Very strange but let's put it in a quiz

To all.

Normally I don't want to make a quiz about people who are buried, but let's take a look at this here. I went to Henri-Chapelle cemetery this afternoon and we got a tour from the chairman. He showed us really strange things, told us stories about soldiers. Very interesting and powerfull.

Well, I know some stories by the next pictures but I want you to read everything on the pictures very good. After a correct answer I will give you a story about the soldier, if I have one for you. Beware, I know some very interesting stories about some of them!!!! I am doing this because I also want to know more about the unit these men were in or their country of origing. That's all I will tell you now :P

dsc6148kleinerow7.jpg

dsc6164kleinersv0.jpg

dsc6168kleineryd2.jpg

dsc6175kleineryq5.jpg

dsc6176kleinerlr0.jpg

Second string of pictures.

dsc6181kleinerps9.jpg

dsc6182kleinerpy8.jpg

dsc6185kleinerik5.jpg

dsc6198kleinerdn7.jpg

dsc6199kleinertq1.jpg

Third string.

dsc6201kleinerqp7.jpg

dsc6202kleinerko6.jpg

dsc6203kleineral5.jpg

dsc6214kleineriz2.jpg

dsc6215kleinerjz3.jpg

And the last string.

dsc6218kleinergx4.jpg

dsc6220kleinerrz7.jpg

dsc6226kleinerdc7.jpg

dsc6230kleinertz5.jpg

Good luck everybody.

Regards,

Frank

Well there sure are some interesting names, such as Alie B Alie. That one certainly caught my eye. :pdt20:

I see we also have a war correspondent too. Not sure what else we are supposed to be looking for... :pdt12:

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Well there sure are some interesting names, such as Alie B Alie. That one certainly caught my eye. :pdt20:

He was from Palestina. That's the only thing I will tell you now :P . If you know a bit more or if you think you will have an idea what his task was just write it down. I will tell you if you're correct or not.

Frank

A lot of them are burials after the Battle of the Bulge. Where they prisoners?

Minerault Emile - OSS = Office of Strategic Services, he probably was an agent dropped behind enemy lines to monitor enemy movements.

Went missing in action, probably captured and executed but his body never found?

Eric Fisher Wood fought a sort of guerilla war after his unit got captured by the Germans in the early days of the Ardennes Offensive. The 106th Division was virtually wiped out .... 7 000 PoWs in 3 days. The remaining Regiment (424th) fought in the Sankt Vith sector.

Lt. Wood and some other men fought the Germans in the wooded area around Meyerode.

Severre Efteland - 99th Infantry Battalion; this unit was comprised of GIs from Norwegian decent. Not to be confused with the 99th Infantry Division (Checkerboard).

The GIs with date of death December 17, 1944 were PoWs killed by Waffen-SS at Baugnez (Malmedy Massacre).

Eugene Taylor - 16th General Hospital; he probably died when a V1 or a bomb from a German plane (I am not sure about which one) hit the hospital on December 24, 1944 (?).

I believe they were stationed in a Crystal making factory (Val Saint Lambert).

Alie B. Alie - 93rd Medical or Medium Gas Treatment Battalion (?).

That's as far as my memory goes.

Looking forward to the stories.

Erwin

Btw, was the War Coorespondent killed together with Hugh McHugh (sp?) ?

Erwin

Great job Erwin.

= Quoted from Erwin

Minerault Emile - OSS = Office of Strategic Services, he probably was an agent dropped behind enemy lines to monitor enemy movements.

Went missing in action, probably captured and executed but his body never found?

He was indeed assigned to special forces. Something like the CIA nowadays. They were with about 200 men and 150 of them got killed. They got a special training and parachuted back into their own country to help the resistance. Especially with the escape of airmen who were shot down. Like you said he is probably captured and executed. It happened often that resistance groups were betrayed.

Eric Fisher Wood fought a sort of guerilla war after his unit got captured by the Germans in the early days of the Ardennes Offensive. The 106th Division was virtually wiped out .... 7 000 PoWs in 3 days. The remaining Regiment (424th) fought in the Sankt Vith sector.

Lt. Wood and some other men fought the Germans in the wooded area around Meyerode.

At his gravestone his date of death is December 17. But that's the date that Americans saw him for the last time. Eyewittnesses reports that he fought in a forest and came into their village for food and went back into the forest. The last time they saw him was January 21 or 22. Later he was found and within a few meters there were 7 death German soldiers which were probably killed by him before he got KIA.

Severre Efteland - 99th Infantry Battalion; this unit was comprised of GIs from Norwegian decent. Not to be confused with the 99th Infantry Division (Checkerboard).

Additional information is that they were formed into 1 Battalion and they would be used for the invasion of Norway. But they fought in central Europe including Normandy. The chairman told us a story he heard from one of the survivors. Here it is:

When we came back in Norway in our American uniforms the Norwegian people thought that they were Americans and they were really surprised that all those American soldiers spoke the Norwegian language. They couldn't get the girls away from them. Then the Norwegian King came to them and 50 men were selected for as a guard. He said: Man, did we look sharp at that moment.

The GIs with date of death December 17, 1944 were PoWs killed by Waffen-SS at Baugnez (Malmedy Massacre).

Carl Genthner was driving in an ambulance. He was taken prisoner near Malmedy and the prisoners came together near Baugnez. The officers were standing up front and the soldiers stood behind them. Genthner was from German origine and 1 German said something to him. Genthner replied probably with the words: You can kiss my ass, but then in German. The German soldier didn't like that reply off course. He took his pistol and shot Genthner. Soldiers couldn't see what was happening but heard the shot. They started running and the Germans started shooting. When all the Americans were down. The German who shot Genthner was walking through the field and when he thought that someone was still alive he shot him. 3 Americans were still living. One of them shouted:"When you're alive you will have to run to the treeline now. They ran to the treeline and the few Germans who were still there started shooting and killed one of them. The other 2 escaped.

It has never been proved but probably Carl Genthner will be the first American soldier being killed at the Malmedy massacre.

Eugene Taylor - 16th General Hospital; he probably died when a V1 or a bomb from a German plane (I am not sure about which one) hit the hospital on December 24, 1944 (?).

I believe they were stationed in a Crystal making factory (Val Saint Lambert).

I am sorry but I can't give you more information about this one.

Alie B. Alie - 93rd Medical or Medium Gas Treatment Battalion (?).

In WW1 there were some attacks where the Germans used gas. This man was trained for a special task in World War 2 but I don't exactly know it. Sorry. Perhaps someone else, who is around here, can clear up some things. He came originally from Palestina.

Regards,

Frank