!!!!

I'm posting this on vacation, so there is no excuse!!!!

Marion J Chard

Oh mon dieu, our veteran, James Hennessey, is now even more famous then ever. The letter he wrote to them was part of this featured newscast. Look for his letter/name about 3/4's of the way in this video.

Tres bien James!

04/11/2009 - BASTOGNE CAVE MAC AULIFFE CAMP MILITAIRE

Et toujours concernant toujours l'avenir des casernes et en particulier celle de Bastogne, certains s'inquiètent du sort de la cave McAuliffe située dans le camp militaire. Un lieu historique et hautement symbolique dans lequel le général a prononcé son fameux 'Nuts' et qui pourrait fermer en même temps que le quartier. Stéphanie Lambrecht et Sébastien Grandjean.

http://www.tvlux.be/index.php?option=com_c...iew&id=4237

Marion J Chard

Great news from Reg:

===============

Dear Mare ,

We welcomed the TV crew yesterday morning ....

Also the minister 'promised' to spare the HQ ....

It was a great weekend and I was honored to host Mr Kenneth McAuliffe , Grand Nephew of the General .

Good to see they showed Jim's letter !

We had about 1300-1500 people visiting the Cellar in 2,5 days . We lost count !

So this weekend we proved that people are interested to visit this place and that it has to be preserved as a historical marker .

I'll post a full report later but first I really need some sleep !

My thanks go to everyone who supported our cause but as I will state later we will need to win a few more battles in the future ..

Reg

Marion J Chard

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Save the "Nuts" Cave Walt's Daughter 3 4,492 02-01-2015, 06:50 PM
Last Post: CaptO
  World War 2 In A Cave (little Tour) Frank Gubbels 0 3,680 07-20-2009, 12:27 PM
Last Post: Frank Gubbels