Harry Church

Group: New member here (George Church),

Looking for ANY information or any member who might know anything about PFC Harry Church: my father.

Dad entered the Army on 4 August 1943 was discharged on 7 January 1946. There are family rumors of his actions on D-Day at Normandy. His service papers do not show much other than stating that dad served in Normandy and Central Europe---I believe he was also at St. Lo, France during the fighting there. The Veterans Administration provided that information but there was not much in the packet I received: medical records, some training forms and decorations plus some mustering-out payroll papers.

It is believed that dad had something to do with the 720th Railway Battalion and the 3660th sometime after the D-Day invasion. It appears that dad was lost or detached from his unit. Again, I have nothing but rumors to go on. When dad was alive (he passed away in 1995) he did not speak much about his military service. I have some pictures and letters with names of his service buddies but that too has led to nothing. Most are now gone and the addresses or telephone numbers are long lost.

Anyone---PLEASE, help me if you can. I am just trying to understand who my father was and his small contribution during desperate times.

I, George Church, am a veteran of the armed forces and served in Vietnam: that too was a long time ago.

Please contact me through this forum or telephone me at:

1-740-824-3779.

thank you,

geo

Welcome George:

Thanks for joining. I hope we will be able you obtain more information on your father. It can be a very frustrating pursuit; just ask me!

There are several avenues you can try, so please see our Research section for contacts. They include the National Archives in Maryland (reports on the unit themselves), WWII Connections (a private research company), to name a few.

You may also want to contact the local library and newspapers of your dad's hometown. The papers carried small articles about their hometown boys, and many people are pleasantly surprised when they contact these agencies.

Good luck and Merry Christmas to you and your family.

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Marion & Group,

First let me say thank you for allowing me to tag along in pursuit of information concerning family & friends who have engaged in keeping our FREEDOMS intact.

Chasing Dad's service life has been a blessing and a curse. I have really enjoyed the few scraps of information that I have found. It sheds a little light on the man I never knew (dad did not talk much about his service in the Army): I am sure it was a difficult time for him. The curse is I never really know what is comming or what I might truly discover. The stories and tales of my father seem to slip further and further away each year. His service time is lost and only he and those who were with him truly know the story there. What a shame.

This journey started for me after dads death in 1995. I was looking at an old photo album of dad and his service buddies and it started me to wonder: who were these young men and what has happened to them. I started to ask questions of family members and anyone who might have chatted with dad about those times. Mostly "tall tales" and not much to follow-up on. I did contact the VA and received some small packet of paperwork containing discharge papers, medical records, decorations and what looks like training documents. Not much to go on!

It is believed that dad was there on D-Day--I do not know what wave or unit he was serving with. This was from family members who had heard dad talk about it long before I was ever born ( I'm 56). He was rumored to have been at St Lo, France during the fighting there---but I do not have factual information on that or anything really. Hence, My search.

What really got me to digging was my children asking me about my service time. My girls are in theirs 20's and old enough to ask hard and demnading questions. I have tried to answer them the best I can. I wish I had pressed dad as hard.

My search continues.

Thank you,

geo

Welcome George:

Thanks for joining. I hope we will be able you obtain more information on your father. It can be a very frustrating pursuit; just ask me!

There are several avenues you can try, so please see our Research section for contacts. They include the National Archives in Maryland (reports on the unit themselves), WWII Connections (a private research company), to name a few.

You may also want to contact the local library and newspapers of your dad's hometown. The papers carried small articles about their hometown boys, and many people are pleasantly surprised when they contact these agencies.

Good luck and Merry Christmas to you and your family.

Hi George,

Welcome aboard. Your search sounds a lot like mine: a lot of rumors and things that people remembered...sort of. (The only true thing I found was one of my uncles remembered that my father was at the Bulge, everything else might have been a compilation of every other veteran they knew) My big breakthrough was by posting on a couple of WWII websites. Some kind person took pity on me and sent me a long paragraph on my dads unit.

I'm not sure if the person they referred to on this site was you, but here is something on the unit you mentioned:

www.debarquement-normandie.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=156127&sid=e98dd62554ca90fefa9a1a45699ec8e6 - 65k

the website is in french but it will translate it to english for you.

My breakthrough in speaking to a member of my dads unit was I found a monument with his unit on it related to the Battle of the Bulge, I emailed the webmaster, that sent a letter to the Battle of the Bulge association president who looked at the rolls of his members and found a member of the 1251st....

Good luck!!!

CWGal,

Thank you for your reply. I have looked at the web page you sent me but I cannot get it to translate to English ( HELP)!

