Day to Day Life Overseas!

13rdinf,

You gave three items for survival

coffe, cig's and booze, you forgot most important CANDY.

In Pacific the candy was the kind that never melted, I don't remember how it went down but I traded my cig's for candy. I still love candy. If you like candy you will love Marion's penny candy that coct's two penny;\'s unless you steal it.

papa Art

You got me started though. Aint you sorry. Will reread your post on pics and later try posting one.

Right now I have about 50 WW 2 pics in my photo storage on Comcast.net of my few pics and many from a friend of mine from the same 7th Inf Reg who although in a different part of the 7th Reg. was platoon ldr. (Lt.) of I&R platoon if you have any interest..

Oh no, we're not sorry we got you started. I am glad we did! :D

Can't wait to see some photos. That would be wonderful. As they say, a picture is worth a thousand words. :pdt34:

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Going to try a "thumnbail pic". Just one at first. Can more than 1 "thumbmail pic" be

put on the same posting??? This one, if it comes out is of my buddy Johnny Moreal,

the Sarge and myself. Me on the left. Probably around Mar. '45 in a small village in Germany we just captured. Had about a 4 hour rest before moving on to the next objective... Luckily they had no tanks, just infantry for their delaying action. Next town, we were not that lucky. Had to get help from our 601 T.D. Bn..

post-11-1112818922_thumb.jpg

Attached Files
.jpg   guys1.jpg (Size: 27.03 KB / Downloads: 0)

Ah, you did great. Your first thumbnail. :pdt34: Unfortunately you can only have one attachment per post. Danged, so you just have to keep adding one at a time to this thread.

You guys look like a great bunch. Hey you were pretty good-looking from what I can tell. You have to excuse me, I'm a big flirt! :wub::lol:

Did the other two make it through the war? :unsure: And if so, did you continue to correspond etc.?

Marion J Chard

Yes, through the grace of God all 3 of us made it. Lost track of the Sgt. Ed Garrow

but corresponded with Johnny Moreal until about 2 years ago when something happened and cannot locate him or hear from him even though I have tried many times and searched for him. One more pic than I will cease for a while in posting. I am "guarding" ? about 20 Kraut prisoners who came up i a truck with white flags attached

on the last day of ETO war to surrender. We didnt really know what to do with them but

were stuck with them till some outfit came up and took them within 2 days. Pic shows

Sgt. Ed Garrow "checking his guard. Me"". Fact is I have his M-1 carbine as that damn

Thompson of miine was kinda heavy and uneeded as they probably got home before me

and we felt that was all they were interested in. This was in a village near Salzburg Austria after we were requested to leave Berchtesgaden after capturing and clearing it

on May 4 '45. Seems like "they" wanted us out for some reason.

post-11-1112830396_thumb.jpg

Attached Files
.jpg   austria45.jpg (Size: 26.01 KB / Downloads: 0)

i3rdinf,

Hi, how many pointsd did you have to get ?

In the Pacific we needed 95 pointsDo you have a name , mine is Art

and we are a friendly (Marion cntrolled) group. Glade you are aboard

papa Art

"Did you say that your brother and dad were both serving too? Wow, did everyone come home okay? That had to be very hard on your mom." Yes, quite true. Fact is my dad

(not reg. army and couldnt enlist again finally "volunteered for the draft" and was excepted at age 46.) The same time he was comming home on a hospital ship after being badly wounded in France I was heading over to the ETO. Took me about 10 weeks to find out his condition. Made me kinda unhappy with the Krauts to say the least.. And yes, my brother was a gunner in the Air Force, while I was just a dogface.

Kinda hard on Mom during this time, also shortened her life as she died about 2 years after the war. My dad survived after a stay in the hospital, and all three of us came home thank God. This was quite a reunion. Damn it, you got me thinking of things

that happened and will continue as memory serves and time allows. You really have me

thinking back a ways. And yes, my dad was a ww 1 wounded vet in France also. He was born Apr. '1898. Also had one cousin (Ray Kelly) who was a surviving member of the USS Arizona at Pearl Harbor. He was also transferred to the Yorktown which was

bad news. But he survived the war also. All of this is actual facts and can be verified.

Oh My I just found this story and I am so glad I did! That is pretty amazing that they let your Dad in at that age.God bless all of you for your service.I just had to comment as this is as far as I ahve gotten but I am ready to read more so please keep posting and I cant wait to see photos. Thank you for sharing your life with us

Cindy

Yes, through the grace of God all 3 of us made it. Lost track of the Sgt. Ed Garrow

but corresponded with Johnny Moreal until about 2 years ago when something happened and cannot locate him or hear from him even though I have tried many times and searched for him. One more pic than I will cease for a while in posting. I am "guarding" ? about 20 Kraut prisoners who came up i a truck with white flags attached

on the last day of ETO war to surrender. We didnt really know what to do with them but

were stuck with them till some outfit came up and took them within 2 days. Pic shows

Sgt. Ed Garrow "checking his guard. Me"". Fact is I have his M-1 carbine as that damn

Thompson of miine was kinda heavy and uneeded as they probably got home before me

and we felt that was all they were interested in. This was in a village near Salzburg Austria after we were requested to leave Berchtesgaden after capturing and clearing it

on May 4 '45. Seems like "they" wanted us out for some reason.

