Engineers on Omaha Beach

This letter was sent to James Hennessey, 87th Infantry Division:

Jim,

You may be interested to know that the pictures of the soldiers (A) taking cover and (B) struggling ashore on Omaha Beach were men from my outfit (Sixth Combat Engineer Amphibious Special Assault Brigade). Our mission was to get the 29th Inf. Div. across the beach and then continue to support it as it moved inland. I remained with the Brigade through Normandy and most of the Northern France Campaign. I then joined the 87th in mid December, '44.when it was decided the Infantry needed us more -- particularly, since we had all received basic Infantry training in the States before being assigned to the Brigade upon our arrival in England.

While we were in England preparing for the invasion someone thought that if the Infantry needed to locate an engineer in a hurry to clear a mine field, blow a pill box, shove a Bangalore Torpedo under a barbedwire entanglement, etc., then we should wear something that would make it easier for the Infantry to be able to quickly locate us. So, here's what some stupid jackass came up with.

Notice the 'WHITE ARC' stenciled on the front of our helmets and underneath, also stenciled, was our 'gold on blue' shoulder patch; it had a gold eagle on top, a Thompson submachine gun in the middle with both superimposed over a ship's anchor (like the "red on black" patch worn by the British Commandos).

Needless to say, it also made a perfect target for the Krauts to shoot at.

Suffice it to say, those of us who were lucky enough to make it to the beach, wasted no time trying to find mud or anything else to cover up the Arc and the patch.

In addition, all officers (Infantry as well as engineers) were instructed to have a WHITE vertical bar stenciled on the rear of their helmets while all NCOs (Corporals/Tech 5s and above) were instructed to have a WHITE horizontal bar stenciled on the rear of their helmets. That, too, got covered up.

I understand when they finally got around to cleaning up the beach several weeks later, they found a truck load of combat engineer helmets with bullet holes through or near the patch -- plus a number of Infantry and engineer helmets with holes in the vertical & horizontal bars on the rear of the helmets.

So much for smart planning! What would our liberal media press, TV, etc., do if anyone came up with the above idea for Iraq and/or Afghanistan!

Tom

Marion's note: I am trying to find out which photos he is referring to, and if so will post them here later...

Got it from Jim:

http://ebsr.net/ESBhistory.htm

Thanks buddy!

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Tom

I know you post is old and I surely hope you receive this one, my grandfather Emory R. Lafferty was in the 6th and on Omaha Beach D-Day. Your expression of your experience is priceless to anyone who knows yours is the Great Generation. You gave me some more insight to the horrific things you had to endure.

I never knew any of this until my mother passed away - and I found my grandfathers things, not too much and my fathers Tech 3 Herbert A. Bowyer, who was in the 276th and on the Remagen Bridge, I have a photo of him standing before the bridge before it fell. These items are so priceless to me and my son.

Thank you again for your dedication to our wonderful country.

Debi Bowyer

Let's see if we can get Jim (he supplied the original letter from his buddy Tom) to reply to this post.

Thanks for adding your thoughts, Debi.

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  147th Combat Engineers at Omaha Alain147 0 1,836 02-03-2022, 08:05 AM
Last Post: Alain147
  special service engineers & rail engineers Ron Nash 17 587,025 11-15-2012, 10:43 AM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  36th on Yellow Beach? Walt's Daughter 0 2,283 11-22-2006, 03:25 PM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter