School project - Amanda

Received this yesterday:

===================

Hello Amanda:

Nice to hear from you and the best of luck with your project. Pleased to assist!

I placed my answers, directly beneath your questions below. Thanks for letting me be part of your project. Let me know if you need any other assistance. This was fun.

Warmly,

Marion

Marion Chard

Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek

540th Combat Engineer WWII

http://www.6thcorpscombatengineers.com

http://www.6thcorpsmusic.us

To: email left off for privacy

Sent: Thursday, January 15, 2009 1:24:56 PM

Subject: WWII Music

Hello,

My name is Amanda and I am working on a project for school. the purpose of the project is to show how music reflects the history of a certain time period. My decade is the 1940s. I really appreciate your collection of music and was wondering if you would be willing to answer a couple questions:

What song(s) do you feel are most representative of the decade? There are so many great tunes! Hmmmm.....My answer would be based on working closely with "my WWII vets", along with my own personal faves. These come to my mind when I think of that era, with emphasis on the war years from 41-45. These are just a few, but ones many still know and sing today. They are eternal.

Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy

Don't Sit Under the Apple Tree

I'll Be Seeing You

Lili Marlene

In the Mood

Over the Rainbow

White Christmas (this can bring most any veteran to tears)

Thanks for the Memory

As Time Goes By

Are there any specific events that you feel are well reflected in the music on your site? Well WWII in general, but I can't help to think of White Christmas again, and the many of the boys away from home for the first time. That song came out in 1942, and many of the men were already overseas, or at training camp. One of my favorite stories comes from a dear veteran friend named, Dick Fietz (pronounced FEETS). Can you imagine hearing that song during the Battle of Bulge? Or a wife playing it at home, yearning to see her husband, who hadn't been home for three years?

"I was at Camp Tyson in Tennessee in 1942 for Christmas. They were playing White Christmas while I tried for hours to get through to my folks on the telephone. That song had me in tears then. I was 19 years old."

If you had to pick the quintessential song of the 1940s, what would you choose? Ooooo, tough one sweetie! (obviously you can't see or tell how long I stalled before answering this one - whew!) I guess I would finally choose, Thanks for the Memory. I think the title says it all, and it makes me think of Bob Hope singing it for the troops, not only duing WWII, but when he entertained the troops overseas for decades.

I realize this is a shot in the dark, but if you have a moment and wouldn't mind helping me out, I would really appreciate your input. It seems as though you know a little something about the music of the time ( :

Thank you in advance

Amanda.

Marion J Chard
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Another school project request, same day:

Hello, We are working on a project about Douglas MacArthur for Social Studies. We would like to use the song "D-day" in our video. Do you know where we can get a downloadable copy of song? Thank you, Matt and Tom

Hey Matt and Tom:

Interesting day for me; received two emails within an hour from students doing projects. Glad to assist you too.

Since there are several references to the song, can you give me a few more specifics? Want to make sure I am looking at the right tune.

Regards, Marion

------------------

The song "D-day" is # 37 on the song list on your website....

But we also wanted to ask for permission for another song, the song is "Here's to you MacArthur" and it is #69 on your songlist. If so, could you happen to grant us with a downloadable version of the songs? thank you, Matt and Tom

Dear Matt and Tom:

Sounds great. Just wanted to make sure!

For future reference; you can download right from the website. Next to each tune, there is an arrow. If you click on the arrow, it will download to your hard drive.

Today for the sake of simplicity, I have attached the two songs in question. Happy to comply.

Good luck. Please keep me posted regarding the outcome of you project.

Warmly,

Marion

Marion J Chard

Amanda; Two songs dear to this old dogface--

"Ill Walk Alone"', and My sister, Anna Marie, may she

rest in peace, would sing in Spanish, "GREEN EYES"

WHEN I was overseas. No.Africa & Italy. Rocky- :armata_PDT_01:

We will try to send you the outcome of our project....

Thank you soo much!!

warm regards,

Matt and Tom

Marion J Chard

We will try to send you the outcome of our project....

Thank you soo much!!

warm regards,

Matt and Tom

Friends

Let's not forget---- Harbor Lights -

Daddy (Sammy Kaye)-Also coming from me-Jersey Bounce-

5 Minutes more--What Is America To Me(OLD Blue Eyes)

Cuzzin Brucie From Joisey