Yes, yes, yes: mostly long tall tales of what some family member thought my fathers experiences were. However, I did have a couple of family members whom I know were also WWII vets and I know that dad had chatted with them (one brother & cousin)---I feel confident that what they told me was true and without change. That is how I know that dad went onto the beach on 6 June 44---without a doubt. Now these fine gentlemen are also gone. I do wish I had pressed them for more answers to my questions.

It seems that this chase is going on and on: I know you feel the same. Sometimes I just feel like laying it all to rest and forgetting about it all. Then a few days or weeks and sometimes even months will pass and I start looking again. I have a picture of dad in uniform that sits on a dresser and I look at it almost everyday: that helps, because he is not to far from my view. It pressures me to continue the search. I know that one of my e-mails or contacts will eventually lead to finding a little more information.

Sorry, I am not the guy who sent you to the French web page: I wish I was but I am not. I am having trouble converting it to English--any ideas or have I not looked hard enough?

Anyway, thank you for that link-up.

I await your reply,

geo

Hi George,

Welcome aboard. Your search sounds a lot like mine: a lot of rumors and things that people remembered...sort of. (The only true thing I found was one of my uncles remembered that my father was at the Bulge, everything else might have been a compilation of every other veteran they knew) My big breakthrough was by posting on a couple of WWII websites. Some kind person took pity on me and sent me a long paragraph on my dads unit.

I'm not sure if the person they referred to on this site was you, but here is something on the unit you mentioned:

www.debarquement-normandie.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=156127&sid=e98dd62554ca90fefa9a1a45699ec8e6 - 65k

the website is in french but it will translate it to english for you.

My breakthrough in speaking to a member of my dads unit was I found a monument with his unit on it related to the Battle of the Bulge, I emailed the webmaster, that sent a letter to the Battle of the Bulge association president who looked at the rolls of his members and found a member of the 1251st....

Good luck!!!

This is from the website that I found. It took me a while to figure out how I got there. I googled normandy 720th railway battallion. It was down a couple on the list and there was a notation of " translate this page" There were pictures of some of the railcars and stations on there too. Here is the basic scoop:

The 720th Railway Operating Battalion of the Transportation Corps, is in the reserve organized in 1923 as the 507th Engineer Battalion (Railway), and then renamed 507th Engineer Battalion (Railway Operating), in June 1933, then 720th Engineer Battalion, in February 1941 and lastly as 720th Railway Operating Battalion, Transportation Corps in December. 1942. 1942.

En août 43- devient une unité d'active, avec activation au Camp Harahan, New Orleans, Louisiane; pour l'entraînement de base. In August 43-becomes an active unit, with activation at Camp Harahan, New Orleans, Louisiana; for the trainer.

Nov. Nov. 43 Camp Cushing, Ft. 43 Camp Cushing, Ft Sam Houston, Texas, pour l'entrainement dit technique. Sam Houston, Texas, said the drive technology.

Janvier 44 quitte le Texas; rejoint Boston, le 19 janv. January 44 leaves Texas; joined Boston, 19 Jan quitte boston pour l'outremer. Boston left for overseas.

29 janvier arrive à Liverpool Jan. 29 arrives in Liverpool

Février au Camp Seamills, prés de Bristol; déployé en détachements depuis l'Est, l'Ouest, le Sud pour les opérations de transfert; maintenance des machines et des voies; mise sur les rails des wagons dans les dépôts en Angleterre, Ecosse et pays de galles, assure le maintient du réseau de chemin de fer en vue du D-day pour ses tronçons de voies. In February at Camp Seamills, near Bristol; detachments deployed in from the East, West, South for transfer operations; maintenance of machines and pathways; placed on the rails of cars in deposits in England, Scotland and south wales, ensures maintaining the rail network for the D-day for the sections of track. Le HQ à Sudbury dans le Staffordshire. The Sudbury HQ in Staffordshire.

Avril toutes les unités et détachements réunis à Kirkham, Lancashire; pour des stages en démolition, machine gun & camouflage. April all units and detachments meeting in Kirkham, Lancashire; internships for demolition, machine gun and camouflage.

Se déploie en sous la forme de 23 détachements, avec des missions ferroviaires; travail sur des navires (transbordements). Se unfolds in the form of 23 detachments, with rail missions; work on vessels (transshipment). Hq à Newbury dans le Berkshire. Hq in Newbury in Berkshire.

12 juillet mise en alerte se prépare pour l'embarquement pour la France. July 12 formal warning is preparing to embark for France.

Le 15 juillet le Motor Convoy & la Compagnie "C" arrivent en France. On July 15, the Motor Convoy & Company "C" arrived in France.

Le 18, les Compagnies "A", "B", et le Medical Detachment arrivent à leurs tours. On 18, Companies A, B, and the Medical Detachment arrived in their laps.

