My grandpa's friend is having surgery today

My grandpa's buddy, "Mutt" is having surgery today to remove a kidney. He is an Iwo Jima veteran and a Marine. He and my grandpa have been friends since a few years after the war.

Please remember him in your thoughts and prayers today.

Brooke

Will do Brooke! Our best to him.
Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Brooke,

My cousin John Howard was an Iwo Marine vet and one of the very best people I've ever known, so I'm sure he's got a seat close to the Lord & I'll ask him to put in a special word for your Grandpa's friend and fellow Iwo Marine "Mutt" (there's gotta be a great story to go along with that nickname!).

Mary Ann

Mutt is doing good, he talked to my grandpa today and he's being released tomorrow at 11 am.

Thanks everyone !!

Brooke :armata_PDT_37:

Wonderful news Brooke!! Those Iwo Jima Marine vets are TOUGH! OORAH!

May God continue to bless your Grandpa and his friend "Mutt".

mary ann

AMEN!!! :armata_PDT_01:
Marion J Chard

Glad to hear the good news. Surviving Iwo, Anzio, or even something not in the same ballpark, such as boot camp, is more about mental toughness than physical. If one gives up on them self, then it usually hastens the end. It sounds like this old Gyrine still has a little spit and vinegar left in 'im.

Speaking of Anzio and Iwo, they were remarkably similar in the fact that "rear areas" weren't much safer than the front with the enemy pouring indirect fire (read artillery, mortars, rockets, etc.) down on you.

Maj Todd O. USMC, Retired
Grandson of LTC John O'Brien

I was informed yesterday that Mutt has cancer of the aorta and it has spread to his lymph nodes. His expectancy is measured only in months. I'm sure it wasn't the first time in his life he heard those words.

Bless him.

No that doesn't sound good at all. God bless him, and make his last few months as comfortable as possible. So sorry to hear this.

Many hugs,

Marion

Marion J Chard

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  My grandpa died today 3_7_I_Recon 9 9,501 05-17-2009, 08:24 AM
Last Post: roque_riojas
  It's been a year today since we lost our family's Marine Combat Eng Bill Corwin 2 4,395 08-12-2007, 02:18 PM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter