WWII Magazine March 2008 Issue

I know this topic has been kicked around many times before, so just bear with me. In the latest issue of WWII there is a short article about Japanese atrocities. I normally think of the horrible treatment Allied soldiers received in the Prison Camps, or The Bataan Death March when this subject is mentioned but it goes much deeper then that. Today I read that the Japanese Navy was responsible for at least 20,000 Allied POW deaths too, and this order came from higher ups in the IJN, who ordered that not only were vessals to be sunk but the men aboard them were to be killed too. The usual manner of this inhuman treatment took the form of prisoners being tortured before they were beheaded and thrown over the side.. Reading this made me physically ill, and I Thank God that my Dad, who was a Sailor in WWII came home safe and sound. This went largely unpunished after the war ended, even though there were more Japanese tried for war crimes than Germans. Can anyone please explain to me the "Honor" in this...? How does a man commit such criminal acts and then come home and raise children? :cuss:

Dogdaddy

Ah, heavy-duty subject matter.

I know how you feel and sometimes when watching movies or reading books about the atrocities (Jews, POW's, etc.), it is oft too hard to grasp, and too much too swallow. And no, I do not have an easy answer for you. It's just one of the things when you read about which makes you want to disassociate from the human race. It breaks your heart and wrenches at your soul. It has been with us forever and certainly wasn't limited to WWII. A sad reflection on human kind... :o

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

You should read some accounts of what those Japs did in China ....... and even today they refuse to admit what they did there (gassing people, chemical tests, brutal murders, rape, etc you name it, they did it!). :armata_PDT_19:

Believe you me, I felt sick in my stomach when I saw a recent documentary on those "honorable" Japanese troops in China.

This started in the 30s and went on throughout WWII.

In my eyes, they were even worse than the nazis.

It is shocking to see that the Japanese government tries hard to cover up what creulty they brought upon the Chinese.

Erwin

It is shocking to see that the Japanese government tries hard to cover up what creulty they brought upon the Chinese.

That is what I think is the most confounding about this whole episode. Not only has Germany gone to great lengths to apologize for what they did, but NAZI related things of all sorts are banned in the country. Prefect? No, but getting there. Japan, on the other hand, has completely chosen to ignore and deny by omission its sordid history. I would love to see what the average Japanese high school graduate knows about their actions during WWII.

I have been reading a text for my Pacific War class that details what led to the war with Japan and it basically comes down to a conflict of economic interests. Whereas the US, British, and other European powers attempted to gain a foothold in the Chinese markets, the Japanese began to insert troops to "secure" their interests. The presence grew and grew until there was full scale war (although it was still called an incident.) The rest, of course, is brutal history.

Maj Todd O. USMC, Retired
Grandson of LTC John O'Brien

I knew a woman ( a dear friend of my Aunt's) whose husband was a POW in a Japanese prison camp. Needless to say, she despised the Japanese & would not buy products manufactured in Japan.

Today we are taught to embrace "multiculturalism" without any judgement. I think that's

so dangerous. The Japanese "culture" created beautiful poetry & works of art, but of

what value was that without a moral compass??

It's not politically correct to say that - even with it's faults - civilization based on Judeo-Christian principles/values is a better system. It IS better, but how long before we aren't even allowed to think it, never mind say it. What consequences are going to come from educators who continually devalue Western Civiization and elevate debased "lifestyles"

as role models. Brittany Speers anyone?

There was recently an article in my local paper, singing the praises of "Hip Hop Day"

for the town's 3rd graders. They brought in a Hip Hop group to illustrate the origins of HipHop in Africa. PULEEASE! With so many edifying things to choose to teach - this is indicative of what kids are being "taught" (indoctrinated is more like it). The article lavished giddy praise, but is music that 's largely vulgar, demeans woman, celebrates violence and disregard for law - is that what 3rd graders should be told to view as worthy of

emulation?

If everything of grace, dignity, honor, and high principle is removed from our way of life

& people are no longer able to discern what is real, what is praiseworthy, what has TRUE

value - I wonder what OUR culture will become.

There's a quote by Doug Patton "Great danger lies in the notion that we can reason with evil".

Is there any doubt that German & Japanese "Cultures" of the 30s and 40s were evil? Does anyone doubt that radical Islam is evil? What will WE become if we throw out all that has made us a great & good?

m2

First of all.. Well said m2! These thoughts whirl through my mind on a daily basis but it is rare to hear another person speak to these principles so eloquently!

Dogdaddy :woof:

PS- I just edited out a long and rambling dissertation, opting to leave well enough alone. I agree 100% with the above posts of other members! :clappin2:

I just completed a book titled, The Nakend Island, by Russell Braddon. It was about POW's in Singapore held by the as he called them "Nippon". It was horrific to say the least.

... I wonder where my WWII magazine is, hasn't came in yet.

I don't think my magazine has arrived yet either. Hmmm, let me go check...
Marion J Chard

Here is a poster about "Japanese atrocities in WWII" as seen through the eyes of the Japanese minister of propaganda. If I have already posted this please forgive me. It is such utter BS that it's worth a second look!

post-150-1243132760_thumb.jpg

Attached Files
.jpg   1125_1.jpg (Size: 200.48 KB / Downloads: 0)
That's a good one indeed! I hadn't seen that one before. Where did you find that?
Marion J Chard

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Old Magazine Articles - WWII Walt's Daughter 0 3,680 06-09-2009, 07:56 AM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  TIME MAGAZINE SEPTEMBER 1942 afc7883 2 4,246 06-06-2009, 06:37 PM
Last Post: Jeeper704
  Time Magazine D-day anniversary civilwargal 4 6,473 06-02-2009, 05:30 PM
Last Post: Dogdaddy