My Dad was in Austria I think around the same time in Stier guarding POW's, he was with the 1st Infantry Div. He also assisted DP's somewhere around Poland. He was with Railway Security. Maybe you met!!! It wouldnt surprise me ..Here is one of the photos of my Dad in Poland

post-11-1112887044_thumb.jpg

Attached Files
.jpg   dad_polish_dps.JPG (Size: 67.97 KB / Downloads: 0)

"Did you say that your brother and dad were both serving too? Wow, did everyone come home okay? That had to be very hard on your mom."  

Yes, quite true.  Fact is my dad (not reg. army and couldnt enlist again finally "volunteered for the draft" and was excepted at age 46.)  The same time he was comming home on a hospital ship after being badly wounded in France I was heading over to the ETO.  Took me about 10 weeks to find out his condition.  Made me kinda unhappy with the Krauts to say the least.. And yes, my brother was a  gunner in the Air Force, while I was just a dogface.

Kinda hard on Mom during this time, also shortened her life as she died about 2 years after the war.   My dad survived after a stay in the hospital, and all three of us came home thank God.   This was quite a reunion.  Damn it, you got me thinking of things that happened and will continue as memory serves and time allows.  You really have me thinking back a ways.  And yes, my dad was a ww 1 wounded vet in France also.  He was born Apr. '1898.   Also had one cousin (Ray Kelly) who was a surviving member of the USS Arizona at Pearl Harbor.  He was also transferred to the Yorktown which was bad news.  But he survived the war also.   All of this is actual facts and can be verified.

That is simply amazing and the first story I have heard that had a father and both sons in the war. Thank God he was with you and brought all of you home safely.

I am so very sorry to hear that your mother did not fair well. That must have been very hard on the three of you. After all she was very young at the time. My condolences to you.

You mentioned that your dad had a long stay in the hospital. How extensive were his wounds and how did he mend? How and where did he receive his injuries?

Oh my God, the Arizona then the Yorktown. I don't have to ask what happened there! :unsure: Happy to hear your cousin got out of that one alive. Man talk about the toughest of assignments. Makes my head spin... :wacko:

That is one fantastic story. Hey, looks like I got you started here and I think this is perfect for a stories page. What do you say everyone? Don't you think this info should be on his very own page? What do say you my dear? This sounds like just a beginning. I hope you say yes!

Marion J Chard

Marion: Thank you for your kind offer, however I am not that great a writer and too

much is locked in my "selective memory" about the fighting we encountered. Mostly I

try to bring back the unusual and humorous parts and things like food, conditions, equiptment, weapons and the likes so I probably would be boring everyone. If wished I

will post pics of ww2 both from mine and 2 friend of nine who was also in the 7th Reg..

Hopefully I can con my friend Russ Cloer (Platoon Ldr. of the 7th Reg. I&R platoon to

join in if you can stand another dogface here. Now he is a writer of his experiences.

He goes as recon 3-7-I when he writes. By the way. Did you read the article about

the capture of Berchtersgaden in May's WW 2 History'a magazine. It really brought in

the truth for the first time. Not the fiction that has been told and shown. Both myself and Russ were part of that capture. By the way, my dad was in Intel , part of O.S.S.

I believe and was on a mission in a small plane which was shot down by A.A. and badly

wounded. As he spoke fluent French he was aided in keeping free and shortly got back to friendly territory, hospitilized and shipped home to a Mil. hospital here for 2 months,

returned to duty till discharged at wars end. Then, back to his old civilian job. Same

for myself and my brother once getting out.

Cadet A-2: In ETO it was 85 points as I thought it was world wide but not sure about the world wide bit though. Actually, we never thought the "point system" was quite

fair for a dogface that was in combat. But thats just a opinion.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  March of Life - desecendants of SS tour death camps Walt's Daughter 7 6,893 12-20-2012, 10:45 PM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  Ex-Nazi Officer Gets Life for WWII Massacre CaptO 3 4,257 09-17-2009, 04:24 PM
Last Post: roque_riojas
  Anzio photos Life magazine arve 0 2,358 06-04-2009, 12:20 PM
Last Post: arve
  A Young Life Wasted curtdol 2 4,423 08-24-2005, 11:37 AM
Last Post: Stevin