Original WWII K-Rations

These are original WWII issue K-ration packages for Breakfast and "Supper". They are in mint condition and the actual packages inside have never been opened. In all the time I've been collecting WWII items I can only remember seeing one or two of these being auctioned, so I was thrilled that I was able to land these two items recently, although the next photo you see of me will show a man sans an arm and a leg. :withstupid: Hope you find them interesting!

post-150-1244490313_thumb.jpg

Attached Files
.jpg   _BTsEhfw_Wk___KGrHgoH_CMEjlLly1TnBKJwBrO_Mg___12.JPG (Size: 24.08 KB / Downloads: 0)

Yes, they look in mint condition. Great to be able to add these to your collection. Yum! :clappin:

Okay Capt O'Brien, quit drooling. We know these make you hungry! :lol:

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Capt. Obrien doesn't know anything about these. HE HAS

S.O.S. IN THE MORNING STEAK IN THE EVENING !!!!!!!

just kidding Capt. rocky-- :armata_PDT_19:

I ask the guy I bought them from if there was any special instructions for storing, like refrigeration etc. (I know, dumb question, but I have no knowledge of what you do with 65 year old vittles that are now unedible :rolleyes: ) I suppose after all this time you could probably use them as land mines! Beside...from what you old WWII Vets say about them you probably couldn't do anything to hurt them! :mellow:

:woof:

Stricktly from a physics point of view, I would imagine the only thing you would have to worry about is the air expanding or contracting. I don't think you would want those 65 year old vittles to explode or even seep out! My suggestion would be to keep them in room temperature - not hot or cold. But what do I know? I've grown up eating MRE's, right Rocky?!

Maj Todd O. USMC, Retired
Grandson of LTC John O'Brien

I would agree with the Capt; keep them at room temp, and control the humidity. That would be the biggest factor, as with so many artifacts. That's what they do in museums.

See our advice here, even though it's doesn't deal with MRE's per se.

http://www.6thcorpscombatengineers.com/eng...hp?showforum=18

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Stricktly from a physics point of view, I would imagine the only thing you would have to worry about is the air expanding or contracting. I don't think you would want those 65 year old vittles to explode or even seep out! My suggestion would be to keep them in room temperature - not hot or cold. But what do I know? I've grown up eating MRE's, right Rocky?!

Capt. We never saw that kind of K rations. The ones we got

were in boxes like you see kids get Cracker Jacks. We mostly

got C-rations. MRE's what the hell is that???

In 1999 my friends husband bought a couple of cases of MRE's to prepare for Y2K. He was going to be prepared for when society shut down. She made him take those for lunch every day until the two cases were gone. One day he'd have spaghetti, the next beef stew....

Several years back I found an interesting item at a yard sale...I don't have pictures but it's a sealed metal container containing 6.75 lbs. of saltine crackers. it's marked Civil Defence and dated 1961. Definately a left over item from the 'Cold War.' Cost? Three bucks. Once in a great while I find an item like that at a yard sale, but not very often in this small community.

Rocky:-

MRES = "Meals Ready to Eat".

That's the New Army's Answer to Ks and Cs.

My son actually brought back some Cs for me after his

desert maneuvers just a couple of years back

God you must be OLD if all you remember are Ks (YUCK!!!)

Top(Sgtleo) :armata_PDT_23::blink:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Original German Poster "Schutzkommando" afc7883 1 5,184 10-13-2008, 08:07 PM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  JAP SURRENDER FLYER ORIGINAL afc7883 3 5,697 10-10-2006, 01:45 AM
Last Post: Dogdaddy