My family members serving in WWII

This morning while working on my family history search, i made a list of all my family members that served in WWII. My Dad, his brothers, brother-in-law, my mom`s brothers, and my wife Sandy`s dad. In addition some of the wives & sisters served in the WAACs & WAVEs.

Here`s the list of the ones i know about so far. Lots more resaerch to do. :puter:

STANLEY EDWARD DUZAL JR. US ARMY

Drafted: Nov 9 1942 age 20

1943: Prvt. R.R. ECH. Co. A 794th Military Police Bn. North Africa

1944: Prvt. POW Det. 4086-G Italy

1944/45: PFC. 706 MP PW Det.-G Southern France

Battles/Campaigns: Naples- Foggia, Rome-Arno, Southern France

In Action: Invasion of Southern France

JOHN JOSEPH DUZAL US ARMY

Drafted: March 26 1942 age 35

Mechanic,Tech-5, Service Battery 304th Field Artillery Bn. 77th Infantry Division

Battles/Campaigns: Eastern Mandates, Southern Phillipines, Ryukyus

In Action against the enemy on Guam, Leyte, Kerama Rhetto, IE Shima, Okinowa

FRANK JOSEPH DUZAL US ARMY

Drafted: March 26 1942 age 29

Coast Artillery- unit unknown,

Last Duty: 6677th Disbursing Training Co.

Battles/Campaigns: Naples- Foggia, Rome-Arno, Northern Appenines

IRVING EDWARD DINGEE

US Navy, Machinist Mate MM2

ALTON SPENCER

US Navy: Seabees

Served in the Pacific

CHESTER MAKSEYN US ARMY Air Force

Entered Service: Aug 5 1942

T/Sgt engineer/ top turret gunner on B-17s of the 615th Bomb Squadron, 401st Bomb Group (H), 8th Air Force flying out of Deenethorpe, England.

Chet was awarded a third Oak Leaf Cluster to his Air Medal for meitorious Achievement, a Bronze Service Star Germany and Purple Heart.

He was a member of the crew of pilot 1st Lt J.D. Gerber, the crew`s nickname was "Grumblin' Gremlins"

DAVID WAKEFIELD US Navy

Machinist Mate MM3

Destroyer, USS BARTON DD 722

Between 3 and 26 June she carried out screening, patrol, and bombardment duties in support of the invasion of Normandy. On 4 June she rescued 31 American soldiers from the sinking LCT-2498. During a brisk engagement with German batteries at Cherbourg, 25 June, Barton was slightly damaged by 240mm dud while delivering effective gunfire support.

Returning to the United States 10 July 1944, Barton soon departed Norfolk for the Pacific, arriving at Pearl Harbor 2 October. She then steamed westward to take part in the capture of Leyte, including the Ormoc landings (9 November-8 December 1844), Mindoro landings (12-18 December), Lingayen Gulf landings (4-21 January 1945); Iwo Jima invasion, including the 5th Fleet's supporting raids on Honshu and the Nansei Shoto (10-19 February, 25 February-1 March); Okinawa invasion (21 March-30 June), and the 3rd Fleet raids on Japan (10-24 July). Severe damage in collision with USS INGRAHAM DD-694

Great research there buddy. I wish I knew more about others who served in my mom and dad's families. Keep us posted on anything else you find.
Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

I had just recently received John`s ( dads brother) 201 file from St Louis, never knew his unit or where he fought. According to his files & accounts of the battle, his 304th FA Bn was the only FA landed on IE Shima with the assault forces. According to the dates he was on the island when Ernie Pyle was killed.
post-304-1209770750_thumb.jpg

Attached Files
.jpg   DadWWIIAsiaticPacificCampaign011.jpg (Size: 143.01 KB / Downloads: 0)

Out of a family of 4 my brother served as a Air Corps gunner in B-25's. I served as a Rifleman in the 3rd Inf Div. My Dad served in Intel. and was badly wounded in France. Not mentioning many unkles and cousins that served i n WW 2. One cousin was on the Arizona when sunk plus the Yorktown. Also some of our Canadian relatives served in the Canadian Army. Was a great reunion after the war.

Great research Larry! :armata_PDT_37: I'm ashamed to say that I don't know as much about my relatives in the service. Here's as much as I know:

Uncles in WWII: Joe Howard US Army SGT was in England, Austria, Germany

Francis Cole was a link trainer instructor for pilots at Chanute Field.

John Harrington Sgt 82nd Airborne Glider Infantry (got frostbitten feet

at the Bulge).

Jim Lynch US Army Sgt career stationed in post war Germany

cousins: Paul Coughlin US Army Korea (got so sick with pneumonia in both lungs while over there - he ATE vicks vapo-rub out of a jar. When he got home, he spent many months in the hospital).

His brother Stephen Coughlin - also Korean War vet, US Army.

John Howard - US Marine at Iwo Jima

Paul Howard - US Army Korea

My cousin Paddy thinks that we have 2 Irish Howard relatives killed in WWI:

Pvt John Howard 1st BN, Royal Munster Fusiliers who died at Gallipoli and

Cpl Thomas Howard 2nd BN, Royal Munster Fusiliers - who died of his wounds at

Flanders.

Found some info on another family member, mom`s brother.

Junior L. Ely U.S. Army

Enlisted: 21 Dec 1940

Branch: Field Artillery

Sergeant, 1st Infantry Division 1940 - 1945

served in Tunisia, Sicily, France & Germany

and my wife Sandi`s uncle

Forrest Boyd U.S Navy

About a year ago somebody ask me for a picture of my Uncle, Sgt. Verian "Rusty"Wells who served with the 691rst Tank Destroyer Battalion. Here he is (center, wearing Tanker helmet) with the rest of his crew, somewhere in France. Uncle Rusty survived the war and came back here to Washington, where he farmed and also lived to enjoy many children and many, many grandchildren. He was a very humble man and loved by all.

post-150-1211575437_thumb.jpg

Attached Files
.jpg   IMG.jpg (Size: 1.98 MB / Downloads: 0)

I just got the info on my uncle Chester Makseyn. Chet was an T/Sgt engineer/ top turret gunner on B-17s of the 615th Bomb Squadron, 401st Bomb Group (H), 8th Air Force flying out of Deenethorpe, England.

Chet was awarded a third Oak Leaf Cluster to his Air Medal for meitorious Achievement, a Bronze Service Star Germany and Purple Heart. Honorable discharged as Techinal Sergeant 132nd AAF Base Unit Army of the United States Nov., 11, 1945

He was a member of the crew of pilot 1st Lt J.D. Gerber, the crew`s nickname was "Grumblin' Gremlins"

401st Bomb Group (H) -- Combat Air Crew Data

Chet is pictured, back row, second from left.post-304-1218929082_thumb.jpg

Attached Files
.jpg   Crew_Gerber.jpg (Size: 59.88 KB / Downloads: 0)

What an incredible experience it would be to be part of an aircrew such as theirs. It's hard to imagine, the thrill, the horrors, the fright, the adrenalin, and all the other emotions they experienced.

Here's to the Grumblin' Gremlins! :drinkin: And B-17's!

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

About the only thing I can contribute to this is my son Roque Jr.--Vietnam,

brother Henry WW11,battle of the Bulge, Brother Joshua, Korea, Grandson

Desert Storm, My Dad, beinga Mexican Natl. in the 1890s' to 1910 wasa

Capt. in the Mexican Army during the Mexican revolution of that era. OH---

--I forgot me.-- I did something some time ago. But I do remember some

officer I respect, who called me an "OLE DOGGIE" !!!!! Thanks Captn.

Roque,(Rocky) Riojas Sr.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Family members return to Malmedy Walt's Daughter 1 2,571 06-16-2010, 03:40 PM
Last Post: Frank Gubbels
  Where were you or your family? - Pearl Harbor civilwargal 12 10,748 07-01-2009, 01:29 PM
Last Post: civilwargal
  For our Dutch speaking members Frank Gubbels 0 2,232 03-16-2009, 09:58 AM
Last Post: Frank Gubbels
  Out of the Attic - Family Memoirs Walt's Daughter 4 4,941 11-19-2007, 07:55 AM
Last Post: Jeeper704
  Serving in Both Theatres in WWII afc7883 6 5,823 08-11-2006, 09:54 PM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  The Leitz family Walt's Daughter 7 7,240 03-24-2006, 10:59 AM
Last Post: Custermen