Francis Stephens Update

I regret to announce the passing of Francis W. Stephens on March 7, 2005. Francis was raised on a farm where he grew to love his horses, and that love brought him to the Cavalry at Fort Riley, Kansas before joining the 36th Combat Engineers. He participated in the North Africa, Italy and European Campaigns and was known as "Old Combat" by his fellow soldiers.

Francis retired after 35 years with General Motors. He was a Master Gardener, a life long horse enthusiast and a 48 year member of American Legion Post 108. Francis was a fan of the VI Corps website and expressed his desire to share some of his lighthearted stories and had saved quite a few printouts of this site. Thanks to all for the cards and letters.

36th Engineers are truly RUGGED.

C.W. Stephens

Casper, Wyoming

Dear Chris & family:

I am so very sorry to hear the sad news. I was just thinking of your dad this morning and was going to sit and write to you today. Wow!

I know from experience that it is never easy losing a father. There is hardly a day that I don't think of mine and it's been over 30 years.

Please know that he is now in heaven with my dad and they are both looking down on us. I hope they are able to share some smiles and memories.

It is now up to us to carry on their wishes and to let everyone know about their lives. I will be happy to create a page for him. I just wish I could have done so while he was still alive.

I am glad that I could bring him some enjoyment through my site. That is comforting.

My best to your mother and the rest of your family. God bless all of you.

:( Marion

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Farewell Ed Stephens - 540th Combat Engineer Walt's Daughter 0 2,090 08-18-2010, 09:55 AM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  Francis Carroll, Co C - 48th Engineer Walt's Daughter 1 4,213 12-05-2005, 08:53 PM
Last Post: Reg from the Bulge