'WEREWOLVES' IN post-WWII GERMANY

This morning on C-SPAN a retired US Army officer was making a comparison between the current 'insurgents' in Iraq and the "Werewolves' of post-war Germany to make a point. He said that "thousands of American soldiers and German civilians were killed by these diehard nazis in 1946." Without getting into another subject I have always heard that the werewolves were never able to cause much damage and the death toll from them was in the low hundreds (or less) at best. I know they executed a few town Mayors for collaberating with the Allies and killed some troops using roadside bombs and boobytraps, but were never considered a serious threat to the Allied Victory. Certainly the figures I have heard were not in the thousands.

Dogdaddy :woof:

I've never heard that either. :armata_PDT_23: That would be a matter for some investigation, don't you think? :drinkin:
Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

What a bunch of dam foolishness. I spent quite a few months in Austria and Germany at wars end while waiting to go home and I never saw or heard any true accounts of Wherewolve damage. Several roumers but no facts. I doubt that much damage or deaths was done by them. Most Germans were damn thankfull to be in the American Zone of Occupation

and not in the Russian Zone .

Yes, I agree with your assessment. I never heard of this either. Sounds like a crock of you-know-what to me too. All our guys were there and I never heard any of them speak of this. If it was that prevalent as retired US Army officer claims, then a lot more of you would have been aware of it. Someone else trying to make a play on history. :o
Marion J Chard

I thought it sounded like a crock of horse chips myself...Thank you for your comments! :rolleyes:

Dogdaddy :woof:

You are welcome. It's great to have interesting conversations on ALL sorts of topics from A-Z on our forum. A lot of time we can dispel notions, sometimes elaborate, and other times just enjoy a hearty exchange between adults. :armata_PDT_37:
Marion J Chard

Retired Officers on C SPAN etc. seem to be the most misguided bunch I have ever listened to . Maybe they are well paid by the studio and read what is put before them as fact.

Geez are they that desperate for news? Seems there's enough out there to keep us all occupied without all the crap and revisionism! :pdt33:
Marion J Chard

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A post to America Airlines regarding WWII veteran Walt's Daughter 6 6,366 06-21-2015, 12:59 PM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  D-Day to Germany - (Rare HD color footage) sixgun 3 4,381 11-20-2014, 09:24 AM
Last Post: Jean Jacobson
  Post VE Day letter from MP buddy in Austria arve 15 12,522 09-12-2007, 03:45 PM
Last Post: Sgtleo
  Germany's "Stomach Battalion" afc7883 6 7,159 04-17-2007, 04:03 PM
Last Post: Sgtleo