DRAGOON, THE OTHER INVASION OF FRANCE

Found this today. Gotta have it.

DRAGOON, THE OTHER INVASION OF FRANCE, AUGUST 15, 1944... THE LARGEST OPERATION OF ITS KIND in the European War. An hour-by-hour account of the fighting with 750+ supporting photos & illustrations. Extra large volume.

DRAGOON by Paul Gaujac. The preparation of the Provence landing in August 1944 was so precise that, against all odds, everything went exactly as scheduled. Therefore, this book emphasizes on the military planning involving all the units and equipments used. The second part of the book deals with the landing operations themselves and the first three days of fighting in Provence, by US troops, up to the arrival of the French 1st Army.

The second largest US landing operation in France has never received such a detailed coverage, both in preparation and in execution, Dragoon became the LARGEST OPERATION OF ITS KIND in the European War, involving 1,000 ships, 3,000 aircraft and ultimately 1,000,000 troops! More than 60 color profiles of aircraft and landing crafts and ships.

U.S. units covered include:

3rd Infantry Division

36th Infantry Division,

45th Infantry Division,

442nd Regimental Combat Team

517th Parachute Regiment,

551st Parachute Infantry,

509th Parachute Infantry,

First Spec Service Force,

1st Airborne Task Force,

Seventh U.S. Army

American Pathfinders

540th Combat Engineers

40th Combat Engineer Regiment

36th Combat Engineer Regiment

191st Tank Battalion

756th Tank Battalion

601st Tank Destroyer Battalion and other Tank Destroyer units

USS Brooklyn and many other warships

Plus French forces

The August 1944 Allied Invasion of Southern France - Second only in scope to the Normandy Invasion, 'Operation Dragoon' (aka Anvil) is the little known controversial Allied invasion of the French Mediterranean coast. Initially planned to coincide with D-Day, Operation Dragoon bogged down between American and British hierarchy.

In the end, the joint Seventh U.S. Army and British troops annihilated Hitler's 19th Army, captured over 100,000 German soldiers, and liberated two-thirds of France in just 30 days. The video provides original footage with superb naration.

http://www.military.cibmedia.com/main-sear...ductcode=CM-509

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Oh yeah, this is a MUST HAVE! Thanks for finding it Marion!

"the 2nd largest US landing operation in France has never received such detailed coverage".

No kidding! It's only taken 63 years.

:angry:

Now I am hunting for the best price. Always the bargain gal! :armata_PDT_37:
Marion J Chard

Maybe I can help, M1. "bargain hunting" is my profession.

One of my many "hats", is buyer of all computer hardware, parts & peripherals

for resale. Our customers are booksellers and one of them is the

bookstore at the United States Military Academy at West Point.

I can't promise anything, but I'll call 'em & see what happens.

Thanks for the heads-up, but I already purchased one from Amazon.com. They had a good price and I did some comparison shopping. Everyone else was much higher!!

Hey did you know that I am a computer consultant? I've had my own company for almost 20 years. It's my OTHER love! :heartpump:

My vet friend Dick Feist, already ordered the book from Amazon too. Looks like we started a good thing. :armata_PDT_37:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/291523950...;pf_rd_i=507846

Marion J Chard

Amazon is really great! I buy alot of books from them.

I also haunt the New England Mobile Bookfair which is a huge book warehouse (nirvana!)

and all books are always at least 20% off. I used to work right across the street from them

when I worked at Honeywell and had to resist the temptation ( not very successfully)to spend

my lunch hour & paycheck over there. Their slogan is appropriately: " I only came for one book...". I know that I've never managed to walk outta there with less that 3.

Hey did you know that I am a computer consultant? I've had my own company for almost 20 years. It's my OTHER love! :heartpump:

Geez, Marion! We ARE kindred spirits. It's amazing!

Man, oh man! Got my book and am I ever pleased. It's a KEEPER! :armata_PDT_37:

Very nicely done. Large book with nice layout. Plenty of photos and maps and diagrams. Lots of research here folks.

Many of these photos I have never seen before, and that is rare for me. Just by doing a quick peruse, I have already found photos of my VI Corps engineers: the 540th and the 36th, so far.

One of the best books I've added to my collection in years. Pays attention to everyone involved in the invasion, from airborne to engineers, infantry to artillery, navy to flight squandrons and everyone in between.

Easy to follow too.

It's so wonderful to see lots of detail on the engineers. That is SO rare. I must write to the author and thank him for his work. :drinkin::pdt34::pdt34:

Marion J Chard

I always judge a book by it's cover...

Great Cover

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/images/29...155&s=books

post-32-1189948052_thumb.jpg

Attached Files
.jpg   51WRZG18QTL__SS500_.jpg (Size: 20.09 KB / Downloads: 0)

Well this is what I am thinking of for my book cover. Already talked to the family members about permission to use said drawing by 540th member, Joel Minkoff. Don't have final cover design down yet with title, but you will get the drift...

Would you buy a book from this lady? :frown:

post-2-1189951701_thumb.jpg

Attached Files
.jpg   Mink1sm.jpg (Size: 82.36 KB / Downloads: 0)
Marion J Chard

I like it. If there's a list , sign me up, as long as it's an autographed copy.

I would hate to have to buy one of your cancelled checks off Ebay! :D

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help finding a copy of "Some Sidelights of Operation Dragoon" Walt's Daughter 0 3,152 05-17-2014, 08:48 AM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  The Seventh United States Army-Report of Operations-France & Germany 1944-45 Walt's Daughter 2 6,540 05-12-2011, 10:15 PM
  Pocket Guide to the Cities of Southern France - '44 Walt's Daughter 0 2,907 12-21-2010, 04:56 PM
  OPERATION DRAGOON: The Liberation of Southern France 1944 Walt's Daughter 0 2,917 02-10-2010, 10:25 AM
  Operation Dragoon 1944: France's other D-Day Walt's Daughter 1 3,967 06-15-2009, 11:21 AM
Last Post: 206thmpco