36th Engineer Combat Regiment

Hello everyone, :wave:

My father, David A. Lapp, was in the 36th Engineer Combat Regiment from its activation in June, 1941 until the end of the war. I've read all of the information about the regiment found here on the VI Corps site. Thank you Marion and veterans for providing it. I knew very little starting out since Dad didn't talk much about the war. Finally getting around to the forum, I enjoy all of your recollections sharing a sense of what it was really like.

In the book Fatal Decision: Anzio and the Battle for Rome, Carlo D'Este states: "Before the war ended the 36th Engineers had more combat time than any unit in the ETO except the 34th Infantry Division."—Page 489, Note #43. I was astonished to read that. What are your thoughts? Could it be true?

If anyone knows where to find additional information and stories about the 36th Engineers, please let me know. Thanks.

Peanuts,

Another Proud Daughter

Hey Sandra! So nice to hear from you.

In the book Fatal Decision: Anzio and the Battle for Rome, Carlo D'Este states: "Before the war ended the 36th Engineers had more combat time than any unit in the ETO except the 34th Infantry Division."—Page 489, Note #43. I was astonished to read that. What are your thoughts? Could it be true?

Captain John Fallon has told me this on several occasions. It makes it easier to fathom when you think that they were in the war right from the beginning (Med/European Theatre) and landed in North Africa in November 1942.

As far as more stories, I am sitting on a ton of them. I just don't have the time to compile and share them with everyone on the web. I am focusing my attention on the documentary right now, so probably won't be publishing a lot to the web during the next year. Unfortunately I only have so much time...

So you'll have to stay tuned for the documentary and then later the accompanying book. :drinkin:

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Hi Marion!

In correspondence from Captain Fallon he did say "Our own regiment spent more than 50% of our time in WWII fighting as infantry and you rarely see mention of this even in the official histories." I don't know how many replacements there were, but the 36th Engineers that were in the entire war should be entitled to the CIB based on their combat time. I came across the thread with some controversy over that and don't intend to offend anyone.

I've been doing a write-up just for family to better understand Dad's role in the war. It's six pages and the best I can do with info at-hand. Wow, do I envy you sitting on all those stories and information. Did you find lots more in the national archives? The Adjutants History linked on John Fallon's page is very good for a timeline of activities, however colorless and incomplete. I really like Carlo D'Estes' compassionate style of writing—got me crying several times.

Can't wait for the documentary and book. I know your work will be excellent. The book will be well worth the wait if it contains the rich detail that I'm craving. Do you know where I can find data on the 36th Engineers KIA, WIA, MIA and total number of bridges built during the war?

Peanuts,

36th Engineer Daughter

If you would like a sneak-peak of the documentary, just drop me a line and I will send you the private link. I don't want to post it out in the open because it is incomplete, etc.

It is 16 minutes long right now and will be several hours in length when complete.

I will try and make more records public over the next year, but have to focus my attention on the documentary. As you can imagine, "the boys" are getting antsy to see it, as the timeline draws ever nearer. I sent it to about 30 vets this Christmas and they are very, very pleased so far.

As my husband joked this evening, "Maybe you should temporarily change the name to 'No Bridge So Far' until it's completed!" I thought that was hysterical. I like that!!!

:clappin:

Make sure you look at the photos page on the main site. Many wonderful docs including bridges!

Marion J Chard

M: Thanks for offering the link. I have it from your email but use an old Mac with compatibility problems viewing it. I understand having a priority for the vets, as it should be. Your husband is funny! Good thing he makes you laugh through a BIG project. If you ever have the data handy that I'm looking for I sure would appreciate a post or PM. Want to be sure information I'm sending family is factual vs. rough figures calculated from the Adjutants History.

Peanuts

36th Engineer Daughter

Hey Peanuts! Send me your address and I will mail you a copy this week!!! I'll be sure to share anything with you as things progress.

Sorry about the Mac problem. Right now the particular media isn't compatible, but I hope to rectify that in the near future.

Smiles,

M

Marion J Chard

Hello everyone, :wave:

My father, David A. Lapp, was in the 36th Engineer Combat Regiment from its activation in June, 1941 until the end of the war. I've read all of the information about the regiment found here on the VI Corps site. Thank you Marion and veterans for providing it. I knew very little starting out since Dad didn't talk much about the war. Finally getting around to the forum, I enjoy all of your recollections sharing a sense of what it was really like.

If anyone knows where to find additional information and stories about the 36th Engineers, please let me know. Thanks.

Peanuts,

Another Proud Daughter

_Peanuts; Thats' what I call my granddaughter, she's about 4'5'' about 80lbs. and goes

to the Univ. of So.Cal. Anyway to your above--page 489 #43. The 34th Inf. (RED BULL) Divn. had over 600 days of combat, North Africa and Italy. And was the first Divn in the

E.T.O. I was with the 135th Inf. Regt. MY HATS'(Helmet) is off in salute to the engineers

for they also deserve the C.I.B. Marion is A #1 on info of the engineers. Rocky

Hi Rocky: Yeah, the 36th Engineers were at times attached to RED BULL, so I looked into their history too and read and bookmarked your VI Corps webpage as well. Handsome! My Dad nicknamed me Peanuts. Maybe because I was the runt of the litter—about 5'-8" now and still skinny. Anyway, I like your posts and stories. You guys went through hell so we could remain Americans. :heartpump: Yup, Marion is awesome.

Peanuts,

36th Engineer Daughter

hi Peanut,

my grandfather served with the 36th combat engineers. S. Sgt John J. Walkonis, Co. "c" 1st batallion. I too am trying to find as much information as i can to bring more of him to light for my family to aknowlege. I have been around the forum in various discussions asking for information. I have sent for his service records. is there any more recources that I can use to find out more about him?

thank you for your time,

-Frank

Grandson of an engineer.

Welcome to the Forum , Frank. You will find plenty of info here and plenty of good people to help you out. Looking forward to those pictures.

good luck

Chris

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The 187th Engineer Combat Bn PDP2020 0 2,311 12-05-2022, 04:48 PM
Last Post: PDP2020
  245th Engineer Combat Battalion, U.S. Third Army 1874thhistorian 5 13,309 08-21-2019, 01:01 AM
Last Post: mikel
  174th Engineer Combat Battalion Wendy 4 11,976 04-22-2019, 08:41 PM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  343rd Engineer General Service Regiment hwhiting 51 57,540 03-22-2019, 11:19 AM
Last Post: CaptO
  291st Engineer Combat Battalion Roster EngineerReenactor 9 19,980 02-01-2019, 02:42 PM
Last Post: mikel
  169th Engineer Combat Battalion angatti 15 20,740 10-07-2018, 11:41 AM
Last Post: angatti
  Jack Frank 1142nd Combat Engineer Group Frank Gubbels 4 5,823 05-27-2018, 03:11 AM
Last Post: Frank Gubbels
  41st Engineer Regiment. colinhotham 17 20,607 05-08-2018, 12:48 AM
Last Post: Richard
  1111th Engineer Combat Group Walt's Daughter 4 9,297 04-16-2018, 09:19 AM
  359th General Service Regiment Walt's Daughter 12 24,347 03-10-2018, 09:50 AM