1st Special Service Force

If you've never heard of these folks read this! These were some bad dudes! I first read about them in the January 2000 WWII magazine and stumbled across the article again on-line yesterday. It mentions that their combat debut was with the 36th ID so I immediately thought of you, Rocky. Do you or anyone else remember what you thought of them at the time? I'd be interested to hear what you thought.

In other news, I signed up for my next on-line class for my WWII masters program. It will be WWII in the Pacific and starts in February. So I might I might have some interesting history to add to the conversation as I do my reading. The book I'm reading right now, Ghosts of Iwo Jima, is great. More to come later. . .

If you've never heard of these folks read this! These were some bad dudes! I first read about them in the January 2000 WWII magazine and stumbled across the article again on-line yesterday. It mentions that their combat debut was with the 36th ID so I immediately thought of you, Rocky. Do you or anyone else remember what you thought of them at the time? I'd be interested to hear what you thought.

In other news, I signed up for my next on-line class for my WWII masters program. It will be WWII in the Pacific and starts in February. So I might I might have some interesting history to add to the conversation as I do my reading. The book I'm reading right now, Ghosts of Iwo Jima, is great. More to come later. . .

Capt.O--No I didn't hear that the 36th had any special forces. Only two things WE

heard was. That they made the initial landing at Salerno and the 151st. Field Artillery

from the 34th divn. was attached to them. and that you can find in the book I mentioned.

The other was when a Regt. of the 36th. crossed the Rapido River. The Krauts saw

them crossing from atop a mtn. When most of the Regt. crossed they opened fire.

Damn near took all the Regt. We later heard that an officer of the 36th went across

with a white flag and and a Kraut officer came down and made a truce so all wounded

and KIAS' could be taken care of. Kraut medics came down to help.

This is what we heard. We had our own troubles. Rocky

Great story. :armata_PDT_37: I was aware of the 1st Special Forces and have come across them many times while reading WWII articles, etc. and in my own personal research over the years.
Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

ROGER--ROGER----M-1 the rock

ROGER--ROGER----M-1 the rock

Rocky, did you ever come across a group of 'carpetbaggers' called 'POPSKIS PRIVATE ARMY'

during your Italian battles ?

Rocky, did you ever come across a group of 'carpetbaggers' called 'POPSKIS PRIVATE ARMY'

during your Italian battles ?

Sorry Moose; Not even when we HAD a chance to read the "Stars and Stripes",

POPSKIS--sounds like maybe the 10th Mountain Divn. They were on our

right flank in the mountains, All we knew was--Krauts up ahead.

By the way,-------- Sgtleo--What the hell is a carpetbagger !!! Roque(Rocky)

Sorry Moose; Not even when we HAD a chance to read the "Stars and Stripes",

POPSKIS--sounds like maybe the 10th Mountain Divn. They were on our

right flank in the mountains, All we knew was--Krauts up ahead.

By the way,-------- Sgtleo--What the hell is a carpetbagger !!! Roque(Rocky)

Rocky,

There's not an awful lot I know about these guys, but the CO Major Vladimir Peniakoff ( Popski ), noone could pronounce

his surname, hence ' Popskis Army', founded this special unit that drifted between the British and American command in Italy.

Dropped by RAF gliders into central Italy blowing up most things German then moving on into the mountains of Southern Italy.

Perhaps the lovely Marion :heartpump: could find one of her famous links about these guys. I was trying to be polite with the carpetbagger

tag because if there were no Germans to fight they would hurt each other !

WELL MOOSE-- I AM FINDING THINGS I DIDN'T KNOW, THINGS THAT HAPPENED ??

63-64 years ago. The34th was in the central of Italy along the North Appenines

and I sure didn't know anything about gliders there. Only thing I saw fly around

were Piper Cubs, Artillery spotters, directing artillery fire. Carpetbaggers,what did

they do, make bags out of carpets?????? :armata_PDT_23::armata_PDT_23:

Rocky

WELL MOOSE-- I AM FINDING THINGS I DIDN'T KNOW, THINGS THAT HAPPENED ??

63-64 years ago. The34th was in the central of Italy along the North Appenines

and I sure didn't know anything about gliders there. Only thing I saw fly around

were Piper Cubs, Artillery spotters, directing artillery fire. Carpetbaggers,what did

they do, make bags out of carpets?????? :armata_PDT_23::armata_PDT_23:

Rocky

Rocky, you have me by my 'plums', don't squeeze too hard. Where as the carpetbaggers took advantage of people after the US Civil War, Popskis guys just bumped them ( Germans ) off !!

Moose: I just reread your initial input. It didn't register that you said

British gliders. Hell, all that was in the British sectors so there would

be no way we would know. Plums !!! If I grabbed them with one hand

I would have a knife in the other. Have you ever tasted Mountain Oysters?

Ketchmelater. Your'e OK Rocky