History of the 337th Engineer Combat Battalion

I`m coming up with a lot of blanks on the 185th ECB. They first appear on the 5th Army order of battle on 9 April 1945. I find no mention of this unit prior to this date which makes me think it may have a unit constituted from an inactivated AntiAircraft Bn.

They do have campaign credits for Rome- Arno, North Apennines, & Po Valley.

hmm, Having a credit for Rome- Arno possibly indicates they could have been a Peninsular Base Section unit before being attached to 5 th Army.

which makes me think it may have a unit constituted from an inactivated AntiAircraft Bn.

Very very interesting, I did not know that the engineer had also AntiAircraft tasks, or they were transferred into the engineer?

Every day is a surprise and a pleasure again!

Today I was reminded of a question ... any ideas on what was the division of Major Rowell?

Enrico:

Many of the engineering units were designated as "bastards", meaning they were independent regiments and battalions. They were not divisional, but fell under the hierarchy of a CORPS or ARMY group.

For instance, in Italy, my dad's unit would have been under the jurisdiction of Fifth Army

In Sicily my dad's unit were under the direction of Patton's 7th Army

Each division did have their own engineers. For instance the 3rd Division's engineers were the 10th. But as in many cases, my dad's unit were ATTACHED to such units as the 3rd or 36th Infantry Divisions.

Hope that helps ya.

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Ah, very interesting I was not aware of this thing!

thanks a lot! As always I find very interesting things here!

By 1943 the Army had over 900 AntiAircraft Regiments & assorted battalions. With the demise of the Luftwaffe in the Meditereanian there was an over abundance of these units that were no longer needed for antiaircraft defence so they started to deactivate the regiments so the personel could be used elsewhere. Some of the units were disbanded & many of the men were transfered to replacement depots for reassignment as infantry replacements. Many units were formed into Military Police companys and battalions, others were converted to engineer battalions, especialy after many Engineer Combat units of 5th Army left Italy to join 7th Army for the Invasion of Southern France in 1944 which left 5th Army with a critical shortage of engineers.

In the case of the 337th ECB. they were originated from the 3rd battalion of the 209th Coast Artillery Regiment:

209th Coast Artillery Regiment (Antiaircraft) (Semimobile)

14 MAR 44 Redesignated thus:

3rd Battalion > 335th Antiaircraft Artillery Searchlight Battalion at Bari, Italy

335th Antiaircraft Artillery Searchlight Battalion

01 MAY 44 Activated at Bari, Italy

07 DEC 44 Redesignated as 337th Engineer Combat Battalion at Malpensa, Italy.

The 337th was assigned to 1108th Engineer Combat Group, given 30 days training on baily bridges, & mines, then sent out to where the action was.

The 1108th was under IV Corps command.

The 337th was assigned to 1108th Engineer Combat Group, given 30 days training on baily bridges, & mines, then sent out to where the action was.

The 1108th was under IV Corps command.

At that point the 1108th had broken into two separate battalions. The 235th Bn remained in Italy and the 48th Bn went to southern France with my dad's unit (they trained together), for the invasion of Southern France.

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

I am increasingly fascinated, it is difficult to explain, but when I read these things in my head are formed some images, like visions ... (I am a romantic dreamer :D) but these brief moments are more beautiful than any else!

Is as if I could be there for a few seconds and know all these great men!

Hello,

My grandfather served in the 209th Coastal Artillery (According to the Regiment book he was in the 2nd Battalion).

From what my dad tells me, he was only in the European Theater when he served, however his service ribbons are from the Pacific/Philippine Campaign: Good Conduct, Asiatic/Pacific Campaign (w/2 bronze stars), American Campaign Medal, American Defense Medal, and Philippine Liberation Medal.

Can anyone tell me why he wouldn't have any ribbons from the European Campaign and only the Pacific Theater? According to what I have found on this site the 3rd Battalion of the 209 was reassigned to the Pacific (as the 337th), but not the 2nd Battalion.

I appreciate any help you can provide,

TD

Hi TD, welcome to the forum. I`ll do what i can to answer your questions, but we`ll need to start with a little more info. Do you have your grandfather`s discharge documents? the report of separation will give me the clues to start finding the answers.

Larry

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The 187th Engineer Combat Bn PDP2020 0 2,348 12-05-2022, 04:48 PM
Last Post: PDP2020
  250 Engineer Battalion Company Research R Eric 0 2,714 11-08-2022, 03:27 AM
Last Post: R Eric
  2827th Engineer Battalion Walt's Daughter 3 11,329 11-19-2019, 08:56 AM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  245th Engineer Combat Battalion, U.S. Third Army 1874thhistorian 5 13,358 08-21-2019, 01:01 AM
Last Post: mikel
  174th Engineer Combat Battalion Wendy 4 12,040 04-22-2019, 08:41 PM
  1274th Engineer Construction Battalion cincinnatikid 3 6,428 03-25-2019, 02:57 PM
  291st Engineer Combat Battalion Roster EngineerReenactor 9 20,078 02-01-2019, 02:42 PM
Last Post: mikel
  169th Engineer Combat Battalion angatti 15 20,849 10-07-2018, 11:41 AM
Last Post: angatti
  Camp Gordon Georgia 551 heavy engineer pontoon battalion photos Georgejohn 12 12,247 09-20-2018, 01:23 AM
Last Post: Georgejohn
  Jack Frank 1142nd Combat Engineer Group Frank Gubbels 4 5,874 05-27-2018, 03:11 AM
Last Post: Frank Gubbels