Al Panebianco and heartwarming news

Received the following email (with associated content), from dear friend Al Panebianco of the 45th Infantry Div. Always love to share this kind of news.

================

Dear Al, Mike & friends:

These emails made it a great and meaningful Memorial Day for me. Sixty four years after WWII and I am still making contacts for my buddies. These two men were seriously wounded on Anzio Beachhead and brought to the CAVES for treatment. This was an exciting day for the three of us.

Al Panebianco

-----------------

Hi,

My dad is Jerome J. Nicolato. He is 89 years old and in a nursing home. He was a squad leader in an anti-tank company in the 2nd Battalion, 157th Regiment, 45th Infantry Division. He made three combat beach landings in Sicily, Silerno and Anzio. He was wounded on 2/17/44 near Anzio and was brought to the “caves” for medical attention with his buddy Richard Wagner and several others. One of the stories Dad told was when he woke up in the “caves”, the person next to him was asking for cigarettes “cigarette comrade”. That person was a captured German soldier.

Dad finally returned to the U.S. 7/10/44.

Would you have advice on how I can attempt to determine if there are any other men still around that possibly fought with my Dad? I understand only 162 out of 713 men survived from the 2nd Battalion’s fight in Anzio.

Thanks,

Jerome L. Nicolato

---------------------

Hi Jerome:

Indeed a pleasure hearing from a family member of, Jerome J. Nicolato, who served with the 2nd Battalion, 157th Regiment, 45th Infantry Division. I know Richard Wagner fairly well from reunions we attended through the years. What a pleasant surprise to receive your email on Memorial Day.

I phoned Dick today to let him know about your email. He definitely remembered your Dad and was excited. With his permission, I am forwarding you his address and phone.

Mr. Richard Wagner, (removed for privacy). He does not have a computer. His phone number is: (removed for privacy). Hope I have been of some help to you and something exciting and enjoyable will develop for the both of you from this email.

Take care and enjoy life.

Albert R. Panebianco

http://www.45thinfantrydivision.com

-----------------

You have certainly exceeded all my expectations. When I visit my Dad this week, I will call Mr. Wagner and have Dad talk to him on the phone. I greatly appreciate all you have done in this matter and getting back to me so soon. I especially thank you so much from the bottom of my heart and on behalf of my family for your service to this great country. We enjoy this day and all our freedoms because of men like you! You are not forgotten.

Thank you so very much,

Jerome

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

dear Al, Jerome and everybody from this topic,

Last week I went in the caves (I know the person that owns them) and now I'm looking for any kind of documentation and witness about the so called "battle of the caves", going around on internet I found this topic. I'm really happy there is somebody that where in the 2nd Battalion, 157th Regiment, 45th Infantry Division and took part on this event! If I arrive to find enough material about that I would like to do a short documentary. I took contact also with the queens royal surreys to find out about the 2/7 Queens Royal regiment and hopefully I may find some witness from civilian italian citizen that where in those caves at that time (Feb. 1944).

To me have direct information from soldiers that where there at that time is really important. Also if you know other people that knows about the battle of the caves will be great for me to be in contact with them.

Please answer this so we'll be soon in contact!

Many Thanks

Pietro Freddi

Received the following email (with associated content), from dear friend Al Panebianco of the 45th Infantry Div. Always love to share this kind of news.

================

Dear Al, Mike & friends:

These emails made it a great and meaningful Memorial Day for me. Sixty four years after WWII and I am still making contacts for my buddies. These two men were seriously wounded on Anzio Beachhead and brought to the CAVES for treatment. This was an exciting day for the three of us.

Al Panebianco

-----------------

Hi,

My dad is Jerome J. Nicolato. He is 89 years old and in a nursing home. He was a squad leader in an anti-tank company in the 2nd Battalion, 157th Regiment, 45th Infantry Division. He made three combat beach landings in Sicily, Silerno and Anzio. He was wounded on 2/17/44 near Anzio and was brought to the “caves” for medical attention with his buddy Richard Wagner and several others. One of the stories Dad told was when he woke up in the “caves”, the person next to him was asking for cigarettes “cigarette comrade”. That person was a captured German soldier.

Dad finally returned to the U.S. 7/10/44.

Would you have advice on how I can attempt to determine if there are any other men still around that possibly fought with my Dad? I understand only 162 out of 713 men survived from the 2nd Battalion’s fight in Anzio.

Thanks,

Jerome L. Nicolato

---------------------

Hi Jerome:

Indeed a pleasure hearing from a family member of, Jerome J. Nicolato, who served with the 2nd Battalion, 157th Regiment, 45th Infantry Division. I know Richard Wagner fairly well from reunions we attended through the years. What a pleasant surprise to receive your email on Memorial Day.

I phoned Dick today to let him know about your email. He definitely remembered your Dad and was excited. With his permission, I am forwarding you his address and phone.

Mr. Richard Wagner, (removed for privacy). He does not have a computer. His phone number is: (removed for privacy). Hope I have been of some help to you and something exciting and enjoyable will develop for the both of you from this email.

Take care and enjoy life.

Albert R. Panebianco

http://www.45thinfantrydivision.com

-----------------

You have certainly exceeded all my expectations. When I visit my Dad this week, I will call Mr. Wagner and have Dad talk to him on the phone. I greatly appreciate all you have done in this matter and getting back to me so soon. I especially thank you so much from the bottom of my heart and on behalf of my family for your service to this great country. We enjoy this day and all our freedoms because of men like you! You are not forgotten.

Thank you so very much,

Jerome

Welcome to our forum. Unfortunately, Al passed away several months ago, but his grandson is still running his site. Thank God! You may want to visit it and talk with him personally.

There are several other vets on the forum, who fought at Anzio and I'm sure they would love to talk with you.

Warmly,

Marion

Marion J Chard

I'm really sorry about that...

thank you for the replay

you mean he had a website? what is the link to get there?

Thanks again

Pietro

one more question, do you know how can I reach Mr. Richard Wagner or Jerome J. Nicolato?

thanks again

Pietro

Oh my God, I just went to Al's site just now and it's GONE! I just visited a few weeks ago and it was still there. His grandson promised he would keep it going. Oh man! This is NOT good! I am trying to get in touch with his grandson this evening. Let me get back with you.
Marion J Chard

Pietro:

I just sent you a private message which included Al's grandson's email address. Keep us informed.

Marion J Chard

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Naval Aviation News Magazines - 1943-1949 Walt's Daughter 0 1,939 10-18-2011, 11:53 AM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  Holocaust in the News Walt's Daughter 0 1,712 03-22-2007, 09:20 AM
  News Reporting WWII Walt's Daughter 2 4,022 10-31-2005, 01:28 PM
Last Post: Custermen
  How news was reported in WWII Walt's Daughter 0 77,103 11-22-2004, 09:39 AM