Le 22 le HQ arrive. On 22 the HQ arrives. et s'installe à Cherbourg , And moved to Cherbourg

Le 22 les "A", "B", "C", partent pour Lison. The 22 "A", "B", "C", leave for Lison.

Le 23 la HQ Co. On 23 the HQ Co. Arrive à Lison. Arrive at Lison. Remise en état des voies et des aiguillages, postes d'aiguillage, etc.; missions de reconnaissance en direction de Le Mans. Rehabilitation of tracks and switches, switch positions, and so on.; Reconnaissance missions in the direction of Le Mans.

Le bataillon est assigné à la manutention des trains d'approvisionnements depuis le secteur de Cherbourg, qui assurent l'appui logistique du General Patton lors des opérations dans la poche de Falaise. The battalion is assigned to train the handling of supplies from the area of Cherbourg, which provide logistic support from the General Patton during operations in the Falaise pocket. Les 10 premiers sont pilotés par des soldats du 720th. The first 10 are controlled by soldiers of the 720th.

Citations Citations

Colonel N.J. Colonel NJ Wilson, 21st British Area, cite le Bataillon pour ses performances dans le travail bien fait et avec efficience à Lison & Caen. Wilson, 21st British Area, cites the Battalion for its performance in a job well done and efficiently in Lison & Caen.

GO 42, du 1/06/45 Headquarters, Normandy Base: Commendations for the Meritorious Performance of Duty by the 720th Railway Battalion. GO 42, 1/06/45 Headquarters, Normandy Base: Commendations for the Meritorious Performance of Duty by the 720th Railway Battalion.

GO 8, 22/07/44; Headquarters, Chanor Base Area; Commendation for the Superior Performance of Duty by the 720th Railway Operating Battalion. GO 8, 22/07/44; Headquarters, Chanor Base Area; Commendation for the Superior Performance of Duty by the 720th Railway Operating Battalion.

Capt. Capt. Harold L. Harold L. Barr, Co. Barr, Co. "A", en mission de reconnaissance avec le Tech. "A", reconnaissance mission with Tech. Clardy Jr., est blessé; reçoit la Purple Heart. Clardy Jr., was wounded; Receives Purple Heart. Puis la Bronze Star Medal, et la French Croix de Guerre avec étoile d'or. Then the Bronze Star Medal, the French Croix de Guerre with gold star.

Pfc. Pfc. Edward P. Edward P. Sargent décoré de la Soldier's Medal, pour héroïsme à Wom, Shropshire, Angleterre. Sargent decorated with the Soldier's Medal for heroism at Wom, Shropshire, England.

Le 720th est supporté par le Chicago & Northwestern Railroad en date du 26/08/43 The 720th is supported by the Chicago & Northwestern Railroad dated 26/08/43

For some reason when I copied it from the site it went back to french. I guess its a computer thing. but try googling it like I did.....

CWgal,

Again, thanks for the additional information. I did get it to translate ( I should have looked a bit more) it was right there in front of me. Alas, I did not find more information about the 720th.

I did look around a bit and found another site that set me to a long listing of units and contacts. The 720th only directed me to another area that provided nothing: I could not even locate a web page as directed. I finally got lost through all the pages and closed the page. Frustration!

I'll try again tomorrow and let ya know what I find if anything.

Hoping your search has been successful,

geo

This is from the website that I found. It took me a while to figure out how I got there. I googled normandy 720th railway battallion. It was down a couple on the list and there was a notation of " translate this page" There were pictures of some of the railcars and stations on there too. Here is the basic scoop:

The 720th Railway Operating Battalion of the Transportation Corps, is in the reserve organized in 1923 as the 507th Engineer Battalion (Railway), and then renamed 507th Engineer Battalion (Railway Operating), in June 1933, then 720th Engineer Battalion, in February 1941 and lastly as 720th Railway Operating Battalion, Transportation Corps in December. 1942. 1942.

En août 43- devient une unité d'active, avec activation au Camp Harahan, New Orleans, Louisiane; pour l'entraînement de base. In August 43-becomes an active unit, with activation at Camp Harahan, New Orleans, Louisiana; for the trainer.

Nov. Nov. 43 Camp Cushing, Ft. 43 Camp Cushing, Ft Sam Houston, Texas, pour l'entrainement dit technique. Sam Houston, Texas, said the drive technology.

Janvier 44 quitte le Texas; rejoint Boston, le 19 janv. January 44 leaves Texas; joined Boston, 19 Jan quitte boston pour l'outremer. Boston left for overseas.

