179th Engineer Combat Battalion

Hi - I am looking for information about my Grandfather and his unit. The only information I have is that he was in Company C 179th Engineer Combat Battalion . He arrived in Europe 11-3-44 and returned to the US 10-9-45. His discharge papers state that he was in these battles/campaigns: Rhineland, Ardennes, Central Europe. I have not had much luck finding information about the 179th. Thanks for any help you may be able to provide!

Ah Roger that and welcome Barb. Yes it's difficult to find info on many of the engineering units, so you are not alone. B)

Let's see what I can dig up over the weekend. I promise to get back with you as soon as I can.

Thanks for visiting our site and thanks for joining our forum. We have a lot of good and knowledgeable people too.

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Thank you for the reply - :D . I may be on the wrong track entirely but I found a reference stating that the 179th Combat Engineers were attached to the 357th Infantry which was assigned to the 90th Infantry Division. Does this make any sense? My grandfather died in 1980 and he never discussed anything about his military service with his family. I do have his service/serial number. I want to get as much information as I can for my Mom and my boys but I need to make sure I am on the right track. Thanks for any help/suggestions you may have!

According the the 90th Inf Div's records, their organic engineer unit (part of the permanent make-up of the div) was the 325th Engineer Combat Battalion.

Their attached units were:

148th Engr C Bn 21 - Jun 44-22 Jun 44

135th Engr C Bn 9 - Nov 44-21 Dec 44

44th Engr C Bn 4 - Mar 45-6 Mar 45

35th Engr C Bn 4 - Mar 45-10 Mar 45

What I have found this morning was the 179th Bn was part of the 1139th Combat Group. I will scan the pages later today. More to follow.

So bottom line - don't worry about the 90th! The units may have fought in some of the same areas, but they weren't part of the 90th.

Marion J Chard

According the the 90th Inf Div's records, their organic engineer unit (part of the permanent make-up of the div) was the 325th Engineer Combat Battalion

My quick-reference tables lists the 315th Combat Engineer Btn as the attached unit for the 90th "Tough 'Ombres" Infantry Division.

The 325th Combat Engr Btn was attached to the 100th Infantry Division. Click on link in my signature for my reference table.

Steve

Here is a link that displays several photos of the 1139th Engineers giving a demonstration near Metz, France in October 1944.

http://www.lonesentry.com/S12/page5.html

---------------------------------------------------

The 1139th Engineer Combat Group built the first bridge over the Danube to support XX Corps' 71st Infantry Division. By 2215 hours, the group's 160th Engineer Combat Battalion had completed an M2 treadway at Sulzbach, just east of Regensburg. Group engineers also helped the 71st Division's 271st Engineer Combat Battalion to move infantry across in assault boats.

The November Battle for Metz

http://www.army.mil/cmh-pg/books/wwii/lorr...rraine-ch08.htm

774th TANK DESTROYER BATTALION

Link removed - no longer viable

This is taken from U.S. Army, 358th Infantry, 1st Battalion Journal, November 1944

http://www.worldhistorycompass.com/peragim...358journal.html

090330 Nov. At 0330 Bn jumped off for the attack by crossing the swollen Moselle River, which was the worst flood in 29 years, caused by the heavy rain of the preceding days. The EM carried the Assault Boats for one mile, from concealed positions to the bank of the Moselle River. The 179th Combat Engineers manned the boats for Co's "A" and "C" who led the crossing, while the EM of Co's "B", "D" and Hq Co. who followed, had to handle the boats themselves in making the crossing. "A" Co by passed the town of Besse Ham, and reached the railroad tracks. Co. "C" after landing attacked the town of Basse Ham, while Co. "B" after landing contacted Co. "A" and both companies then started forward to attack Fort Koenigsmacker where they met with heavy resistance caused by enemy shelling. At the close of the day several concrete shelters and German OP's had been taken by the Fort, while Co. "C" had cleared all but the S/W part of Basse Ham. 2 German prisoners were taken.

Coordinates: Fort Koenigsmacker 928877

Basse Ham 919887

Casualties : 28

------------------------------------------------------

Here is a contact for the 179th. Let me know if you successfully make contact.

179th Engineer Combat

Battalion Reunion Assn

Mr. Walter L. Schutzenbach

19 Parsons Drive

Dix Hills, NY 11746

(516) 423-7351

---------------------------------------------------------

More to come...

Marion J Chard

Here is some info on the 179th Combat Engineers. This is taken from History of the 305th Combat Engineers.

-----------

18-30 April 1945 - In the area of Bamberg-Nurnberg-Regensburg. The Battalion CP is located in Schesblitz, Germany, 18-22 April, Nurnberg, Germany 23-28 April, Regensberg, Germany 29 April and Ergolsbach, Germany 3 April 1945. Upon receipt of movement orders at Kandler, Germany for the Division to go to the Bamberg area, the 206th Engineer Combat Battalion was removed from support of the 305th Engineer Battalion. The battalion moved via Gera, in the vicinity of Erfurt, and Arnstadt to a concentration area at Schesblitz, where most of five days were devoted to cleaning up engineer and personal equipment, re-emphasizing the non-fraternization policy, and instruction in identification of Russian Air Craft. As the XX Corps advanced swiftly to the south of Bamberg, the 80th Infantry Division, in Corps reserve, followed, moving next to the City of Nurnberg. Here the battalion continued to work on previous engineers in clearing some debris and removing and destroying a considerable quantity of enemy explosives, ammunition, and panzerfausts, and artillery pieces. The main roads in the town were worked over, to the extent that unavoidable craters were filled or smoothed over and larger one distinctly marked to prevent accidents. The main streets were also marked and posted with signs to aid traffic circulation and convoy control in and through the city. With the crossing of the Danube River and subsequent capture of Regensberg by the 65th Infantry Division, the 80th Infantry Division passed through the 65th and went forward. At this time the 179th Engineer Combat Battalion, 1154th Engineer Group, came into support of the 305th Engineer Battalion. The 80th Division followed the 13th Armored Division to the Isaar River, with little necessary engineer work required. No bridges having been blown over the Isaar River, the 305th instituted reconnaissance and crossed with assault boats one battalion of the 317th Infantry. This was done successfully, while the 179th Engineer Battalion assembled equipment preparatory to constructing a floating Treadway Bridge and ferry on the Isaar River in the vicinity of Dingolfing and Manning, respectfully. 2 Men WIA, 1 Man KIA. 169 Prisoners of War were taken. 1 Bronze Star, 1 Oak Leaf Cluster, 3 Purple Heart, and 1 Oak Leaf Cluster. 1-8 May 1945 - In an area vicinity of Ergolsbach, Germany to Vocklabruck, Austria. The Battalion CP was located at Ergolsbach, Germany 1 May 1945, Marklkofen, Germany 2 May, Simbach, Germany 3-4 May, Vocklabruck, Austria 5-8 May 1945.

Marion J Chard

Irwin Gordon

LINK REVISED - 09-05-09

Marion J Chard

Here is a reference to the 7th Armored Div. Seems they were "attached" to them for a time.

-------------------

Other U. S. units, some attached to 7th Armored Division

First U. S. Army - 1

1st Infantry Division - 1

Third U. S. Army - 1

5th Armored Division - 1

5th Infantry Division - 3

10th Infantry Regiment - 2

11th Infantry Regiment - 2

XX Corps - 2

35th Infantry Division - 1

320th Infantry Regiment - 1

61st General Hospital - 1

80th Infantry Division - 1

90th Infantry Division - 1

97th General Hospital - 1

114th General Hospital - 1

154th General Hospital - 1

160th General Hospital - 1

179th Engineer Combat Battalion - 2

192nd General Hospital - 1

Locations Referenced - rated from 1 (minimal mention) to 5 (extensive

Marion J Chard

Found this obituary. It may be a thought to contact the family of this man in the future. He had resided in Rhode Island.

-------------

ANTONE A. MONIZ

FALL RIVER -- Antone Arruda Moniz, better known as "Slicer," 84, of Clegg Avenue, Tiverton, R.I., died Tuesday, March 12, 2002, at St. Anne's Hospital. He was the husband of Mary E. (Amaral) Moniz.

Born in Fall River, the son of the late Manuel and Catherine (Benevides) Moniz, he lived in Tiverton since 1943.

He was a production controller at the Naval Air Station at Quonset Point until he retired at age 55.

Mr. Moniz was a technician fifth grade with Company A, 179th Engineer Combat Battalion, in the Army.

He was a veteran of World War II and received the European African Eastern Campaign Ribbon with four service stars, the Good Conduct Medal and the Bronze Star.

He was a former commander of the Tiverton Veterans of Foreign Wars post.

He was the second-oldest member of the Liberal Club, and was a communicant of Holy Ghost Parish.

Survivors include his widow; two daughters, Geraldine Paquin of North Providence, R.I., and Cynthia Moniz of Canterbury, N.H.; a son, Michael Moniz of East Freetown; a sister, Constance Amarello of Fall River; three grandchildren; and several nieces and nephews.

He was the brother of the late Manuel "Pracky" Moniz and Frank Moniz.

His funeral will be at 10 a.m. Friday at Pocasset Memorial Funeral Home, 462 Main Road, Tiverton, with a Mass at 11 at Holy Ghost Church, Judson Street, Tiverton.

Burial will be in Pocasset Hill Cemetery, Main Road, Tiverton.

Marion J Chard

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The 187th Engineer Combat Bn PDP2020 0 2,338 12-05-2022, 04:48 PM
Last Post: PDP2020
  250 Engineer Battalion Company Research R Eric 0 2,708 11-08-2022, 03:27 AM
Last Post: R Eric
  2827th Engineer Battalion Walt's Daughter 3 11,319 11-19-2019, 08:56 AM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  245th Engineer Combat Battalion, U.S. Third Army 1874thhistorian 5 13,339 08-21-2019, 01:01 AM
Last Post: mikel
  174th Engineer Combat Battalion Wendy 4 12,023 04-22-2019, 08:41 PM
  1274th Engineer Construction Battalion cincinnatikid 3 6,413 03-25-2019, 02:57 PM
  291st Engineer Combat Battalion Roster EngineerReenactor 9 20,035 02-01-2019, 02:42 PM
Last Post: mikel
  169th Engineer Combat Battalion angatti 15 20,802 10-07-2018, 11:41 AM
Last Post: angatti
  Camp Gordon Georgia 551 heavy engineer pontoon battalion photos Georgejohn 12 12,217 09-20-2018, 01:23 AM
Last Post: Georgejohn
  Jack Frank 1142nd Combat Engineer Group Frank Gubbels 4 5,857 05-27-2018, 03:11 AM
Last Post: Frank Gubbels