T-4 Chester Yates & Gilbert M Bush

My father was Gilbert Manny Bush from Trenton, New Jersey. He died on V.E. day 8th May, 1945 in the vicinity of Unna, Germany.

Sadly it was a non-battle death, he and two of his buddies drank fuel from the buzz bombs, they apparently were all celebrating the end of the war. All three are buried in Margraten Military Cemetery, the Netherlands.

The names of his friends were TEC4 Chester Yates from Illinois and Seargent Frederick Sierks from Nebraska.

If anyone knew any of these men or indeed remembers the incident, I would love to hear from them.

Many thanks his daughter Angela Bridget Christian.

So nice to see your post here. I have enjoyed our last several emails. I wish you the very best and hope that your efforts prove to be fruitful. I will keep my eyes and ears open to anything and hope I can be of assistance to you.

Take care and keep in touch.

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Well you gotta love days like this. Here's a letter I received from this gentleman and I was able to get him together with the daughter of Gilbert M Bush.

Here's his letter and what transpired...

Hi, I'm SMSgt George Perkins currently stationed with the USAF in Germany. My unit adopted two graves at the American Military Cemetery in Margraten the Netherlands, which is about 30 miles from our base. Around Memorial Day each of the last 3 years we've had a wreath laying ceremony at the grave sites. We've located and swapped pictures with the widow and son of one of our adopted soldiers. In attempting to locate relatives of the other I came a crossed your site. First thanks for your efforts. It's a wonderful site that many must appreciate. Second, in one of the letter's you have posted it mentions our other soldier:

T-4 Chester R. Yates Ser. # 35719864

313th Unf, 79th Division

8 May 1945 Illinois

The letter begins:

12-13-2004 Dear Marion, Thank you for caring. I managed to obtain....

In this letter the lady mentions that her father was friends with T-4 Yates and info about his possessions. Would it be possible to forward my email to this lady to see if she has been in contact with his relatives, and if so could she pass on my contact info?

We're building a shadow box to display in our units main building to let the unit know as much as possible about the soldiers and to ensure care for the graves continues as new people come in and out of our unit. Thanks in advance for considering my request and thanks again for your efforts.

George Perkins SMSgt, USAF Geilenkirchen AB Germany

This is what I wrote back to him....

Hi George:

First thanks for the compliments. I take great pride in my dad's site. It has gone beyond my wildest expectations in just under a year. Not only have I been able to find info on he and his buddies and their unit, but as you can see, I now have info on other WWII vets and have been able to put a lot of people together. It's a great feeling.

I just wrote to Angie and will let you know as soon as I hear something back. I'm sure she will be happy to hear from you. I haven't heard from her in a couple of months, and I hope she has been able to find more info in the interim.

Stay tuned, I will get back with you as soon as I hear anything. God bless you for your efforts.

I then got in touch with Angela and here is our correspondence...

Hi Marion,

I do believe this is a sign - I'll let you know immediately.

Luv Ang.

Dear Ang:

Isn't this wonderful? That is why I always try to post the letters that people send me. As you can see in this case; you never know who will contact you? I am so happy that I could be the middle-man on this. I have put a lot of people together over the last several months and it has been an absolute joy!

Continued success,

Marion

:pdt34:

Marion J Chard

Marion,

That's exciting. I wasn't sure who Angie was and how that fit---I probably missed a post on your site.

I got an email from someone who found their loved one on the list of 470 KIA buried at Anzio with the 179th Regiment, 45th Division. They knew almost nothing about where they were killed. My list confirmed that they were originally buried on Anzio and his grave is still at Nettuno. From this info, they were able to get in contact with a "long lost aunt" and get more info.

It's amazing how it all works out.

Steve

Morning Steve:

The full letter that he is referring to on the Letters and Stories Page is copied below. George saw the letter from Ang there and everything else is history... :)

-------------

12-13-2004

Dear Marion,

Thank you for caring.

I managed to obtain my dad's IDPF which gave some information that I didn't quite expect. Apparently he was married, but, legally separated. He had a wife and three children, from there I eventually made contact with the son of my half brother (both have the same name as my dad).