29 janvier arrive à Liverpool Jan. 29 arrives in Liverpool

Février au Camp Seamills, prés de Bristol; déployé en détachements depuis l'Est, l'Ouest, le Sud pour les opérations de transfert; maintenance des machines et des voies; mise sur les rails des wagons dans les dépôts en Angleterre, Ecosse et pays de galles, assure le maintient du réseau de chemin de fer en vue du D-day pour ses tronçons de voies. In February at Camp Seamills, near Bristol; detachments deployed in from the East, West, South for transfer operations; maintenance of machines and pathways; placed on the rails of cars in deposits in England, Scotland and south wales, ensures maintaining the rail network for the D-day for the sections of track. Le HQ à Sudbury dans le Staffordshire. The Sudbury HQ in Staffordshire.

Avril toutes les unités et détachements réunis à Kirkham, Lancashire; pour des stages en démolition, machine gun & camouflage. April all units and detachments meeting in Kirkham, Lancashire; internships for demolition, machine gun and camouflage.

Se déploie en sous la forme de 23 détachements, avec des missions ferroviaires; travail sur des navires (transbordements). Se unfolds in the form of 23 detachments, with rail missions; work on vessels (transshipment). Hq à Newbury dans le Berkshire. Hq in Newbury in Berkshire.

12 juillet mise en alerte se prépare pour l'embarquement pour la France. July 12 formal warning is preparing to embark for France.

Le 15 juillet le Motor Convoy & la Compagnie "C" arrivent en France. On July 15, the Motor Convoy & Company "C" arrived in France.

Le 18, les Compagnies "A", "B", et le Medical Detachment arrivent à leurs tours. On 18, Companies A, B, and the Medical Detachment arrived in their laps.

Le 22 le HQ arrive. On 22 the HQ arrives. et s'installe à Cherbourg , And moved to Cherbourg

Le 22 les "A", "B", "C", partent pour Lison. The 22 "A", "B", "C", leave for Lison.

Le 23 la HQ Co. On 23 the HQ Co. Arrive à Lison. Arrive at Lison. Remise en état des voies et des aiguillages, postes d'aiguillage, etc.; missions de reconnaissance en direction de Le Mans. Rehabilitation of tracks and switches, switch positions, and so on.; Reconnaissance missions in the direction of Le Mans.

Le bataillon est assigné à la manutention des trains d'approvisionnements depuis le secteur de Cherbourg, qui assurent l'appui logistique du General Patton lors des opérations dans la poche de Falaise. The battalion is assigned to train the handling of supplies from the area of Cherbourg, which provide logistic support from the General Patton during operations in the Falaise pocket. Les 10 premiers sont pilotés par des soldats du 720th. The first 10 are controlled by soldiers of the 720th.

Citations Citations

Colonel N.J. Colonel NJ Wilson, 21st British Area, cite le Bataillon pour ses performances dans le travail bien fait et avec efficience à Lison & Caen. Wilson, 21st British Area, cites the Battalion for its performance in a job well done and efficiently in Lison & Caen.

GO 42, du 1/06/45 Headquarters, Normandy Base: Commendations for the Meritorious Performance of Duty by the 720th Railway Battalion. GO 42, 1/06/45 Headquarters, Normandy Base: Commendations for the Meritorious Performance of Duty by the 720th Railway Battalion.

GO 8, 22/07/44; Headquarters, Chanor Base Area; Commendation for the Superior Performance of Duty by the 720th Railway Operating Battalion. GO 8, 22/07/44; Headquarters, Chanor Base Area; Commendation for the Superior Performance of Duty by the 720th Railway Operating Battalion.

Capt. Capt. Harold L. Harold L. Barr, Co. Barr, Co. "A", en mission de reconnaissance avec le Tech. "A", reconnaissance mission with Tech. Clardy Jr., est blessé; reçoit la Purple Heart. Clardy Jr., was wounded; Receives Purple Heart. Puis la Bronze Star Medal, et la French Croix de Guerre avec étoile d'or. Then the Bronze Star Medal, the French Croix de Guerre with gold star.

Pfc. Pfc. Edward P. Edward P. Sargent décoré de la Soldier's Medal, pour héroïsme à Wom, Shropshire, Angleterre. Sargent decorated with the Soldier's Medal for heroism at Wom, Shropshire, England.

Le 720th est supporté par le Chicago & Northwestern Railroad en date du 26/08/43 The 720th is supported by the Chicago & Northwestern Railroad dated 26/08/43

For some reason when I copied it from the site it went back to french. I guess its a computer thing. but try googling it like I did.....

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Edsel G Church - 78th Troop Carrier Squadron Walt's Daughter 1 3,045 01-02-2015, 08:39 PM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  Ernest Harry Whitworth Walt's Daughter 8 7,445 07-12-2011, 10:54 AM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter