A Tommy Dorsey Weekend for Lee and I

This is SOOO cool! I just got a newsletter from the Lexington Theatre, here in Michigan. Lee and I went to see our friend's band there last fall. Great little venue in a very old building which has been restored. Small and intimate with great atmosphere. Anyway, on their 2008 list was this entry:

May

The Tommy Dorsey Orchestra

Sentimental Gentlemen of Swing

http://www.buddymorrowproductions.com/

Saturday, May 3 @ 6:00pm & 8:30pm

In Big Band history, the Tommy Dorsey Orchestra is recognized as one of the best all-around dance bands. It could swing with the best of them, and no other band could come close to Tommy's when it came to playing ballads. Tommy Dorsey, "The Sentimental Gentleman of Swing", was a master at creating warm, sentimental, and always musical moods - at superb dancing and listening tempos. Tommy sustained these moods through the arrangements of the likes of Paul Weston, Axel Stordahl and Sy Oliver, and he showcased singers who could project them brilliantly.

I thought, wow, wouldn't this be a fun weekend trip? Well that's all the convincing I needed, and went to the site and ordered two cabaret tickets for the evening. I contacted my Lee's brother and our sister-in-law, and they are purchasing two tickets this afternoon too. It will be something different to do. We are also booking a nearby (within walking distance) Bed and Breakfast.

Lexington is about two hours from our house and a nice back-road country trip. Here's the link to their site, so you can see how quaint it and the town are.

http://www.lexmtc.com/

We are going to spring it on Lee in a few weeks, when Anne and Mark come over for dinner. :armata_PDT_01:

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Sounds like a blast M1! Wish we could all be there - the M1 Peep Brigade!

You'd likely have to disassociate yourself from us though - too rowdy! :drinkin:

My Dad's major "passion" was music. I have his entire collection of 78s from the 30's and 40's and also all the reel to reel tapes he made. He'd "announce" the musical selections: "And now here's a great number by the Glenn Miller Orchestra" (I really should take them somewhere and have them made into a CD).

I only have to hear the first few bars of most of those songs to identify them. It's no wonder, when you consider that I started hearing that music on a daily basis, beginning when I was

lying in my bassinet. I must've inherited Dad's music mania because I've seen almost every great performer of "our generation", starting with the Beatles when I was 11.

Dad loved the Dorseys, but his special favorite was Jimmy with Bob Eberly and (drum roll!)

Helen O'Connell. He'd "serenade" me with some of his favorite musical selections - especially "Amapola" (does anyone remember that popular song from 1941?), "Green Eyes",

and Harry James' "Sleepy Lagoon":

A sleepy lagoon, a tropical moon and two on an island

A sleepy lagoon and two hearts in tune in some lullabyland

The fireflies' gleam reflects in the stream

They sparkle and shimmer

A star from on high falls out of the sky

And slowly grows dimmer

The leaves from thetrees all dance in the breeze

And float on the ripples

We're deep in a spell as nightingales tell

of roses and dew

The memory of this moment of love

Will haunt me forever

A tropical moon, a sleepy lagoon, and you.

I'd roll my eyes & groan: "Oh DAD! Not 'Sleepy Lagoon" AGAIN!" :rolleyes:

m2

Tommy Dorsey was the best because he played Trombone!!

250px-Tommy_dorsey_playing_trombone.jpg

(I played from 5th grade through 2 1/2 years of college.)

Maj Todd O. USMC, Retired
Grandson of LTC John O'Brien

ohhh I am jealous!!! Every so often one of the Yale University bands recreates a broadcast that Glen Miller and his Army Air Force Technical Training Command Band performed from Woolsey Hall at Yale when the band was billeted there during WWII, I went to one that they did a couple of years ago on Veterans Day. During the program they introduced the woman who acted as his secretary during the war and one of the members of the original band came onstage and sat in with his trumpet. It was a wonderful show. During "Moonlight Seranade" several older couples got up and were dancing along the walls of the theater. Quite a night.

CaptO. The worst thing about playing the trombone (besides lugging it on the bus on cold mornings) was the spit valve. I only played two years.

What does a trombonist say when he knocks on your door?

Dominoes!

What is the definition of dissonance?

Two trombonists playing unison.

A trombonist and a snake lay dead in the middle of the road. What is the difference between the two?

The snake was on the way to a gig!

How can you tell that a kid at a playground is the son of a trombonist?

He can't swing and he complains about the slide.

How do you know when a trombone player is at your door?

The doorbell drags.

How many trombonists does it take to change a light bulb?

Just one, but he'll do it too loudly.

idle52.jpg

Maj Todd O. USMC, Retired
Grandson of LTC John O'Brien

You forgot my favoriteL

Whats the difference between a trombonist and a large pizza?

The pizza can feed a family of four......

My cousin's husband has it the worst: He is a tuba player and lugs it from CT to NY everyday....

I had to look up Lexington Michigan. Sounds like a nice little trip from Alger Country. They have some good shows for a little town

Chris

Yes it is a nice little town and right on the lake. Great old buildings with lots of ambience. Can't wait to try some of the antique shops, bars and restaurants. We like taking long weekends. You don't have to go far, but you still get away and get to experience something new. Plus we get along fabulously with Mark and Anne, so it rounds it all out. :drinkin:
Marion J Chard

Just got this from JH. Anyone wanna go dancing? Drinks are on me! :drinkin:

post-2-1203811799_thumb.jpg

post-2-1203811808_thumb.jpg

post-2-1203811815_thumb.jpg

Attached Files
.jpg   pamphletcover.jpg (Size: 125.54 KB / Downloads: 0)
.jpg   pamphlet_picture3.jpg (Size: 81.3 KB / Downloads: 0)
.jpg   pamphlet_writing3.jpg (Size: 88.5 KB / Downloads: 0)
Marion J Chard
Well the weekend is finally upon us. Very excited about concert and the B&B!
Marion J Chard