Lee Miller's War - woman war correspondent

I just read "Lee Miller's War" really great! the only woman who has obtained a permit as a war correspondent with the united states army, she followed the troops to their debarquement up their progress in the land ... I'm impressed by this woman who had not cold with eyes!

But,I have a question has to you ask . If there were not other women war correspondent for the army of the United States ?

Vee

post-227-1221210679_thumb.jpg

Attached Files
.jpg   51ffbk10.jpg (Size: 56.23 KB / Downloads: 0)

Dear Vee:

Well actually there were a few. Here's a bit of info here, with more to follow.

When America entered World War II after the Japanese bombing of Pearl Harbor Dec. 7, 1941, female journalists and photographers were assigned as overseas war correspondents. Some notable correspondents include:

* Margaret Bourke-White, hired in 1935 as the first female photojournalist for Life magazine, was also the first female American war correspondent and the first allowed to work in combat zones during World War II. Bourke-White covered the London Blitz, the Russian war effort, and various World War II battles. She also was one of the first photographers to enter and document the Nazi death camps.

* Marguerite Higgins, assigned to cover the Seventh Army in Europe during 1944 for the New York Herald Tribune, entered Berlin with allied troops and reported on Hitler's demise. She later reported on the Korean War (1950-53) and won a Pulitzer Prize. Higgins died from a tropical disease after covering American military involvement in Southeast Asia in 1965.

* Georgette "Dickey" Chapelle, a pre-war barnstorming pilot and photojournalist, covered World War II for Look magazine. After editing Seventeen magazine in 1946, she and her husband documented the war damage in Europe. Chapelle also covered conflicts in Algeria, Lebanon and Korea, and photographed Fidel Castro's revolution in Cuba. While covering the Vietnam War in 1965, she was killed by a mine explosion.

I LOVE Margaret's reporting, and in fact have a few articles by her in a book which was given to me by my daughter, for Christmas last year. The book is called, Reporting World War II. It's actually a two-part series. The first part covers from 38-44.

It also includes stories from the following female writers: Dorothy Thompson, Sonia Tomara, Helen Lawrenson, Annalee Jacoby, Mary Heaton Vorse, Martha Gellhorn, Sigrid Schultz, and Getrude Stein. A few covered the home front, but many such as Margaret, were RIGHT THERE!

Well have to run right now, gotta get ready to open our country store in a few minutes....

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Some photos for all...

I will post names in a moment, as soon as I see how what order the uploads come up.... Back in a moment...

Okay, I'm back...

The ones which aren't named are:

First row, second photo - Virginia Cowles

Third row, second photo - Gertrude Stein

Photo on cover - Margaret Bourke-White

post-2-1221236651_thumb.jpg

post-2-1221236663_thumb.jpg

post-2-1221236676_thumb.jpg

post-2-1221236684_thumb.jpg

post-2-1221236699_thumb.jpg

post-2-1221236709_thumb.jpg

Attached Files
.jpg   Women_Journalists_WWII001.jpg (Size: 26.35 KB / Downloads: 0)
.jpg   Women_Journalists_WWII002.jpg (Size: 7.28 KB / Downloads: 0)
.jpg   Women_Journalists_WWII003.jpg (Size: 17.15 KB / Downloads: 0)
.jpg   Women_Journalists_WWII004.jpg (Size: 21.01 KB / Downloads: 0)
.jpg   Women_Journalists_WWII005.jpg (Size: 4.54 KB / Downloads: 0)
.jpg   Women_Journalists_WWII006.jpg (Size: 8.11 KB / Downloads: 0)
Marion J Chard

Dear Vee:

Funny how things work in tandem....

I was reading an article by Ernie Pyle, which I am going to include excerpts from for my North Africa segment, for the documentary. The article is also from the same book.

Anyway... I typed the name of the article into GOOGLE, hoping to find out more, or maybe seeing the article online. I ran across this reference here, and guess who is mentioned within the article? Yup, you guessed correctly; Lee Miller. Talk about coincidences today! :pdt34:

http://books.google.com/books?id=i0CQV8rjG...7&ct=result

Lee Miller was Ernie's former biographer and editor.

Marion J Chard

Dear Marion ,

Super ! I knew not thank you very much for this info.

These women who ran on all the fronts of the second war.

Beautiful lesson of courage.

thank you for pictures they have very beautiful

I found these two links. I liked reading them !

Ernie Pyle:

http://journalism.indiana.edu/resources/er...artime-columns/

Lee Miller's:

http://www.leemiller.co.uk/index.html

Vee

Dear Vee:

So glad you enjoyed that additional information.

You are right; the link regarding Ernie Pyle is very good. In fact, it is one of the links I have on our main web site.

I will be sure to include the link about Lee Miller. Merci beaucoup mon ami!

Marion

Marion J Chard

Marion,

I found the link

Dorothy Thompson :

http://www.peterkurth.com/AMERICAN%20CASSANDRA.htm

Vee

GREAT!!!

Marion J Chard

Marion,

I found this link quite by chance !

I think you will like !

http://www.loc.gov/exhibits/wcf/wcf0005.html

Vee

Marion and Vee what a great source of research material this topic is for me. I had never come across such a

wealth of Ernie Pyle's articles as this and my Sicily connection made it even more interesting. I managed to obtain and read Ernie's 'Brave Men' some time ago. The female WWII journalist stories are also an area new to me. Do you know if either of the books 'Lee Miller's War' or 'Reporting WWII' deal with the Sicily campaign?

Thank you both.

Colin. :tank: