1377th Engineer Petroleum

I'm doing some research for a friend of mine and right now I'm looking at the WW II service of Lambert "Bud" Burkett. I believe that he served as a private in the 1377th Engineer Petroleum Distributing Co., U. S. Army. His daughter doesn't have any info on this unit so I'm trying to find that for her. I'm also trying to find any possible survivors from the unit or family members who might have photos, etc., of the unit. I'd appreciate any help. Thank you.

Melissa

Melissa,

I dont have any direct iformation on the 1377th but if you can get hold of a copy of the book:

US ARMY IN WWII - THE TECHNICAL SERVICES - THE CORPS OF ENGINEERS THE WAR AGAINST GERMANY.

Look in the index under: POL (petrol oils and lubricants).

Here you will find extensive coverage on the part played by the US Army Engineer Petroleum organisation in Europe.

Colin. :tank:

Hi Melissa,welcome to the forum,

There is very little info available for the individual Engineer Petroleum Distributing Co`s.

The 1377th has campaign credits for Northern France - July 25, 1944 - September 14, 1944

and Rhineland September 1, 1944 - December 18, 1944.

The best way to get the info on the unit is to contact the National Archives for unit rosters, morning reports, operational reports, etc. You can find the contact numbers & adresses for NARA & how to request the documents in the Research section of the forum,

There is no association for the 1377th, but there is one for a possible "sister" unit, the 1374th, who may or may not have info on other units.

1374th Engr Petrol Distr CO

Mr. Hugh B. Rhodes

208 Keen Avenue, North

Estill, SC 29918

(803) 625-3741

The book reference Colin gave you is an excellent source of information.

Another book is Fuel To The Troops, by John G. Sullivan

Fuel to the Troops

Some online reading: HyperWar:Logistical Support of the Armies, Vol 1 Chapter 7

Welcome, and I hope you will find all our clues and suggestions, helpful.

Colin, and Melissa, that book is available on web now, so you can view it right here. Ain't the internet just great???

The Corps of Engineers: The War Against Germany

Try downloading the ZIP file entitled, Set-5-Disk-1.zip

http://www.ibiblio.org/pha/USA-in-WWII/Set-5-of-7/

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

My father served as a cook in the 705th Petroleum Distribution Co in wwii. I dont know much about what they were doing day to day and I was looking for more info.

Gary

Hello Gary and welcome to our forum. Always thrilled to have another son or daughter of WWII veteran here!

Let's see what we can dig up.

Off for now, making a pie this morning. Yum!!!

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Hi Gary, welcome to the forum.

The 705th Petroleum Distribution Co served in Italy under the command of the Peninsular Base Section. They have campaign credits for Naples - Foggia, Rome - Arno, & Po Valley and a Meritorious Unit Commendation for 12 May`44 - 31 Oct `45 per General Order 303, Hqs Peninsular Base Section dtd 7 Dec `45.

In the book : United States Army in World War 2, Technical Services, The Corps of Engineers, the 705th EPDCo joined & worked with the 696th EPDCo in Naples in Dec 1943.

United States Army in World War 2, Technical Services, The Corps of Engineers

I dont know if the 705th went to Italy direct from the US or if they were in North Africa prior to going to Italy which was the usual staging / training area for units going to Italy, If they were in North Africa, they would have been Under the Mediteranean Base section at Oran, or the Eastern Base Section in Tunisia.

Ben Myers Associations and Alumni Database, lists a contact for the 705th:

705th Engr Peto Dist Co

Mr. Phil J Neumann 815-672-3972

RR 3

Streator, IL 61364-9803

My uncle also served as an aviation engineer in Italy and France. I don't know much about what he was doing or what unit he served with. Could you help me?

Gary

We`ll sure try to help you with your uncle, please give us whatever imformation you have on him, name, location etc. Any bit of info no matter how insignificant it seems can provides clues in searching.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1377th Engineers Walt's Daughter 1 3,171 09-02-2006, 10:00 AM
Last Post: alkincer