Engineer History - Fifth Army

Hi all:

Well thanks to my dear buddy, Al Kincer, I now have the complete set of

Engineer History - Mediterranean Theater - Fifth Army

It's a three volume set and he had given me the first book a few months back. Now I have all three and what a fine addition it is to my collection. I am very grateful.

The books are complete with detailed maps, history each unit and many have photos to go along with. A real treasure for me.

THANKS AL. YOU'RE THE BEST!

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

The books are complete with detailed maps, history each unit and many have photos to go along with.

Aww, come-ON. You can do better than that.

Is it a boring history or does it describe some of the exploits of the engineers while under enemy fire?

What kind of maps? How detailed? Color?

Any tables or rosters of officers or such?

:direct: Get with the program, lady.

Tease, tease, tease. So there. That is all you get for now. :lol:

I promise (really, yah!) that I will tell more later. For now you are to be kept haning on... :lol:

I know, I'm rotten! :fireyhair:

Marion J Chard

Okay here's the lowdown...

Yes, the books are filled with various photos of many of the engineer groups at work, building bridges, clearing minefields, constructing culverts, etc. They also include descriptions and maps of operation for the 5th army engineer groups.

The third volume is pretty cool too and is an entire book of appendices. One section has each job number, which unit was employed for that job and the description of the work they did. Pretty awesome. It goes on for page, after page, after page. They are quite a few entries for the 540th too. Here's a sample entry:

Job: #121

Unit deployed: 540th

Description of work: Maintain for 2-way, all traffic (weather), highway from BJ N-0078 from Madragone.

Marion J Chard

WOW! That sounds like a must-have for Engineer historians!!!!

Congrats on that buy!

Yes, it is a real bonus for me. It will help me round out the history for the 540th. ANY info I can get for the site and especially my book will really come in handy. I'm just amazed at all the info that IS available on engineers. I'm tickled pink! :)

Marion J Chard

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  245th Engineer Combat Battalion, U.S. Third Army 1874thhistorian 5 13,191 08-21-2019, 01:01 AM
Last Post: mikel
  History of the 337th Engineer Combat Battalion Jim Davis 69 62,354 08-19-2015, 09:20 AM
Last Post: angatti
  280th Engineer Combat Bn, 16th Corps, 3rd Army militaria7 1 3,586 09-04-2013, 09:38 AM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  1262nd Engineer Combat Battalion history patchman 1 3,942 07-24-2012, 07:41 AM
  History of the 344th Engineer General Service Regiment Walt's Daughter 5 9,470 04-16-2012, 02:35 PM
  History sketch 157th Engineer (C) Bn. Wendy 1 3,716 04-02-2010, 11:10 PM
  John Fallon to appear in Army Engineer Magazine Walt's Daughter 0 2,361 07-23-2009, 09:32 PM
  Mike's Blog at Army Engineer Mag Walt's Daughter 1 2,885 11-02-2006, 11:30 PM