Sadly there is only one sibling left alive and her name is Peggy-Ann and she lives in North Carolina. When my nephew contacted her she made it clear that she wasn't interested, obviously there was a lot of ill-feeling and she also stated that there was no photographs.

Back to NARA. No I haven't applied for morning reports, I'm not sure how to get them. I would also like my dad's medical records or something that may give a description of him. I'm sure he was handsome, but, even if he wasn't, I still love him.

Personal details from his file say born 15th January, 1916, place of birth New Jersey. It gives his mum's address as Trenton and her death as 2nd December, 1943. His father died when he was about 14 years old so I am assuming that is why he never went to high school.

His only award was his 'combat infantryman's badge' dated 9th December, 1944.

He enlisted at Fort Dix 18th May, 1942 and his serial No is 32267952 Pvt Gilbert M Bush died 8th May, 1945 Dortmund area of Germany. He should have been coming back to my mum.

The one thing that confuses me is if he was in France in December 44, how and why did he go back to England in January? Was he injured? He was definitely in the London area early 45, but, that was when I was conceived. My mum spoke of an incident when he was locked up for being drunk, he bribed one of the M.P.'s to buy a valentines card so that my mum wouldn't be too

upset. So that means he was still in England 14th February.

The person who identified him was a Capt. Raymond McCally, he stated that my dad had been sent as a replacement and that he knew him personally for two and a half months which tallys if my dad was sent back late February. I have spoken to Mrs McCally, but, she was unable to help

The other thing that worries me a little is that his buddy Chester Yates TEC4 from Illinois who died with him, had my dad's testament in his effects. It crossed my mind that their bodies may have been mixed up, but, that is by-the-by. The only personal effects my dad had was 2$ and 46 cents. How sad, to leave this world with nothing.

I can't think of anything else at the moment that might help, it is all so messy.

I bet this will give you a headache too!

Love Ang.

Marion J Chard

Received this from Ang this week. Amazing how things turn out. B)

BTW, Ang mentions the organization AWON below. This stands for American WWII Orphans Network.

Here's the website she refers to:

AWON

-----------------------

Hi Marion,

It's Angela, your little friend from across the pond.

Thought you might be interested. I'm a member of AWON, I joined eighteen

months ago and have made some wonderful friends because of it.

Sharon Connor, one of the members is writing my story for their paper and I

have told them about your site and the recent development because of it.

I have given you a special mention and it should appear in the next issue of

the "Star" which I will gladly send on to you.

Once again many thanks and I promise to keep you informed of any new

developments.

Take care - Ang.

Marion J Chard

Well Mare Bare (that's my nickname) is smiling pretty tonight and is all teary-eyes once again. I just got this letter from Ang and these photos. Gulp!

----------------------------------------

Hi Marion,

We have recently returned from our visit to Margraten Military Cemetery and

thought you might like to know that I met up with Sgt. Perkins of US Air

Force.

He was very charming and agreed to honour my dad for me. As you can see, I

took control and marched them up to my dad's grave and after they had honoured him the Sgt said 'stand at ease' and I told them dismissed and they all lost their

composure. Even the saddest moments can have a lighter side.

No further news as yet (re photo), but, still hoping and praying.

Take care and thank you.

Angie Christian

post-3-1118701521_thumb.jpg

Attached Files
.jpg   Angie.jpg (Size: 31.43 KB / Downloads: 0)
Marion J Chard

Angie

Dan playing sax

post-3-1118701650_thumb.jpg

Attached Files
.jpg   Dan_Sax.jpg (Size: 23.68 KB / Downloads: 0)
Marion J Chard

Follow me boys...

post-3-1118701829_thumb.jpg

Attached Files
.jpg   Follow_me_boys.jpg (Size: 11.93 KB / Downloads: 0)
Marion J Chard

Honoring dad!

post-3-1118701903_thumb.jpg

Attached Files
.jpg   Honour_Dad_1.jpg (Size: 13.88 KB / Downloads: 0)
Marion J Chard