Salerno Report

M1: Maybe you or others can help answer some questions.

In the Salerno Report, which General Gardes wrote in 1959, he comments on a chapter of the Engineers in the War Against Germany. Was he referring to a draft of the book The Corps of Engineers: The War Against Germany, published much later in 1985?

Also in his cover letter to Mr. Remington, Gardes says the history of the 36th written by an officer is misleading or contrary to his personal knowledge. Is this the 17-page history from the Adjutant? Or is there another history someone compiled on the 36th Engineers (aside from sitreps)?

And do you know who is Col. Shotwell that conducted the Gardes/Chubbuck interview?

Both of these papers are very interesting.

It is one and the same. It took years to compile. This is what I stated on our main site:

Received the following document from Captain John Fallon. This is a letter from Brigadier General George W Gardes, to Mr. Jesse A Remington, Director of the Historical Section, Department of the Army.

The General is commenting on the book, Engineers in the War Against Germany (see our book section), and has added his perspective on Salerno. It's a very interesting read. Thanks John!

The Salerno Report - added 11-23-08

I would think that the General's comments were incorporated into the book.

To be honest I have no data, nor any idea who he is referring to, regarding the officer. I have not been given any clue to the identity of said officer.

I will have to look into the full name of Col Shotwell.

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"
You're right, many of the General's comments were incorporated and footnoted in the book. I think he was not quoted after 'From Salerno to the Volturno' -- but not sure since I returned the book to library. Its possible that he never completed a written review of the subsequent chapters as planned. Thanks for confirming that the titles in question are one and the same book.

"From Salerno to the Volturno",

Read the book, "DOGFACES WHO SMILED THROUGH TEARS".

Written by a dogface that was there. RJR

Rocky, its on my book list and I intend to read it pretty soon. I'll be remembering you when I do. Thank you again for giving your heart and soul for America. And sticking up for combat engineers.

Peanuts

Rocky, its on my book list and I intend to read it pretty soon. I'll be remembering you when I do. Thank you again for giving your heart and soul for America. And sticking up for combat engineers.

Peanuts

ALL "COMBAT" ENGINEERS SHOULD HAVE AND WEAR THE C.I.B. tHEY

ARE ONE OF THE RESONS WHY I CAN SEND THIS. ROCKY

1st. Bn. 135th Inf. Regt. 34th "RED BULL" Divn. it'sinthebook

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Seabees at Salerno! Carolyn 3 4,403 03-21-2010, 12:10 PM
Last Post: Thurman
  After-action report 121st Eng - 29th Inf Div Walt's Daughter 0 3,882 01-20-2009, 09:09 AM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  Engineers in Salerno Walt's Daughter 3 6,805 05-13-2007, 01:11 PM
  Found my dad's name in report May 1944 Walt's Daughter 3 4,510 04-21-2006, 06:29 PM