324th Engineer BN WW11

This is great! What a magnificent effort you all are making!

Jean

This is one JOB I never get tired of performing. I literally do not know from one day to the next, what will materialize out of thin air.

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Marion & Jean.... Here is another posting with a small excerpt regarding the 324th engineers... According to my notes with Mr. Christensen from almost 3 years ago, my grandfather was 1st platoon the entire duration of the war (a fact that was checked against a letter written to my gr.aunt-grandfather's sister by another war buddy and it is confirmed) and his platoon was one of the ones mentioned in this article that was cut off. They essentially mowed down a couple hundred Germans and kept right on going building their road and pulling marooned vehicles out of the snow... as if nothing happened I had been trying to post this previously, but for some reason the link wouldnt attach to my post.

The article mentions other units getting distinguished unit badges and other recognition, but this unit is not mentioned for anything. The information for the article comes from Gen. Lauer's camp and was written back in '44-'45. Dont know if this is of any use to you or Jean, but its here for you to look over anyway.

Jean, I have a few things Mr. Christensen sent to me a few years ago including a company roster and a list of command posts for the duration of the war. Do you have copies of these/would you like a set? I have them scanned to my laptop in PDF files. Message me your email and I can send them to you if you need them.

Thanks!

http://www.lonesentry.com/gi_stories_booklets/99thinfantry/

Actually, the roster I have is Co. A only, still welcome to have a copy of it. The command posts would still be relevant bc they would have all been in the same/near to the same places at similar times. Might help? Anyway....

Received this letter from Lauren, yesterday. Posted this elsewhere on the forum too.

Hi Marion....

Am thinking you already know but just incase... I spoke to Chris Christensen just now and he told me when he was in Belgium this winter they awarded him the bronze star and the silver is coming!! I did a little dance for him im over the moon thrilled!!!

Lauren

Marion J Chard

I have an extra paper copy of Derrick of Dauntless, if anyone, wants one. First come, first serve. You would just need to cover mailing expenses!!!!

Marion J Chard

I would love to have it!! How can I pay you? Do you accept credit card or prefer a check or money order? I messaged you on fb as well...

Lauren's it is! Talk to you on Monday, re the shipping cost. Enjoy! It's a great read.

Marion J Chard