True and loyal Belgian friends

Received this from John McAuliffe, 87th Inf Div:

M&M will be in the States on a visit as seen below. This is George Ciampa's (of Let Freedom Ring) welcome speech.

Subject: Speech for the dinner/get together for Mathilde and Marcel

Dear Mathilde and Marcel,

We welcome you here tonight as true and loyal Belgian friends. Most of those here tonight have been to Belgium and met you there. A few have come to see the people who they have heard so much about.

Over the past thirteen years, Dottie and I have told our friends that we feel that you are better Americans than many in our own country. We have seen what you are, and how you continue to be hosts to so many American veterans of WW II and their families. How you have fed and sheltered them in your home next to your wonderful Remember Museum on what was once a farm. And you do the same with our service men and women who are now serving in Iraq and Afghanistan and are stationed in Germany, many of whom are there recuperating from battle wounds.

Let us not forget how you have adopted so many graves of those who gave their lives in the liberation of your country. And you find others to do the same.

You are friends of generals and privates and plain citizens. They all love you and cannot express how wonderful you both are. In a few days you will be guests of retired general David Grange, who we met through you, to be at a Veterans Day ceremony in Illinois.

My buddy, 607th GR Company, Vito Mastrangelo and his wife Theresa, met you in 1994 when you opened your museum and I believe they are among the first American veterans that you met. Because of that meeting, Dottie and I met you shortly thereafter and knowing you has been a highlight of our lives.

Mathilde and Marcel, I cannot tell you the impact you have made on the lives of so many Americans. Veterans who served in Belgium during the war, all, without exception, feel that the Belgian people are wonderful and you are special. What a great example you are.

For those who don’t know, Mathilde and Marcel Schmetz received, this year, the U.S. Army’s highest civilian award. Congratulations and thank you for everything you do!!

Vive le Belgique.

Cher Mathilde et Marcel,

Nous vous accueillons ici ce soir comme les amis vrais et loyaux belges. La plupart de ces ce soir a été ici à la Belgique et vous a rencontré là-bas. Quelques-uns sont venus voir les gens qu'ils ont entendus si beaucoup de.

Par-dessus le passé treize années, Dottie et j'ai dit nos amis que nous sentons que vous êtes meilleur Américains que beaucoup en notre pays. Nous avons vu que vous êtes, et comment vous continuez à être des hôtes à tant de vétérans américains de WW deux et leurs familles. Comment vous avez nourri et les avez abrités dans votre maison à côté de votre merveilleux Rappelez le Musée sur quel était une fois une ferme. Et vous faites le même avec nos hommes de service et les femmes qui servez maintenant dans Iraq et Afghanistan et êtes stationné en allemagne, beaucoup d'entre que récupère là-bas des blessures de combat.

Nous laisser n'oublie pas comment vous avez adopté tant de tombes de ceux qui a donné leur habite en la libération de votre pays. Et vous trouvez des autres pour faire le même.

Vous êtes des amis de générals et de privates et les citoyens simples. Ils vous aiment et ne peut pas exprimer comment merveilleux vous les deux sont. Dans quelques jours vous serez des invités de Ferme de David générale retraitée, que nous avons rencontré par vous, être à une cérémonie de Jour Des Anciens Combattants dans Illinois.

Mon copain, ma Compagnie de GR 607, Vito Mastrangelo et son Theresa de femme, vous a rencontré dans 1994 quand vous avez ouvert votre musée et je crois qu'ils sont parmi les vétérans premièrement américains que vous avez rencontré. A cause de que rencontrant, Dottie et je vous ai rencontré par la suite et sachant bientôt que vous avez été un essentiel de nos vies.

Mathilde et Marcel, je ne peux pas vous dire l'impact vous avez fait sur les vies de tant d'Américains. Les vétérans qui ont servi dans Belgique pendant la guerre, tout, sans l'exception, se sentir que les gens belges sont merveilleux et vous êtes spécial. Qu'un grand exemple que vous êtes.

Pour ceux qui ne sait pas, Mathilde et Marcel Schmetz a reçu, cette année, la plus haute récompense civile de l'Armée américaine. Les félicitations et merci pour tout vous faites ! !

Vive le Belgique.

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

The residents of Belgium were very friendly and compassionate towards the American GI. Not

only being there Liberators,the American was

and still considered as a family member.On those

cold and dreary nights in the Ardennes,many a

GI was invited inside their homes and shared

the warmth of a pot belly stove. The town of

Rondu stands out in my memories,as to inviting

members of my unit inside to be warm.To this day I tell all my friends,how friendly and brave

the Belgium people were during those terrible

days. Thank You and God Bless The People Of

Belgium.

Jim Hennessey-Co.E.-345th-Regt.-87th

Infantry Division

Dieu vous benisse citoyens de Belgique!!!

MERCI!!!!!!! :wub:-o-

Mary Ann

:armata_PDT_37:

Mary Ann:-

Et la meme pour moi. Les Belgiques sont merveilleux

Sgtleo :clappin::clappin:

You succeeded in making at least this Belgian blush.

We should thank the American (and British, Canadian, Polish, etc) Veterans for what they did.

They chased the Hun back to his Heimat and got us from under Nazi rule. :armata_PDT_37:

Our gratitude is forever.

Erwin

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Twin Boys WWII Dream Comes True - Veteran from the Yorktown Walt's Daughter 0 2,337 04-05-2015, 11:05 AM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  Belgian Nurse Honored Walt's Daughter 0 1,934 12-15-2011, 12:36 AM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  A true volunteer Sergei Molotov 0 81,659 10-29-2004, 10:58 PM
Last Post: Sergei Molotov