26th Infantry On Coastal Patrol 1942-1943

WAHOOO!!! I finally got this book and it's FANTASTIC!!!! :clappin:

The author Dennis Connole wrote the book after researching his Dad's military service. His father "Joe" Connole was reluctant to talk about the war: "..whenever I approached him about his part in the war, he would become upset, sometimes angry, I stopped asking". Sound familiar? After his Dad died, Dennis said that even though he'd promised himself to chk into his military service - he never seem to be able to make time to begin (I can relate to that too!). He credits reading William Manchester's memoir of the Pacific War "Goodbye, Darkness" as a motivating influence.

Mr Connole's Dad and my Dad were both inducted into the 181st infantry (Joe Connole was 2nd battalion Company H and my father was 1st Battalion Company C) in january '41and both sent to Camp Edwards in March '41. This book gives incredibly detailed info from the selectees arrival at camp Edwards, their basic training, a 3 day public relations bivouac in Worcester, their advanced infantry training, VI Corps manuevars at Ft Devens, the Carolina Maneuvars,

and what happened when they returned to Edwards and heard the news of the attack on Pearl. In other words, for the first time I now have a detailed account of everything my Dad experienced from 1/1941 through 1/1942.

I'm SO EXCITED!!!! OK, I'll calm down!

More later...

M2

Messages In This Thread
26th Infantry On Coastal Patrol 1942-1943 - by 206thmpco - 03-10-2008, 05:28 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Fuel to the Troops: A Memoir of the 698th Engineer Petroleum Distribution Company 1943-1945 Walt's Daughter 0 2,711 05-08-2012, 08:33 AM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  TIME MAGAZINE SEPTEMBER 1942 afc7883 2 4,323 06-06-2009, 06:37 PM
Last Post: Jeeper704