History of the 337th Engineer Combat Battalion

Larry. That is fantastic news. How exciting for Enrico and for the Major's family.

BRAVO to all involved!

:pdt34: :pdt34:

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Some good news! I have got a reply from my inquiry on Ancestry and am now in contact with a niece of Major Rowell.

"Subject: RE: Would like to know if this Ernest L Rowell was an officer in WWII

Yes, Ernest L. Rowell, JR was an Army Officer. He was my Uncle E.L. The family has pictures of him in uniform.

Subject: RE: Would like to know if this Ernest L Rowell was an officer in WWII

Unfortunately Mrs. E.L. Rowell, my Aunt Shasta, died before my Uncle E. L. did. Uncle E. L. died a number of years ago in Ft. Myers, FL where they had moved after he retired from the phone company. After the war was over, he went to work for the phone company as an engineer. His father (my grandfather) had worked for the phone company too (as did my father).

Subject: RE: Would like to know if this Ernest L Rowell was an officer in WWII

I'll be glad to talk to Enrico. What kind of information does he want about my uncle?"

I dont have an email address for her yet, but we`ll find a way to get you in touch with her.

Also, from Ancestry rocords:

Florida Death Index, 1877-1998

about Ernest L Rowell Name: Ernest L Rowell

Death Date: 23 Aug 1994

County of Death: Lee

State of Death: Florida

Age at Death: 85

Race: White

Birth Date: 5 Feb 1909

Thankyou thank you thank you, I'm really happy! I thought it was a desperate search, but in such a short time you have given me an incredible news!

I really hope to return the favor!

Thank you very much

I recently received photos of Major Rowell, I will attach one!

I am thrilled and now I will try to investigate as far as possible, the history of Major!

Thank you all for the great help!

post-1233-0-95329800-1299796380_thumb.jpg

Attached Files
.jpg   ELRowellJr1943.jpg (Size: 28.44 KB / Downloads: 0)

It`s great to see you got togther with Fran Rowell and a pleasure to have been able to help you.

I`m thinking it`s most likey Major Rowell served most of the war with the 185th ECB. before taking command of the 337th. There doesnt seem to be a lot of info available on the 185th but the search continues.

The major is a very handsome man. oooh-la-la!

Marion J Chard

The major is a very handsome man. oooh-la-la!

I have not written it, but I thought too! :P

I don't know what you'd like to know about it. I can give you a briefing as follows

E.L. was born February 5, 1909 in Jacksonville, St Johns, Florida, USA. He was the first of 10 children (5 boys and 5 girls) to E.L. Rowell, Sr. and his wife, Harriette Cunningham. By 1920, the family had moved to Salem, VA. E.L. Rowell, Sr. worked for the telephone company so the family had moved several times, including living in Florida, Georgia, North Carolina, before settling in Virginia. He married Shasta Nelson. They had no children. I was their godchild. After the war, they remained in the Portsmouth, VA area where Shasta was lived when he was overseas. Portsmouth is next to Norfolk, VA and there is a big naval base there. They bought a home in Virginia Beach, VA and lived there for many years until Shasta died in 1980. They had bought a place in Ft. Myers, Florida to use for the winter months after E.L. retired from the telephone company in Norfolk, VA. E.L. decided to move to Ft. Myers permanantly after Shasta died so I only got to see him when he came north for a family reunion.

The house in Va. Beach, VA was on the water and E.L. had a boat that he loved to run about in. He loved to play cards - bridge and poker.

E.L. married a woman that he met after moving to Ft. Myers. I never got to meet her though. E. L. died in 1994.

This is a brief history of the Major, told me by his nephew, Fran Rowell.

Unfortunately she does not know anything about the war period...

I hope this can still be of interest to someone, also if anyone has any other system to know the history of the Major in the Combat Engineer would be great!

That is wonderful news. It's fantastic you got to talk to a member of the family.

Yes, it would be nice to find some additional info; that from the war. Well let's see what happens next. I think we proved WE (the forum), make a great team.

:armata_PDT_01: :armata_PDT_01:

Marion J Chard

Undoubtedly, the best!

Thanks again for all your support! :armata_PDT_37:

Someday in the future, we will have a grand reunion for all the forum folks and their families, and all of us will get together to laugh, cry, remember, rejoice and hug. And we will give thanks to those who made this all this possible; THE VETS.

Marion J Chard

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The 187th Engineer Combat Bn PDP2020 0 2,340 12-05-2022, 04:48 PM
Last Post: PDP2020
  250 Engineer Battalion Company Research R Eric 0 2,712 11-08-2022, 03:27 AM
Last Post: R Eric
  2827th Engineer Battalion Walt's Daughter 3 11,321 11-19-2019, 08:56 AM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  245th Engineer Combat Battalion, U.S. Third Army 1874thhistorian 5 13,340 08-21-2019, 01:01 AM
Last Post: mikel
  174th Engineer Combat Battalion Wendy 4 12,028 04-22-2019, 08:41 PM
  1274th Engineer Construction Battalion cincinnatikid 3 6,415 03-25-2019, 02:57 PM
  291st Engineer Combat Battalion Roster EngineerReenactor 9 20,039 02-01-2019, 02:42 PM
Last Post: mikel
  169th Engineer Combat Battalion angatti 15 20,807 10-07-2018, 11:41 AM
Last Post: angatti
  Camp Gordon Georgia 551 heavy engineer pontoon battalion photos Georgejohn 12 12,219 09-20-2018, 01:23 AM
Last Post: Georgejohn
  Jack Frank 1142nd Combat Engineer Group Frank Gubbels 4 5,866 05-27-2018, 03:11 AM
Last Post: Frank Gubbels